Wellcome the new iPad to the Pen Tablet world!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by ron2k_1, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Yep. Steve Jobs is rolling and rolling over his grave now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressure and tilt sensitivity. Wacom, you heard me right! Tilt sensitivity!

I wonder what kind of pen tech they're using.

I really dislike apple branded stuff. But shhhh, I want one of these...

cleft likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just saw the relevant bits from Apple's Siri event in San Francisco.

That iPad Pro looks.., amazing.

A 12.9" 3:4 screen at 2,732 x 2,048?

Good! Excellent! The SP3 brought us a sensible screen, but...

It looks like Apple's new stylus may finally be the tech we've been waiting for. It looks like homebrew AES, but.., good. (None of that irritating N-Trig "first stroke lag" nonsense.) And (soon to be) actually available (Wacom's version is either being killed off after not being used to its fullest expression, (Toshiba's "Write" series) frustratingly difficult to order (Yoga 14), or just plain old MIA, (Yoga 15)).

Nice! It's embarrassing that Apple, which held out for so long, finally brings us a decent implementation after the Tablet PC manufacturers fudged around and squandered opportunity and endless lead time.

However...

We're still looking at non-pro art applications in the (somewhat ironically named) iPad Pro. How long will Apple users have to grumble before we see full versions of Photoshop and Mangastudio and similar for use on this?

Hopefully the iPad app community will push to make pro-level drawing, animation and paint programs. With any luck, this will give a kick in the pants to the half-baked stylus tech development we've seen over the past couple of years on PC tablets.

Anyway.., I'm not going to bash Apple for finally giving in on the whole stylus thing. It takes greater strength to admit you were wrong and do the smart thing than it does to stick your head in the sand. So welcome, Apple, to the stylus world. Good to have ya! I hope you sell a bunch of these things!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good for Apple! They may have had to munch a little crow, but it was the smart thing to do. And raising the bar on these kinds of devices, especially the pen tech, is beneficial to us all.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Such wow, much hype! (and I mean it, absolutely no sarcasm)

It's actually very promising to have this iPad Pro as a Cintiq alternative for real now! I've posted in Apple/iOS sub before, but it's worth to note again that there is an app called Astropad that enables an iPad to mirror the screen from a Mac with near zero-lag AND deliver pen pressure from the iPad. Hardware difference might not make straight compatibility right away, but the fact that Astropad devs are former Apple engineers gives so much hope. That will push the base package (iPad Pro + Pencil + Astropad) to astonishing $950 though, but it's just so promising!

*edit: I still can't fathom the non-expandable memory philosophy

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Azzart and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

So, are we absolutely positive it won't run, for example, the full Adobe Suite?

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Having owned an iPad 4 just for drawing, for me this is just something that's two years too late.
    Hope they at least managed a stylus nib that's of a different material from the other slick as hell styluses I used on the iPad.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its definitely a step in the right direction, but I doubt its gonna impressive any of us accustomed to EMR Windows Tablets.

I'm personally hoping that it is Apples own equivalent of of ES Tech.....if only because all the other Gimmick-Active Pens for the Ipad have been pretty awful. Even Wacoms own creative stylus & fineline for the Ipad I thought were pretty subpar pen experiences.

But I think the biggest mistake Apple made was not making the Apple Pencil compatible with the new Ipad Mini 4, or the Iphone 6s & 6+S.

The Ipad mini sales are in the garbage, and the Iphone is clearly not in its glamour days like it used to be. The Ipad Pro with its big size and expensive price tag I don't think would really be internal competition for either.

The addition of the apple pencil to the Iphones or Ipad mini could generate a much needed sales boost since its a feature that people would want to upgrade for.

I've been in the iphone camp for 2 gens now with the 4s & 5s (not a fan of Android).....but with the latest changes from IOS 8.....I'm pretty much gonna jump ship to the Samsung Note 5 with its Wacom S-Pen goodness (remember, I've been in the apple camp, so I'm well used to non-removable batteries and lack of expandable memory). An Iphone 6S "Compatible" with the Apple Pencil....would very well keep me in the Apple camp. So Apples gonna miss out from me this time.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wow. It will take a fantastic pen tech experience to win me over to their walled-garden, user-handcuffed, non-expandable universe. Hopefully it will encourage new rip-offs from other manufacturers at that screen ratio and density but with Wacom and Windows.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Will tilt to add shadows be enough? As a non-artist I found that feature tempting do I just assumed it would be even more so for a professional artist.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.