What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes folks, I'm getting bored waiting for the Surface Pro 4, and the growing consensus of prognosticators is leaving me far less than impressed (of course, its the tock cycle, what should I expect). So folks, time to change the conversation to what we WANT in the Surface Pro 5! Maybe, just maybe, they haven't already finalized the design (face facts, these things get pretty locked down LONG before announcement, much less release).

#1 - I'm going to start with something very controversial - DO NOT CHANGE THE FORM FACTOR. IF they can get an even more efficient fanless design - STUFF IT FULL OF BATTERY. Really distinguish yourself from the iPad, and take note of what they've done on the Air and MacBook - tiny system boards and the rest crammed full of battery.

#2 - THREE Intel Thunderbolt 3 ports - very little space utilization; maximum throughput; excellent video and data performance - eliminate proprietary charger and us one of them for the dock! (See #7)

#3 - 8gb minimum and 16gb RAM upgrade - NO MORE 4gb.

#4 - NO MORE BEZELS! Make the whole screen THE WHOLE SCREEN.

#5 - Type cover and pen included in the box. Sick and tired of complaining reviewers; and a coupon to exchange an unopened keyboard for a colored model.

#6 - Optional hard form (regular) keyboard with more battery.

#7 - Mini dock (to go with the Thunderbolt 3) so you could have expansion without the hulk on your desk - especially important for those of us that like to take notes on our SPro while still docked.

OK - join the fun, or flame away for being an idiot when SPro 4 hasn't even seen the light of day yet.

sonichedgehog360 and Aman like this.
  2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

So, is it true Cannonlake is delayed and most likely see another 14nm chip code name Kabylake?

3. XJ12

How about:

Introducing the New Surface Pro 5 with Windows 10.1 (tablet edition)

alextrela182 and JoeS like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Surface Pro 5, watch Holo Lens come alive in a wearable form factor.

Ok, ok, Surface Pro 7 then.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Great - all I attract to my new thread is a bunch of comedians...

I'm supposed to be the comic relief around here...

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Just my biggest thing with mobile devices... the SP3 is already thin enough. Stop making devices thinner. I dont want thinner especially with something that is supposed to replace my laptop. I want a bigger and fatter battery.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  7. XJ12

8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

You know I am envious about the macbook users who get 12 hours on their 13" MB. I really do want that type of longevity.

9. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea to more battery and no (or at least less) bezel.

Charging port as per the S3 seems like a given...?

Probably impossible, but what I could REALLY use is a stand that is just as amazing for portrait mode. I'm much happier inking through meetings than typing and portrait is part of what makes inking enjoyable. But that means keeping the thing balanced on my perpetually crossed legs if I want a usable angle.

No, I don't have a clue how a bi-orientation stand would work, but I'm not a millionaire playboy industrial designer, am I?

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OK, I'll try:

- docking cable rather than docking cradle, like Lenovo OneLink dock, using USB-C.
    - Option for a 'pro dock' adding seriously powerful graphics when docked
    - Fast charge
    - couple of additional USB-C ports, maybe one USB3
    - Fingerprint reader
    - Agreed on edge-to-edge screen, possibly with virtual bezels in tablet mode (non-responsive darkened edges of the screen for gripping. Intel demoed this over a year ago)
    - What the heck why not, a no-glasses 3D screen that works in portrait and landscape, using parallax barrier technology (not sure if this works for large screens up close though), and added subtle 3D effects, like active windows appearing slightly closer than background windows. Must have an option to turn off. Yes yes it's a gimmick, I said you could turn it off!
    - standard included GPS
    - unfathomably great speakers approaching 'magical' level.
    - Glance screen like my lumia and still great battery life (good luck)
    - pen tech with greater hover distance and more Wacom-like responsiveness. Yes yes NTrig is pretty good.
    - way out: some cool paint on the case that can change color and hold that color with low power draw. Like color e-ink, but all over the device body. Want a red Surface 5 today? Just dial in the color! :) C'mon MS, make it happen.

OK, that's all I got, apparently the Surface line is already pretty great.

southdunes and Mesosphere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.