Weird flex in left palm rest

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Mistah_C, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistah_C

Mistah_C The Reviewer

Hey guys. Just got my Fujitsu and i notice this weird and annoying flex in the left hand palm rest. Do you guys have the same experience? Is it just because its a bit flimsy plastic?
    Id love your responses- this flex is kind of worrying me lol! :)

Cheers

2. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, I have more or less the same issue with my machine and I'd say it is probably due to the flimsy plastic (or whatever) as you say. I also had major creaking on the right side due to the support on that side flexing - extremely annoying. I solved this issue by placing a thin strip of sticky tape between the battery cover panel and the laptop chassis.

The tablet also wasn't even level. As in the supports weren't aligned properly. What I did then is lifted the tablet and physically grabbed either side and bent it into shape. Seemed to solve the problem. Occasionally it starts rocking again, but I just give it a good bending and it's right again.

Needless to say I think the build quality of this tablet (T4215) is somewhat lacking. The chassis just feels cheap. Then again, it is my first tablet so I didn't know what to expect.

3. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Well the left palm rest is directly above the two media card slots which is probably why both of you feel flex. I have mine filled with something so it feels just as sturdy as the right palm rest.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I often and I should really say very often hold my T series in the one hand whilst in Notebook mode, with my thumb on top of the Palm rest and hand underneath the machine.
    Holding the Tablet in this manner puts an extreme amount of pressure on the Palm rest and I can honestly say in all sincerity that none of my machines inhibit the slightest amount of give/creak/flex or whatever.

Anyone holding it would not be laughed at for believing it to be made from metal.

No matter how hard I press on the Palm rest I simply can not find any give.....

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can see where they're coming from, I just tried pressing the palm rests and yes, they do have some give, but...

It takes quite alot of pressure before they do! Less pressure on the left palmrest than the right because of the empty PC slot, but I can safely say I will never be applying so much pressure to the palmrests under normal usage. In fact, I never even noticed it until it was mentioned here. Could it perhaps be a material defect?

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I must get hold of a Fujitsu model again and test it against a Fujitsu Siemens model.

Surely this is not yet another case of differences!

7. Mistah_C

Mistah_C The Reviewer

I think I know why this happens. First of all, it usually happens under heat (when the machine is running and producing quite the amount of heat). Right now I just went to my machine (was turned off over night and thus cool) and that flex no longer is present. My second theory is that the flex occurred because the PC card slot is located right under the palm rest.
    Thanks for your responses. I think its just the way its built- no defects whatsoever.
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.