What art apps do you use on your Note?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by RZetlin, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I second the Dropbox backing up that Kumabjorn mentioned, here is an alternative way to do it from inside SBP

I didn't see anyone mention this (correct me if I'm wrong), but you can select your file in the SBP gallery and 'share' to psd which makes a copy of the file (of course this doesn't solve the auto save problem but is another way to save a backup.

you can also 'share to psd' directly to Dropbox from that share button if you have Dropbox installed.

SBP overwrites the same psd every time you 'share to psd' locally, it doesn't warn you about that of course...
    you could set up multiple folders in Dropbox and just save ('share') to a different one each time. this is all if you prefer to stay inside SBP rather than tabbing into other apps etc.

-- Also if you just want super fast backups of lower red sketches, for a looow tech suggestion I have screenshot set to a soft key and I periodically hit it everytime I make enough changes that I feel paranoid about losing work (about every half a minute :p) it's just really easy to hit the screenshot button rather than doing all the other stuff IMHO so I would hit it a lot more often than tabbing out and copying files etc.

I found Android apps pretty buggy and lossy in general, so since mostly it was all sketch type work it was a decent way of at least having a WIP history -- and the image is not completely lost, though of course it's limited to your screen resolution. but you know, better than nothing!

I also found Clover Paint easy to do 'save as x' with, so didn't lose work with it.

it sucks to lose work to a dumb bug like that, hope this helps a bit.

Also, in my experience infinite painter crashed a LOOOOOOT, maybe it's improved but that's always stopped me from wanting to do much more than doodle in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
  2. fishdavis

neat, I did not know about those, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Yeah. Given your time is valuable and what you put out in terms of art does not compare to what I put out in terms of quality and importance. I suggest you take extra steps in backing up your file (See my comments on Tasker below). As I said, you shouldn't be needing to labouriously taking the time to backup a file. But from what you say you pushing the limits of the machine, and I'm impressed because it takes a lot to stall these machines to the point that it needs to autocorrect (reset) resources. I heard (as most Sean Brakefiled's apps) infinite painter is quite resource hoggy. I believe the one that handles resources quite good (or better than Infinite Painter) is LayerPaint or even the new Painter Mobile app. That type of file corruption has not occurred to me yet on Sketchbook Android. What happened to me was that I was working on a file on my Note phone, and then I wanted to move to my Note 10.1 so I did the export thing to Dropbox from my phone and import it to my tablet. I generally hide bottom layers when concentrating on an area that needs specific attention. So it seems that I saved it that way and it got restored that way. So when I opened the file, it was restore to the last layer I was working on and the others were hidden. No problem, so I just continued drawing. Then I wanted to get perspective with all layers unhidden, and I start unhiding, just to realize that the app didn't restore all layers. It literally deleted like 3 layers (the ones with most content) from the top. Was so disappointed that I never got back to sketch...

If you pair it with this app, I think it's possible:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.synchronizeultimate
    This app is a plug in to Tasker, and it seems to make a good companion to the app for individual folder sync.

Nah, I just tried it with ES explorer as well I cannot write to the SD Card root. I can create folders but I cannot place anything in that folder. You see apps cannot write to non-app specific folders in the SD Card. All apps have a specific folder in this location: estSdCard>Android>Data. And apps can write to that folder. So that means that Astro File Manager have a folder in there called "com.metago.astro", so my work around is this:
    1. Open that folder with Astro
    2. Create folders in there like Movies, Sketches, Work, Documents, Images, etc
    3. Using the app I can then place movies in the Movies folder, and psd files in Sketches folders and so forth. No problem, as Astro is allowed to write to its own folder.
    4. I can then create a "Bookmark" from the context menu, and now I have a shortcut to that location when swiping from left.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. TheSpacePope

TheSpacePope Pen Pal - Newbie

So I'm getting a used 10.1 delivered today. Any developments in art apps for Notes. I'd be looking for the best optimized and easiest to navigate over concerns of features and price. Thoughts?

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've been testing them all quite a bit on my breaks at work these days, and I gotta say ArtFlow is still my favorite and the best by far for lag-free drawing, robust UI and features, organic nice brushes with plenty of customization, and overall stability. It has up to 16 layers, full QHD res canvas options, 50 nice brushes, and infinite undo! If I had to get rid of all but one art app for the NotePro, that one would be it.

Corel Painter and Infinite Painter tie in second place for me. Both have great brush engines, and Corel has my fav brush out of all of the apps. It's watercolor brush is the nicest I've seen even in contrast to full windows apps. It's a far more impressive brush than ArtRage's pathetic excuse for watercolor.

