Well, I got a t5010 to try out, and I've got a few questions... :)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Steve B, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

OK, I bought the bullet and got one. :) It'll be arriving in a few days. t9400 2.53 ghz. Win7 Ultimate 64 bit. I picked up 8gb ram at Fry's. Full Office 2007 (so I get to try out One Note for the first time!). Still under warranty till February too. Indoor screen, I think (he didn't mention otherwise). Got it for 600$ on ebay, plus the ram and extra modular battery, so about 675$ total. Seemed like a reasonable price to me. ??

Battery Life??
    It comes with the RW DVD. I bought a used OEM modular battery separately. As the seller didn't list the main battery as high capacity, I'm assuming it isn't one. He did say it held a good charge though. What kind of battery life should I expect for the main battery- say, doing normal light stuff like surfing and word docs? And at high usage rates, like doing art programs or watching a movie? What kind of real world improvements in battery life are people getting from the high capacity batteries? Do they weigh more? What about if I put the modular battery in?

Weight?
    I commonly see the weight listed as 4.8 lbs, but it's all a bit confusing with the modular bay. I'm assuming this "base weight" is with the DVD writer, as it normally comes pre-installed? Or is that with the weight saver, and therefore the lightest it gets? What's it like with the extra battery in instead? About the same, since the DVD writer is out, or a bit heavier and over 5 lbs?

Weight Saver??
    Re: the weight saver, I've had a hard time locating one on ebay. I'm looking up things like "Fujitsu t5010 weight saver". There aren't any listed on Amazon either. Does anyone have any other ideas? What's the difference in weight with it? Does it make the computer feel lop sided when that bay is essentially empty?

Heat and Noise??
    Right now I'm using a very quiet and cool x200t with a SSD and ThinkPad Fan Control. This allows me to be very quiet when doing low-key stuff, because the fan is essentially turned off and the SSD has no moving parts. The cpu runs in the mid-40's normally, up to the high 60's or so when doing heavier stuff. Of course, part of the reason I'm trying out the t5010 is that it's more powerful, so I guess I should expect more heat and noise? Are there any good programs to allow a kind of user engagement with the fan, so I can turn it up full throttle if I want, but keep it very very quiet (or silent!) when, say, doing a client meeting? Can I use ThinkPad Fan Control on a Fujitsu? It's a great program, but I think it works with the Lenovo BIOS, so I think that means a "no."

My apologies for all the question marks. !!! LOL. Guess I got a few.

2. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

My daughter has a T5010. As delivered, it ran extremely hot, but it is possible to under-voltage it, in her case by quite a bit, getting the temps down by more than 20C, including the HDD temp as it seems to be heated some by the processor. With cooler temps, the fan is actually pretty quiet even though the computer is running at max performance at all times. I'd suggest searching this site for "under voltage" and you should find references to pretty complete instructions on how to do it. I used the RightMark CPU clock utility, but one also needs a program to stress the processor while testing. I like Intel BurnTest (not an Intel product, but uses an Intel extreme loading protocol), but I think that many use Orthos. To monitor what's happening, CPUID Hardware Monitor give a pretty complete picture. These are all freeware so Google away to find them.

If you don't want to under voltage (it is a time-consuming task), you can still use the power control of Win7 to throttle things for more quiet or let them run full bore for more performance and less quiet. In the advanced panes you can customize details as you wish - e.g., if there's one feature you use a lot and want to run full speed while others are in power saving, you can set it that way.
    Ciao,
    Lenny

3. Steve B

I should try undervolting again. I did it on my x200t and some of slates, but I never noticed a significant reduction in temp though. At most a few C perhaps. But if the t5010 truly is very hot, and it can drop 20 degrees with undervolting, then I'll give it a go again. Time consuming, but a cool quiet machine is a wonderful thing. Anyone else have issues like this? I hadnt read about it before.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sweet! I have been looking at getting one of these; or using a lot of the parts I have and buying a new motherboard, processor, ram [and GTX 460 from my eGPU] and making my desktop uber powered (and trying to get a Tablet PC's screen working as a USB & VGA secondary screen/ digitizer)... decisions, decisions, decisions...

