Well, I got a t5010 to try out, and I've got a few questions... :)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Steve B, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

LOL. Your confidence is inspiring. I will investigate!

2. Steve B

BTW, trying out undervolting tonight. I dl CPU Genie for a test run. So, we'll see how that goes, and if it makes a difference in running temps. My understanding is that it really only matters for the higher loads on the cpu though, rather than general idling.

I wonder how much of a difference a SSD would make in terms of temp. ??

3. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the normal software based undervolting only makes a real difference while the CPU is in the C0 state, which means "doing stuff".
    If you want a better approximation for the time the CPU spends working than the task manager provides you, go for the Process Explorer: Sysinternals Process Utilities
    Also important besides the time spent in C0 is also the amount of "real CPU load". You usually get load as the percentage of time the CPU spends doing something. Whether it just does simple stuff with one of its logical units or is using all of them makes no difference for this metric, but does for power consumption and hence heat dissipation.

So in short undervolting does not really help you with an idle system.

Something that just comes to mind: Run perfmon (win key, then type perfmon) and add battery discharge rate as a metric (green plus symbol). Then set display brightness to low, shut off wifi and wait for a good minute to see what the average power consumption is. Then switch on wifi and wait another good minute to see how much the average is now.
    You should end up somewhere around 10W for idle without wifi.
    If you end with much more, something's not working correctly.

An SSD can make a big difference. A normal spinning drive uses some power (~2-4W) that of course ends up as heat. If you choose one of the energy efficient SSDs, like the Intel 320, you can save almost all of that power. How much this affects temps and fan behaviour depends on the thermal construction of the housing. If the HDD sits on the far edge of CPU and such and dissipates heat through the housing there the difference will be next to none.

4. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't notice much heat difference on my 5010 between the intel 320 and a stock HD. There is a noticable lag on the stock HD compared to the SSD though.

5. Steve B

The peculiar part to me isn't that the t5010 runs hot- it doesn't. I consider high 40's acceptable. It's that the fan intermittently turns on and off. It goes from basically silent except for the HDD, to the (relatively reasonable) hum of a fan spinning up, running for a bit, then going silent again. I'd expect it if I were doing some painting or some such thing, but it just seems to do it randomly- or so it seems to me. And because it's really very quiet, one notices and is distracted by the sounds.

I'll explore opening the back and cleaning it.