What cable to connect the Slate dock to a monitor?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by timpaatkins, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Im finally going to link up my Slate to a monitor, sicne my old vaio is on its last legs. But what cable to use?

Im looking to hook the Slates dock to the monitor,and that only has DVI or VGA, and Im assuming DVI is the way to go. Could anyone help me out and link me to a good cable on amazon? Its a jungle out there! IF there is a micro HDMI to HDMI to DVI that would be even better, I know there are some adapter plugs out there!

2. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

I've connected my slate to an external monitor/projector with multiple options - micro HDMI to HDMI cable or micro HDMI to HDMI adapter - both using the microHDMI plug on the S7S. I have a second dock that I carry with me and put on my desk at work - and usually use a full-size HDMI cable from the dock.

For when I need to use VGA, I purchased an inexpensive USB to VGA adapter - which I use when connecting to projectors for presentations (when they don't have HDMI).

I also carry with me an HDMI to DVI adapter, in case I encounter a monitor/projector that accepts DVI.

I picked up most of these items at Fry's - and they were all relatively inexpensive.

3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

Since my existing monitor doesn't have HDMI, I use a Displayport USB->DVI adapter (Toshiba Dynadock). I probably wouldn't use it for playing video games or watching movies, but it works great for work-related activities, web surfing, etc.

John

4. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

p.s. When I'm traveling on business (which is quite often these days) I also bring an external Toshiba USB monitor (Toshiba Mobile Monitors | us.toshiba.com) in my checked bag. That way I can have 2 monitors when I'm working in the evenings in my hotel room. It also doubles as a presentation device in small meetings.

John

5. timpaatkins

6. danholme

danholme Pen Pal - Newbie

It's sad that SAMSUNG doesn't make this more obvious, but it already has a beautiful microHDMI to VGA dongle:

Amazon.com: Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US Micro HDmi To VGA Adapter: Electronics

No need for USB-to-VGA, crazy drivers, etc. Plug-and-play.

7. timpaatkins

Ohh look at that, its "only" 40 bucks... whilst some HDMI cables will run about 5 bucks. If I could get them to work with my slate, which I cant... only slightly annoyed now... And what If I want to use the regualr HDMI connector that's on the dock?
    I feel like ive bought a Mac where anything you wanna do with it needs and extra connector or dongle at premium price. Thanks though Dan, if all else fails Ill have to resort to the extort!

8. fredskis

fredskis Pen Pal - Newbie

It's "only" $40 because HDMI is a purely digital signal and you want to downgrade that to a purely analogue VGA signal. The $40 pays for the active converter embedded in the cable to convert the signal.

A simple HDMI or even HDMI-DVI cable on the other hand does no conversion as both standards carry interchangeable video signals.

Personally I haven't had any issues using a HDMI-HDMI cable through the dock or a micro HDMI-HDMI cable straight from the tablet on my girlfriend's Panasonic TV, dad's cheapo Aldi TV and my Dell 2408WFPs.

There was mention in another thread of needing the dock plugged in to power in order for the HDMI port to work.

9. timpaatkins

Yea, that was my thread too. That was why I couldnt get it to work, needed to be plugged in to the juice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.