What do you use your active digitizer for?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Mesosphere, Aug 30, 2013.

?

What do you use your pen for?

1. Art

29 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Note Taking (student).

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Note Taking (professional).

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. A more accurate finger.

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Other (please share).

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. My tablet came with it. I don't use it.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Please vote for the principal reason you use a tablet with an active digitizer. If more than one option applies pick the one that is most important to you. If you pick "other", please post about it.

Oh and First!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

My vote is "Other."

Recreational math ("guesstimating stuff") and line drawing to visualize concepts. My last use was devoted to figuring out how much I had to mill off a scope mounting ring in order to correctly level the scope reticle. Turned out to be slightly less than 0.5 mm!

3. Mesosphere

Now calculate how to mill off 0.5 mm from the next tablet and you have a hit on your hands =P *ducks e-schreiber's bold font*

This sounds a lot like note taking to me of the "lab notebook" variety, which is how I use mine. Although, I guess it doesn’t fit in either professional or student =)

4. balistic

balistic wacom jock

I voted art, but my "other" is music production. A stylus is great for fine control of rotary knobs, and for drawing automation envelopes (and even sketching waveforms).

5. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I chose notetaking (student) because technically I am a student, but I use it to take lab notes for my PhD, so I'd say it falls somewhere between student and professionals. I know of at least one research center where they use OneNote and Tablet PCs to take and sync their lab notes.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

all the drawing stuff. hihihi :D

7. Mesosphere

I can relate to that. I just got mine last year. It seems most people I talked to about me being in graduate school (who didn't do grad school themselves) didn't really get that it is more like a job than "school". Most of my notes where research notes even while I was a student. I've never been much of a in class note taker although for some classes I did do that depending on the pace/format of the lecture. Mostly my "student" use was for problem sets (homework).

8. Mesosphere

To whomever voted other: Please tell us about it!

Also, I should have said "more precise finger" instead of accurate =P The digitizer can be quite inaccurate compared to the finger on the edges =P

9. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, when people ask me how grad studies are, I also tell them it's more like a job, I even get paid for it (requirement of my faculty/deparment) so I can concentrate on my research. Starting next semester, I'll also use it to prepare classes and solutions to heat transfer problems (TA work). Never been a note taker in class myself, but that is mostly because I don't like lugging a ton of notebooks and I tend to loose my notes, not a problem with a tablet.

10. Mesosphere

I'm sure this is heavily biased by the community we have here, but it's encouraging that we don't have any don't use it votes yet :p