What do you use your active digitizer for?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Mesosphere, Aug 30, 2013.

?

What do you use your pen for?

1. Art

29 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Note Taking (student).

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Note Taking (professional).

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. A more accurate finger.

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Other (please share).

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. My tablet came with it. I don't use it.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

I answered this poll, "Other." I use a pen for absolutely everything. I stopped using a mouse if at all possible nearly 20 years ago. I hate using a mouse, with a passion. While it was one of the innovations that got l-users interested in Apple, I never liked a mouse. Once I discovered touch pads and digitizers, I never went back. In addition to using an active pen on my desk top, I've been using pen operated Windows based tablets for field work since 1998. When friends started bragging about their I-Pads a few years ago, I always answered, "I-Pad, my @$$." :)

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Use the active digitizer for note-taking and pdf markup. Also used for patient data entry and for measuring blobs on MRIs. :) Oh yeah, it's good for spotting film scans in Photoshop too.

As an aside I'm really intrigued by your use of a desktop and 'remote desktop' software, Mesosphere. A 'lightbulb' moment! Wow, I'm so low-tech. Gotta read up more about that.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use the stylus for lame old, completely necessary Notetaking- many forms- for particular subjects like clients, for portfolio research & ideas (it's great to develop my opinions and have links and snippets of the sources that helped me get there, continuing ed type of stuff. Largely in OneNote so far. I work as a financial advisor, so have time split between clients meetings in person or on the phone. And portfolio management, financial plan development/ analyses. I can capture data faster from a conversation when I'm using a pen or stylus (and clients still feel like you're not giving them full attention if you type). I have a couple templates to help guide my conversations.

We have heavy security restrictions as well (basically no file transfer, no wireless, no nothing- e-mail, but restricted as to what we can send.) But then our CRM is critical to me and integrated with client accounts (I do tasking to other folks, appointments and the full note history here- so keeping some "sync" between my notes and our account database/CRM is tough with the security restrictions. (I basically ship a .pdf of each conversation and my assistant uploads the document. (but not searchable!!) If the whole MS world doesn't more embrace pen then I'm never gonna have it at work....so I focus on the companion device role.

I'm considering the Note 12.2 now. (Been thru the SP1 and GalaxyN8 but returned them) Was using my Dell XT2, but really now with paper until I believe I can make the jump again- until I find something I really love. Maybe the TPT3 will prove best. If I go Android. I won't have OneNote, but their searchable ink is beginning to look worthwhile and is my key killer feature. A thinner device, better battery life (always drove me nuts when my machine would be dead upon pulling it out with a client (newest ones too). They'd be all "ooh neat- you're so advanced with your computer notebook" then I'd say.....yeah, well maybe too advanced- it's out of juice and then pull out the spiral ( I will confess to a love of good pen and great paper as well- Kokuya high grade or Mnemosyne B5 size. (Sorry that's worse than talking about Apple here isn't it.)

I generate a minimum of about 12 pages/ day. Very ordered in front of clients, then some chicken scratch as my daily "blotter".

Maybe I should have voted "Don't use it" but desperately want to again!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Mesosphere likes this.
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I had been using SSH with X-forwarding for years, but standard SSH can suffer from significant performance issues and more importantly if the connection is cut for some reason your active session is terminated, so I still held on to the need for local horsepower.

But with my discovery of NX (this is actually just SSH with a wrapper) and the improvements in Remote Desktop on the windows end it changed everything for me in terms of my mobile computing requirements. I could imagine use cases where this wouldn't work as well, such as latency intolerant or graphically intensive tasks, but for what I do that is computationally demanding, namely running computational codes and occasionally working on large format presentations (posters for conferences), there are very few draw backs and numerous advantages to offloading that work to more powerful remote machines.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

The Fuji Q584 may suite your needs. Have you looked at that? It is pricy, but no more so than a Surface Pro.

I hope I never have to learn to live with security restrictions like those =)

6. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, Meso. Very, VERY interesting. I'll definitely have a look at this option. Thanks again!

7. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Other: handwriting recognition! I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Actually, maybe I'm not surprised. I had to re-teach myself American cursive, which I hadn't used since grade school, to get it to work reliably. By now I've had 10 or 12 years practice working with it, but it can still be frustrating. But for those of us with repetitive stress injuries, it's a godsend. I think I will always have a soft spot for Microsoft for all the work they've done on handwriting recognition, for what must be little to no ROI.

Great poll, by the way! I wish I'd noticed it sooner...

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This poll's a bit biased by virtue of only allowing one choice when a lot of us multi-task.

I voted for student note-taking since that's been my primary use in my entire Tablet PC ownership history, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to use my Tablet PCs for artwork. Those Wacom digitizers demand it. I'm just not good at drawing anything yet, that's all.

I can't say I've seen anyone who personally hated mice so much before...sounds like you hate 'em even more than I hate trackpads.

Personally, I'm a "right tool for the job" sort of guy. I can't effectively handwrite or draw with a mouse (though there are some mouse artists out there that get all of my envy), but digitizer pens, trackpads, TrackPoints and most other pointing devices are no good for FPS gaming. I need both, really.

I didn't really bring up handwriting recognition, mostly because I feel the "instant conversion to text" approach as most people think of it is doing it wrong.

That's what made OneNote stand out to me: it did it RIGHT. The handwritten ink remained as ink unless I explicitly asked for a plain text conversion, and given that no handwriting recognition software is more powerful than the human brain that gives all those little lines and scribbles actual meaning and context, that's important, especially if it'll probably screw up when trying to jot down a math formula in pretty print with all the weird symbols and Greek letters and whatnot that they love to use.

Where the recognition actually kicked in was in building a background search index, letting me search all that handwriting with ease. It's such a simple, yet mindblowingly brilliant design decision that it baffles me that nobody thought of it sooner.

9. Mesosphere

I would say all polls are biased =) Even if I allowed multiple choice it would be biased in the sense that it would appear as though both choices had equal weight. So if (for example) a bunch of the voters did both art and note taking but note taking was the main reason they use it, but once in awhile they do some recreational art it would appear to bias the poll towards art. In either case, polls are always difficult to de-convolve and some inconclusiveness always remains.

ron2k_1 likes this.
  10. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait, I can't find the ink button...