What do you use your active digitizer for?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Mesosphere, Aug 30, 2013.

?

What do you use your pen for?

1. Art

29 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Note Taking (student).

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Note Taking (professional).

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. A more accurate finger.

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Other (please share).

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. My tablet came with it. I don't use it.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I believe this a quirk of the forum migration, if you press the Show Results Button....

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I'm just wondering if users who have not already voted receive the same error when they attempt to vote.

tijo likes this.
  3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just voted: the answer is no :D

Anyway, my vote explained:

Other, please explain. I use it to jot down some quick notes I need to remember, can be professional, but also recreational. Mostly for shopping lists. My Note is my grocery shopping list for our weekly grocery shopping (I put it in OneNote) and I put all things we need to get to town for (or order from a webshop...) in OneNote as well.

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. Mesosphere

Seems most the people who have voted "Other" do some sort of non student/professional note taking.

We note takers definitely seems to outnumber those pesky artists =)

5. Mesosphere

Oh, and thanks for testing the poll. It seems only those who have already voted receive the error message when they try to vote.

6. Mesosphere

And it seems spinedoc can change his signature. There is no longer a 120 second delay between posts =P

JoeS likes this.
  7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, I never knew of OneNote until February 20th of this year, when I got my Note 8. And I've been an office user since Word 6... (before that I used WP). I might have seen it both on my PC and on my Windows Phone, but I never appreciated it until I had that pen enabled tablet. And now I use it exclusively (my HTC Flyer had a branded version of Evernote, which I used before I found out about OneNote).

8. electronbee

electronbee Pen Pal - Newbie

I use it for site surveys. I have to do A LOT of drag-and-drop actions, plus, scribbles. So, the tablet is the ideal device. Other people drag around a laptop, need a place to set it down, or find a cart to push it around. I use it as a companion device to my work laptop that was issued to me. If I need to run full blown AutoCAD then I need the "brick". But, AutoCAD Viewer is fine on my tablet, Visio works great, and office is also fine.

My first tablet was a HP TM2T, still have it, and love it for the Win7 TIP. Current one is a ThinkPad 10 that I got on sale and I bought the protective case to go along with it. This is a spectacular combination as I do have to go on a ladder on top of equipment racks from time to time. Use it a lot. I have "accepted" the Win8 Metro interface and have been actively tweaking it. But, they have got to bring back the Win7 TIP. I mean, how could they kick that to the curb?

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. ToddingtonToons

ToddingtonToons Pen Pal - Newbie

I like using it for animation as well as drawing. i.e clicking lots of tiny control points. It can be better than a mouse at times because of the time saved not dragging.

10. Lomir

Lomir Pen Pal - Newbie

I can not take part at the poll.. My digitizer (Windows 8.1 @ Surface Pro 2) is used for:

- general note taking and marking with MS Office, PDF viewers and editors
    - general drawing, even drawing games like the very successful DrawSth (before Zynga bought it..)
    - switches/icons/hotbars in programs that require a mouse
    - special program features like cutting sth. out of an image, underlining, etc. (Imagine PhotoShop and cutting out a face)
    - general text marking, many touch/finger-driven text operations do not work ok, even with android (I think thanks to Apple's law suit/copyright policies.. IMO IOs has the best finger-tip text marking system?)
    - data / file management operations, f.e. when you have to mark singular files and move them, etc. etc.
    - mail programs / management / many things which have to do with selecting
    - moving objects in PowerPoint, or making maps / diagram
    - as "Mouse", you'll preferably do this with a 2- or 3-button digitizer

My tip: get a 2-button digitizer (not the eraser extra button) two push your Digitizer over the limits and play with the settings.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Mesosphere likes this.