What do you think?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nfwolfpryde, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therrol

therrol Pen Pal - Newbie

I need a new computer, and I was thinking of a dell 17" notebook with 1gb/100gb/go7800/2ghz duo for 1300 after a 40% of coupon

I think a tablet would be REALLY nice to have. I'd go into tablet mode when i'm doing graphic editing in photoshop or GIMP, and probably leave it like that for music as well. I'd use my computer for photoshop, video editing, music and movies. I rarely play games, but it might be nice every little while. A couple questions:

Whats the closest I can get to my dell with a 1500$ budget. I want at least x800, 80gb and 1gb. A core duo would be preferred but i'm okay with a PM or turion. Larger screen the better. This would also be my only computer.

what do you think? I won't be buying until august/late july

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Toshiba Tecra M4 would be your "closest" match...

3. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

I see you're a student like I am.

You have to realize a few things about tablets before purchasing one and being on a budget.

The digitizer (the "pen" parts of the tablet PC) are extremely expensive. The part itself runs ~$900-$1000 for the one part. That means that with your $1500, you're basically buying a $500 laptop, and I think you'll find the specs of the $1500 tablets comparable to a $500 laptop. It's all about how much the tablet PC aspect is worth to you.

Second, don't be looking at laptops now. You're not buying it for nearly 3 months, and like most things in this industry, they change on a weekly basis. I'd start doing research seriously your last month.

Otherwise, the M4 is your closest match RIGHT NOW. Maybe new ones will come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.