Well, I got a t5010 to try out, and I've got a few questions... :)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Steve B, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Beware the htc flyer. At first glance, it seems like it would be a good choice, but...it won't do what you want. First it's android, not windows. Even worse is it's the phone version of android not the honeycomb tablet version. That means pen support is abysmal at best. It's not a painting device. Even so, the painting apps on andriod are worse than the iPad.

I think it's a niche spot even more so that a tablet pc, but small pressure sensitive tablets could be very nice. Samsung is supposed to be releasing a 5.3 inch pressure sensitive phone that runs android. It's called the galaxy note, but again, it isn't the tablet version of android so pen support isn't good. The whole thing seems such a mess.

I don't mind the bt keyboard extra as long as it does what I need, but trying to use the touch keyboard can't be as good as it is on my iPad. I can type pretty fast on that.

Sounds like the ram is no good. You could call the store and maybe they'll mail you a replacement?

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's interesting to hear about the HTC Flyer. From latinvixen's review, it seemed like she was rather impressed with it as a sketching device all in all, even though it was NTrig. She actually commented on how it was noticably improved from the HP 500. I'd also read some reviews about the app it has that integrates EverNote with note taking, which seemed to work very well as an alternative to One Note. It was those two things that was giving me hope. I haven't actually tried it out though.

Re: the t5010- I've been downloading all my updates, etc. So that's moving along. I still can't really seem to get the fans to turn off though. They're on pretty much all the time, even when it's in the low 40's C. Yes, it's quiet and low speed then, but still going. It's picks up pace around 50 C, though not at full blast. I suppose it'd hit high speed sometime in the 60's, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I think I'm just used to the x200t. With the SSD and TPFC, it's damn near silent. Easily the quietest laptop I've ever had. It hovers in the mid-high 40's without the fan ever really turning on. It's temp doesn't really "build" up, getting higher, unless I really do apps that are cpu intensive. With the t5010, when I used Speedfan, and I increased the "warning" temperatures to the mid-60's, it just seemed like the cpu temp increased and increased until it hit it. Then the fans were on, and the temps sort of hovered there.

Is there any way to get my t5010 to stay cooler, like the x200t? Is this where the undervolting comes in?

Also, is there any way to use the touch pad to scroll? It has those dots on the right, and I thought they were there for that, but nothing special happens when I touch that area. ??? Is there a special driver for that? There's nothing about it in the Synaptics Pointing Device when I open that. Right now, I have to grab the scrollbar with the cursor, and it just sort of seems antiquated.

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I also saw latinvixens review of it, but that was a while ago. I'd like to see an update. She was just sketching in a note app that it came with. I did try one out in person. I found the pen heavy, but it certainly worked ok. The note app wasn't picking up much pressure sensitivity (if any at all). I don't think I would pay more than $150 for such a device and only if I could install android's newer OS versions on it. This is one of those things that I'll keep waiting on. The galaxy note is a phone and maybe it will ship with a better OS when it finally releases. I'm up for a new phone next year so it could be a possibility.

I don't have much experience with the fan stuff. What application do you use to track the CPU temps?

4. Steve B

Right now I'm using CoreTemp. On the Lenovo I use the ThinkPad Fan Control application. I was just trying to use RMClock, and it seemed to be having compatibility problems with this being 64bit. It won't open. I've only run it on 32bit OS's. Does anyone know if its compatible?

Also, it seems I have some sort of specs on the inside of the glass. I don't know if this is from the included "screen protector", or if it's actually on the inside of the glass. Is there a not-insane way to clean the interior or the hard plastic screen cover?

5. Steve B

Well, I thought I'd be able to grind this out and get all the settings the way I wanted to, but I'm crashing. It's after midnight and I'm up at 6. I got 2ndary landscape to work, and after a reinstall or two I got Wacom to work in all the orientations. The fan is still an issue, and kicks on in the high 40's; it's also not very regular in its RPMs, so it's gently oscillating all the time, which gets under one's skin eventually. Hope to figure that out more with time. I do think I've got too much stuff going on in the background, as I'm generally at 5-10% cpu usage minimum, with some jumps higher. I can't quite figure it out though.

Also, I can't seem to get pressure sensitivity in Paint Tool Sai. And the flicks seem to be working in it too, so that I can't make quick strokes. I can turn off the flicks, but I still have no pressure sensitivity. What's odd is that it's only in this program that I'm having this problem. SBP works fine, for example. And Sai works perfectly fine on my Lenovo, even though they have the same Wacom driver. I double checked that the Minimum Size is set at 0 as well, so its not that. Any thoughts on this?

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Without having read most of this thread and potentially reissuing advice already given:

What does the BIOS say about fan management? The T5010 should have the options normal and silent, with the latter just allowing much higher temperatures. If you want it silent, choose silent. I have a T5010 at work with a Penryn Core 2 from the P series with 25W TDP. You need to tickle it quite a bit to provoke fan noise. For normal work it's just silent.
    If your unit is a bit older or often used, cleaning the cooler or applying new thermal grease can make a world of difference, too. If the heatsink is clogged with dust it's no wonder the fan spins like crazy ;)

If you have 5-10% CPU usage in idle with just the task manager open, performance monitor is a different story, this is too much. You should try to identify what's eating your processing time and see if you need it or can find a better replacement.
    Check out Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, which is way more helpful in this case than the standard windows tools.

7. Steve B

Sweet. Thanks Hatori, I'll check it out. All the other tabletpcs I've had have not really offered any real control of the fan in the BIOS, so I didn't think there was really an option there. I'll also check out the program you suggested re: thehigh cpu idle I've got, and report back.

8. Steve B

I can't seem to find where I'm supposed to change the fan setting in the BIOS. I looked and looked, but I don't see it anywhere. Where are you finding yours? I've tried download an update, but I seem to have the current version. I hit Esc, then hit f12. It leads me into the Bio Settings. There I don't see anything about the fan in any of the subheadings.

9. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Steve B

The interesting problem is that that option is not available in my BIOS settings. I've attached a pic to show what I'm seeing in the Miscellaneous submenu. I've been wondering if I have an older BIOS, but I haven't been able to find anything newer. Those things I do find seem to say that either a) it's what I've already got installed, or b) it's not compatible with my model. I've tried to navigate Fujitsu's website, but it's a maze. Motion's website is a breeze to find drivers or updates comparatively.

I have the A1M configuration and Bios 3.05, which seems to be the newest, as far as I can tell.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.