Well, I got a t5010 to try out, and I've got a few questions... :)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Steve B, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Very interesting.
    I'm not sure if the availability of the option has sth to do with the low energy mode option or if you have a newer/different machine.

Edit: Well, Fujitsu's site is a bit tedious, but I can confirm the newest I can find is 3.05.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Tried changing the low energy mode setting, but that didn't do anything. Urgh!

3. Steve B

Btw, re: RAM. What I got is ddr3. I know that should work on the Fujitsu, but it might explain why it wouldn't work on the x200t, which I think is only ddr2 compatible. Just exchanged for a new 8 gb set. They gave me Patriot this time, so we'll see how that goes.

4. Steve B

Update- the new ram works, so that one's solved. Woohoo! Though I wonder to what purpose.... I had originally thought I might try out Painter 12 on this. Being that it's 64bit and has 8gb ram, I thought it might run smoother, but so far that's been a bust. I wonder what sort of use this setup might have for things like Artrage, SKP, and Paint Tool Sai, none of which are 64bit compatible, as far as I know, and only Artrage is multicore so far...... Any thoughts on that? I'm not sure I'm going to see any sort of noticeable improvement in those programs compared to the x200t, based on the specs of the programs I'm using.

Oh, and I've now figured out that I don't have pressure sensitivity in Artrage or Sai, and I also don't think in Painter. It's working in SKP though. This is all rather odd to me, as I've installed the current driver (and installed it) a few different times. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong.

So, to tabulate-- As of now I'm trying to
    a) get the fan to not turn on all the time, and
    b) still have the computer run relatively cool (that means undervolting to me), but
    c) mostly importantly I want pressure sensitivity in Artage, Sai, and Painter. Right now this is making this unit unusable for me. :(

5. Steve B

For those who might be following this thread still, or who might be running into similar problems in the future, I thought I'd update.

First, I was able to get pressure sensitivity in Artrage and Paint Tool Sai finally. I followed some advice, and removed the Wacom driver. I then installed the Pen driver from the Fujitsu website. So far, that seems to be working on the Fujistu. That's that very good. I can now atleast use it for art.

Second, I called up Fujitsu to ask about the fan. The answer was that only the A1F models (a early July 2008 model) have the right type of BIOS 1.1 or 1.0xx that has the fan controls. One the link to the BIOS provided earlier in this thread, if you go to it and scroll up to page 4, you'll see that the info there is for that specific BIOS and configuration. Of course, this is what they've still got posted on the Fujitsu site as well, so it's just a general f-up. All other models that aren't the P8600 or A1F models can't use that BIOS, and so don't get fan control. At least, that's what Fujitsu is saying.

So, for now, the fan stays as it is. Perhaps I can open the back of the computer up and give it a bit of a good cleaning, spurts of air, and then undervolt it to get it to run even cooler- for it runs pretty cool now (mid-high 40's C), which is why it peeves me a bit that the fan is turning on as much as it is.

We'll see. At the least, I can now atleast give it a go and see if I prefer it over my x200t. And I can perhaps send in my x200t for repairs if need be, and I'll still have a tablet pc for the duration.

Anyways, hope all of that was helpful.

6. Hattori Hanzo

Interesting information from Fujitsu. The T5010 I talked about having at work (not mine, though) is actually a P8700 or P9500, I'm sure of the P and 2.53GHz.

I really wouldn't have expected this to be model specific in this case. Sorry for luring you down the wrong road.
    But I keep my thumbs crossed that dedusting and regreasing the CPU net you a benefit.

7. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Redo the thermal paste if you didn't do so already. You can use arctic cooling mx-4 , Arctic Silver 5 or IC diamond 7. You can clean off the existing thermal paste with Arcticlean and a microfiber cloth.

8. wik

wik Pen Pal - Newbie

"New" T5010 owner here for just about a week. Have you cleaned out the little clean-out area next to the fan? No fan noise complaints here but I think it may be due to the P8600 processor that mine has. If fan noise is really bothering you, I might recommend bumping the processor down. I've also added an SSD and 8gb of ram to mine and it really flies with Win7 Ultimate. My other mod was to pick up a 2nd hard drive caddy that I was able to move the original 80gb hd into for extra storage. Looking for a cheap modular dvd-rw to get, too. Picked up a high-capacity battery off ebay that seems to show around 3-4 hours but not certain yet as I only got it yesterday.

I was really hoping for the multitouch screen but this one didn't have it. Sounds like there is a trade-off in clarity between the multitouch and regular screens, though. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

9. Steve B

Hey, today I found out how to enable multitouch gestures on my scroll pad. Holy crud!!! Does that make a difference! Sheesh.

Why is this sort of stuff not enabled automatically? It's mind blowing to me, because it's all sitting there, waiting. Now, I can flick scroll, two-finger scroll vertically and horizontally, one-finger scroll, bounce off the sides of the screen, flick the cursor and make it glide, and can activate buttons with the different areas of the scroll pad. It's mind numbing to me that this isn't there from the get go. It makes an amazing difference when navigating when one is using this as a laptop.

Re: temp- it still runs pretty cool- in the high 40's most of the time- but the fan still kicks on and off all the time. I may try and undervolt it to see if it makes a difference. Oh, and wik- unfortunately, the little grill pull out thingy is clean. :(

I do have to admit that I like the modular fit of the device. It's nice to have the DVD player/writer around, as it's my only computer. I'm far far more likely to watch a movie or video. I like the battery life too, and the 2 button pen, and the buttons on the left in secondary landscape. I even like the texture of the included screen protector. Right now I have a spring-loaded pen, but I should try it with the felt tip. It's really pretty quick too, even without the SSD. I dunno, it's a darn good computer. I wish the thing was quieter though, as well as lighter and thinner. I've pondered, a bit, a wee little bit, what the t580 would be like to use. I'd get the benefit of the modular bay, the two button pen always being available, the buttons in the right place, etc. It's a thought, for those who really want something light.

Hey, zero- how do you even get to the cpu to put the artic goop on? I'd be willing to try it if it worked.

10. Hattori Hanzo

The T5010 has a nice housing for servicing. You can remove almost the complete bottom with just some screws. Turn it round and follow the grooves, you'll see where to remove the screws.
    Once the bottom's off you should better not have to ask questions. Remove the fan, then the heatsink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.