What do you use your active digitizer for?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Mesosphere, Aug 30, 2013.

?

What do you use your pen for?

1. Art

29 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Note Taking (student).

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Note Taking (professional).

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. A more accurate finger.

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Other (please share).

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. My tablet came with it. I don't use it.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm a note taker and I'm surprised. I expected a larger ratio of artists as well.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Note taking and marking up pdfs. Sending handwritten emails in office Outlook. Like DC, I'll be the last to buy any Windows pc without an active digitizer, matter of fact any form of tablet at all. Just got the galaxy note 8.0 and love the almost perfect ink implementation by Samsung.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

3. Mesosphere

I've never bought a new mobile PC without an active digitizer. With the exception my first failed laptop which I gave up on after a few weeks (a heavily used ebay clunker with ~10 min of battery), every "laptop" I've ever bought has been a tablet pc with an active digitizer.

4. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right now, I have one with and one without and there is no sign of this changing. I can't have have the power that my M6700 packs in a tablet PC unfortunately.

5. Mesosphere

I used to always try to get tablets with maximum processing power. These days that power just goes unused. Remote desktop and NX are so good that even if I had a top spec laptop I'd rather offload it's heavy lifting onto my servers =) There isn't a laptop in existence that compares to my 6 core sandy bridge Xeon with 64GB of RAM, 512GB SSD, 26 TB RAID array, and most importantly Tesla K20 Compute GPU =P This does no good for graphics intensive stuff (like art programs), but, other than gaming (which I have little time for these days), I don't use any graphically demanding programs, and Desktops are better for the demanding games anyway.

Obviously this only works if you can get a dedicated always on computer to act as a server, but for me it is a much better solution than a heavy laptop that will get hot and kill the battery if I tax it, and, even then, it won't be half as fast as my puny tablet connect to my server.

6. tijo

Everyone has a different use case obviously, but for now, I need something that packs a decent punch and that I can carry with me. For example, there is one research center where I do some of my experiments where I can't connect my computer to their network, wireless has to be turned off, webcam disabled, taped, I have to sign paperwork and the person from the place that is with me has to sign the form too for me to be able to use my laptop on the site.

I'm also starting to use solidworks to design some sample holders, parts that I will need to have manufactured so the workstation will be quite handy for that too.

If I had guaranteed access to a faster desktop, it would be nice and eventually, I might, we're going to test some of our workloads on dedicated HPC servers in the coming months.

There's still the "issue" of LANs and gaming on the go, but that may very well change in the future too.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Security restrictions... It seems many people are limited by this. I hope I don't have to join you guys some day =P Luckily the university I work at is comparatively lax (compared to other universities) on network security rules.

As for LAN parties, yea I could see that. Unfortunately, I never did much of that back when I had time for it =/ The couple of times I did though were a lot of fun =) At that time though, my budget allowed for one laptop/tablet and the active digitizer was much higher priority since it was for work rather than play.

8. tijo

No problem with the university itself, but I deal with materials that are controlled goods and our partners don't mess with computer security because of that and for other reasons, so I can't connect to their network or use any kind of radio devices in their facilities. Heck, just transferring data from their network to my computer is a pain. It has to be done through e-mail, CDs/DVDs and if it's from a flash drive, said flash drive has to be analyzed for potential threats before it can be sued again. I also can't manipulate large quantities of those materials at the university because of safety concerns and I'm not even sure we'd be able to get the authorization from the uni's administration and the government with the right safety measures in place.

I'm also fairly new to the digitizer crowd, but it has significantly reduced my use of paper. I still use paper, will never be able to fully replace it, but the less I have to use, the better.

As an aside, the tech in the chemistry department at that research center use Elitebooks 2740p tabletPCs to take their lab notes. They use OneNote and sync everything to the main server.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  9. Mesosphere

I wasn't speaking specifically to your case. A lot of my colleagues who work on the same sorts of things I do (upper atmospheric research (not at all sensitive/secret information)) have all kinds of network/computer security restrictions that I don't face. They aren't doing anything of a sensitive nature, but just the basic university network policies tend to be a lot more strict than at my university.

I am not new to the digitizer crowd (roughly 10 year veteran). I like that it reduces paper usage. I'd probably need an extra book case or two if I hadn't made the switch ... (even worse I'm horrible at keeping papers organized, so it might never make it to a book case). For me though, it is less about reducing paper usage and more about the benefits of digital over paper.

10. tijo

I hear ya on stuff never making it to the book case and organization, my Office is always a mess. Less so now, but I still print some papers from time to time.