What art apps do you use on your Note?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by RZetlin, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Quite the collection! What are the third and fifth pens in the penabled section? are they both two-side-button pens?

Also I heard the AES wasn't that great compared to Penabled, how do you find it?

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

3rd: Gateway c-140 (1 button)
    5th Samsung Series 7 Slate (two button and eraser)

Not sure if you've seen any of my old posts from a couple of weeks ago.
    Here's one attempting a 1 pixel to 1,000 pixel stroke on the AES pen in MS5:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...wt8-b-encore-2-write.63815/page-4#post-425121
    I can't do that mark as smoothly on penabled or cintiq -I've tried. The penabled and Cintiq are nicer in other ways, but the registration and minimal parallax of the AES are great. I'm very happy with AES tech and clearly I have tried a lot of pens. I wish the buttons were more pronounced on the Toshiba Trupen but I'll fix that soon with some mods.

fishdavis likes this.
  3. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, Precurve. Those are very impressive results. Also you have a remarkably steady freehand straight line (was looking at the 15 second one in one of your earlier posts). Ugh, there goes my penabled collection.

Precurve likes this.
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Long time lurker, first time poster. I signed up specifically to corroborate Stoneseeker. Just checked on my GN 12.2 pro, and infinite painter is indeed pressure sensitive when painting with my finger. Wild!

Makes me wonder how much other functionality might be hiding under the hood. There were a lot of people who didn't know about the S - Pen based selection tool and cut and paste functionality, for example. Wouldn't it be wild if Cintiq pass - through mode was already in there somewhere, hiding in one of the Samsung bloatware apps.

stoneseeker and Precurve like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Although I haven't had time to make a passive stylus to test Precurve's theory, I am almost positive he is right. If I use my palm with the same pressure as a finger tip, it's thicker with the palm, so it seems Infinite Painter uses the size of touch contact area to give some pressure sensitivity to those tablet owners who only have fingers (or squishy passive styli) to work with! Freakin' genius! Does any other app do this??

6. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I only know enough to be dangerous but I'll be kind of surprised if this turns out to be the case. I have always assumed that the operating system intercepted all of the touch information and calculated position, velocity and all other multitouch information before it sent it off to the application. This theory suggests that one particular application is receiving the capacitive touch information before the OS does the calculation.
    Or I suppose it could mean or I suppose it could mean that the OS is interpreting pressure in this way and sending it as part of the touch information but that only this one particular application is making use of it.
    Very curious
    Capacitive ipod-touch-touch-sensing.jpg

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

curious indeed... This mystery is too much to keep to ourselves. We should make a new thread under hardware and see this solved once and for all!

8. TheSpacePope

TheSpacePope Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice on Artflow. It's very intuitive and lag isn't really an issue. so perfect.

Is there a way to work on a larger canvas though? If I zoom it at all, every brush becomes very pixelated, so that's not really an option.

Tried the finger pressure sensitivity in Artflow on the 10.1 (not 2014) and it's not sensitive.

9. stoneseeker

Glad your enjoying ArtFlow. The res can go up to 4096 x 4096 depending on your device RAM. That should be plenty but assuming you have a powerful enough tablet you probably need to purchase the app to get access to full res sizes.

The finger pressure mystery is only present in Infinite Painter, not ArtFlow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.