This should probably be tossed out there: almost any computer you buy will probably have a OEM install/ restore and it will likely be very sluggish and hot running from it; doing a clean install of Windows and tweaking a few things will greatly improve efficiency and heat output to about what you have your X200t at (but it does take a bit of time to get everything in place, so don't be surprised when you first get it and it feels slow/ hot... especcially with you being used to a SSD system)

5. Steve B

Well, this comes with Win7 Ultimate, so my take is that it's not the original OS install, but rather is a clean one. Hopefully, that's the case, as that should help it run better, I agree.

I did find out weight specks, I believe. Just to share. With the weight saver the t5010 is around 4.3 lbs I believe-- really quite light, considering the size. That's what my x200t weighs with the extended battery on it. It's 4.8 or so with the DVD player. And 5.2 with the with modular battery.

Honestly, I could see getting the high capacity main battery and the space saver. If I could have the bigger screen and more cpu, but have a similar weight to the x200t, that would be dreamy. I get very good battery life on my current tablet pc-- 6-7 hours with the extended battery-- but I rarely need the full amount. I just need more than the bare minimum 3 hours I get on the 6 cell battery. If I could really get 4-5 on the high capacity main battery, that would be very adequate for most situations.

Does anyone know if the high capacity main battery actually weighs more than the normal one? And if so, what the "new" total weight is with the high capacity battery but no modular battery?

Also, I still can't seem to actually find the space/weight saver anywhere. Where are people getting these? Do they just have a special name that I'm not using in my searches?

6. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a box full of them. Will send you one for the cost of shipping.

7. Steve B

Lol. How'd you get a box of them? It's like collecting Cracker Jacks prizes. :D

I'll pm you with some info. Dude, this community rocks.

8. Steve B

Ok, well, the t5010 arrived today. I tried to install 8 gb of ram, but it's not working. It's ddr3 1066 Mhz, 2 x 4gb, Corsair. My research says this should work. If I do it and turn on the computer, it "turns on" (as in the power light turns blue) but the screen stays black. A little light at the right bottom of the screen that looks like a suitcase or lock with two arrows on it (one pointing up and one pointing down) starts to blink. And that's what it does until I turn the computer off manually. Any ideas?

BTW, it seems to run quite quiet, which is nice, but the palm rest is definitely warm under the left hand, which I had read. The screen really is very beautiful. However, in my small estimation, it's clearly not as viewable outdoors as the x200t's Superbright Outdoor screen. I'll report more later, but for now, I'd just like to get the RAM to work. Any ideas? Oh, and how do I get the touchpad to scroll? I thought the little line of dots on the right of the pad were for that? I'm installing updates, so perhaps some of them are missing for that.....

9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmmm, first check the Bios version and if needed update it (when booting up enter the bios and it should be there somewhere):
    so lets say the first stick of DDR3 is called "4GB 1", and the second is "4GB 2"

try these configurations:
    Slot 1: 4GB 1
    Slot 2: empty

Slot 1: 4GB 2
    Slot 2: empty

Slot 1: empty
    Slot 2: 4GB 1

Slot 1: empty
    Slot 2: 4GB 2

Slot 1: 4GB 1
    Slot 2: 4GB 2

Slot 1: 4GB 2
    Slot 2: 4GB 1

This will help us diagnose bad ram, a bad slot, or if those seem fine

if that seems to work, then:
    Slot 1: 4GB 1 or 2
    Slot 2: some ram it came with, or some ram from your X200t

Slot 1: some ram it came with, or some ram from your X200t
    Slot 2: 4GB 1 or 2

EDIT: oh yea, what is the latency of the ram (otherwise nown as timings or 'cas' rating, generally a tighter timing [eg: lower numbers like cas7] are better than looser timings [eg: higher numbers like cas9], but I thonk there can be issues with tighter timings at times... or maybe it was with looser timings, I don't remember

10. Steve B

How do I find out the timing? I read that in a thread here that I googled. Said it should be 7 or less.
    On the Ram it reads- CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7

Right now it's got a 1gb ram and a 2 gb ram module in it. I tried it with a 2 gb and 4 gb module in it, and it was the same as 2 x 4gb ram- a no go. I'll try some of the other configurations. Right now, I'm downloading updates, so we'll see if that helps any. How do you access BIOS on a fujitsu?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.