Well, I got a t5010 to try out, and I've got a few questions... :)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Steve B, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

lol, it says its 'apple ram'... but I don't think that's the issue... probably

the latency looks to be 7-7-7-20 so it is cas7 so it is good quality ram in those terms

If you could, try the 8GB kit in your X200t (I know not all X200t's can use 8GB, but it is likely yours could... and it would help eliminate the ram as the problem)

I think pressing/ spamming the Del key, esc key, or F2/ F8/ F12 are the typical bios buttons

2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

My Fujitsu is F2 to get into the bios. Did you boot up the machine with the RAM it came with to make sure it was working?

Where did you get the new ram from?

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

It definitely runs with the ram I got in it. I got the new ram from Fry's Electronics, which, if you're from the SF Bay Area, you'll know is a perfectly reputable normal electronics store. I did go to Fujitsu and try to update my BIOS, but it seems I'm on the right one-- 1.1 or some such thing. The updater told me I was already using it.

So, right now, the current big 3 questions/concerns are-
    1) How to modulate the fan better. I've tried Speedfan in the past, and that thing is ....difficult to understand. Perhaps I'll try again.
    2) Get this 8GB ram in and working.
    3) Figure out how to scroll with the touchpad.

BTW, the screen runs quite blue. Just FYI for those who know. My x200t runs a bit red, as I remember, so the difference is quite striking.

4. cmenice

So are you going to try and put the ram in the x200 to make sure the ram isn't the issue?

I'm curious, why get this if you already have the x200?

I haven't noticed anything weird with my fan so I haven't tried to tweak it.

5. Steve B

Well, the problem is that the x200 is only 32 bit. ....Though I suppose I could try each 4gb stick at a time in it.

As for why I wanted to try it out. Well, I was curious about getting a bigger screen, as this is my only mode of making digital art. I don't have a Wacom pad or a bigger screen or desktop. I was also interested in trying out a full voltage cpu, to see if it made any real difference in the applications I was using. It's got onscreen buttons on the upper left rather than the upper right, which is very handy when in 2ndary landscape mode (the way I normally paint)-- my x200 has them on the right, and that makes them more difficult to use. It also comes with a 2 button pen, and although it might seem silly, and although I've bought and own an Axiotron pen, I always forget it, and so I thought having a 2-button pen in the silo would help me be able to use that function more.

So, hypothetically, there are some benefits. The real question will be whether it's flexible enough to meet my other needs, as I also use my x200 in the field for landscape work. The t5010 seems rather big and heavy for this, frankly, now that I've got it here. I'll have to wait and see. As a purely art tool, mostly/only used on tables and desktops, I could see how the t5010 would be wonderful. It's the portability factor I'm concerned about.

6. cmenice

I currently have win 7 32 bit on my t901 and it still recognizes that there is 8gb of ram installed.

I agree that I could see it being difficult to use this in the field. It's big and heavy for sure. I've been considering jumping to the new Samsung slate just for this reason. I want to use real applications (unlike the iPad), but I want portability. I already have a desktop, so a slate seems to fit my need better. Of course it's easy to get caught up in this tech wave.

7. Steve B

Eh, life is full of sillinssses. If you've got the dough ride the tech wave, I say! :). Why shouldnt grown ups play too?

As for slates- yes, I've been pondering it too a bit. Whether there's value in getting a cheap desktop with something like a juicy, big, pressure sensitive Yiynova screen and then getting a less powerful slate for field work. I like having a keyboard though, which is my big deterrent. Not all the time, but multiple times daily I make posts like this, etc. A keyboard is very nice, and then I'm not tethered to a desktop...... I dunno yet.

8. cmenice

The only way I could jump is if I sold my t901. As for keyboard, there is a dock and bt keyboard accessory that could be used when needed. I originally got the t901 as my main computer, but in the end I built a desktop too. The iPad is ok for sketching, but I would prefer to use real applications. That way I actually learn something that translates to my desktop. I think some will use the slate as a main computer, but for me it's purpose would be to follow me around the house to sketch at will. Something I'm finding difficult with the t901.

9. Steve B

Oh, I agree, I think I'd only get a slate if I sold my x200t and had a desktop. Yes, the bluetooth keyboards are nice, but for 1000$ what we really need is something like the Asus Transformer, but with the ep121 attached to it, IMO. I don't want to go searching for a keyboard, then setting it up somewhere on a table, etc. if I just need a laptop. That's a compromise I shouldn't have to make. What I'd really like is something inbetween the Ipad and the HTC Flyer in size and cost, but with a pen and a keyboard. Something like a netbook, with a removable keyboard, and the ability to use a finger as well as a pressure sensitive pen. Ha!

If it really is just going to be my planner/pdf annotator/ebook reader/sketchpad/browser then I don't need it to be as powerful, big, or as expensive as the new Samsung slate, nor the ep121. I like the HTC flyer, and in particular I like it's new 300$ price tag, but 7" is tiny. I really like the idea of the Motion ls800, but I want a touch screen for business purposes-- I share the slate with clients to go over pictures and plant info, and I've found they all expect it to be a touchscreen. Introduce a pen, and they're all quite intimidated. And the truth is that for accessing info (about 75% of what I do in the field) touch input is much more efficient. Of course the pen is absolutely essential for the other 25%, and therein lies the rub of it.

I'm just hoping something else will come along as the market grows and prices drop. Or perhaps I'll figure out how to get the best out of one of these tablet pcs. :)

10. Steve B

Okaaaayyy,
    So, popped both modules of ram in my x200t and a it's a no go. Get the 1-3-3-1 beeping. Tried taking one out and leaving the other in, etc. Still a no go. So perhaps it's the memory that's bad, and I just need to exchange it? That's obnoxious if true, as that store's about 25 minutes away, but atleast it would be fixable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.