I find Sketchbook pro to be buggy and poorly optimized, but nice exporting and selecting features and decent brushes secure it in 3rd.

ArtRage is laggy to the point of unusable unless your style of creating is slow, methodical strokes. It has interesting tools and features that keep it interesting at least.

Serious Paint and Layer Paint HD are ok, but both lack features and are too laggy IMO. poorly optimized and sub par toolsets make them hard to recommend over the others above.

Bamboo Paper is good for absolutely nothing. Your better off with S-Note stocked with the Note pro (which is interesting vector note taker for a stock app).

I still have not tried Clover Paint, but I hear its better than all of them for features and performance.

Precurve likes this.
  6. fishdavis

Clover Paint is powerful, has the most compatibility for working with PSDs but definitely not for anyone who doesn't like (insanely) complicated UI etc. A couple of my friends got it and were immediately like OMG. Please. Help. Me. before giving up completely. The blending is a bit laggier than Corel Painter and ArtFlow IIRC, it's been a while so it might have been updated.

The Corel Painter and ArtFlow brushes are really nice though. What makes you prefer ArtFlow to Corel Painter, out of curiosity? I didn't buy the full version of Painter as I've not really been using my 10.1 anymore.

SBP I've never personally really liked, but people seem to find it really easy to pick up and use. I didn't know ArtRage was out for Android, it's really THAT horribly slow? On the original Note 10.1?

7. stoneseeker

No, I'm using the newest Note Pro 12.2, wifi version (exynos 8 core) . And yes, ArtRage is really that slow. Try drawing fast circles or even medium speed circles in that program, it just vectors your circles into weird straight lined closed shapes. Terrible lag and response. Slow steady painting is fine though. Its bad from the start and didn't seem to get any better or worse as I painted a portrait for an hour the other day.

The full version of Painter is excellent and so is ArtFlow. I like the ArtFlow overall experience better by a bit, but both are fantastic apps. AF's UI is slightly more intuitive and attractive, and I find brushes are consistently really nice. Corel has much better blending capacity, but is a little bit slower, and some of the brushes need serious tweaking before they feel enjoyable to use. They each have their place. Infinite Painter (recently huge update and overhaul) is just as good, have you given it a try yet? My only complaint with it is it gets a bit laggy as the file gets bigger, more than the other 2.

fishdavis likes this.
  8. fishdavis

Wow, that's terrible performance. thanks for saving me $6 lol.

I have Infinite Painter, probably haven't done the huge update yet -- I like it but it used to crash so much on me that I just couldn't stomach doing anything on it. Also had lag problems too. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check the update.

ArtFlow's really nice, I might get the Corel Painter upgrade. I like their blend brushes in the desktop version a lot. I don't use my 10.1 much ever since getting the AVTN8, but still doodle on it from time to time :) It's nice to have the larger screen sometimes. I also find the GN useful for doodling over PDFs with, like throwaway studies and stuff.

9. fishdavis

I just updated Infinite Painter (now it's under Infinite Studio Mobile?) and wow, it's so laggy now.

-- click brush menu
    -- wait three seconds for brush menu to actually appear

it's not consistent, sometimes it appears after 1 second :p and takes about the same varying amount of time to actually switch to the selected brush/close menu

There are a lot of lag spikes too, and some of the brushes are just unusable. A couple of the blending brushes are really nice though, when they're not in a lag spike, that is. Generally a lot of thinking time after selecting size, eyedropper, etc. Note 10.1 users be warned...

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

That's strange, for some reason I don't get that bad of lag in Infinite on my NotePro 12.2.
    I just tried again and was messing around and didn't have to wait to select brushes or experience lag spikes while painting, I mean still not as smooth as ArtFlow, but certainly usable.

But one thing I noticed just now has me reaaaallly confused. How is Infinite Painter handling pressure sensitivity?? I was lazy and selecting brushes and finger painting instead of getting out the Wacom pen, but I quickly realized that I was getting pressure sensitivity with my finger!! wtf??

This blows everything I've always understood about digitizer layers out of the water. I thought true pressure information could be sent with only dedicated active pens (like bluetooth pens or ones that send pressure info to the mic with high frequency signals) or with dedicated digitizer layers that communicate with the pen like Wacom and Ntrig etc.

If my finger is sending pressure info, does that mean the digitizer layer is interpreting my pressure through some unknown sensor built into the touchscreen portion itself??? sooooo confused. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.