Weight Issues?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by nheel, Dec 11, 2010.

1. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everyone,

I've been looking heavily at the Slate 500, but the wait and lack of customer support from HP is really turning me off from it. I need a device that can be used in the field to write notes while walking, as well as mark up PDFs, powerpoints, etc from a desk.

I'm wondering if anyone can give a first hand experience to if this is the tablet for me, and if you see any concerns with it. Also, I heard that there is a bump on the back of this, does it prevent the device from resting comfortably on a desk? Thanks.

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. nheel

Would you be able to hold the device in one hand and write with the other? And not for just a quick note, but for maybe a 10-20 minute period?

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. nheel

That actually looks like a great Tablet. Just read that it wont be available until Q2 2011 though, sigh, can't believe no one makes a great lightweight tablet that is readily available...

6. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

Check out Motion Computing...they've been making slates longer than just about anyone. Their machines are designed expressly for your scenario. And I believe they still make a snap-on lid to cover the display that includes a keyboard in it...really clever design.

7. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

Also, there's a company called Sahara that's been making slates and UMPCs for quite some time.

8. rmeigs

rmeigs Pen Pal - Newbie

nheel: I have a Tega v2 that I use much as you describe. Weight is only 1.9 pounds, has a better Intel ADOM processor (N455) and RAM (DDR3), and costs the same as the HP Slate 500. But doesn't have a digitizer.

9. nheel

Do you use a capacitive stylus with that then? I've heard some poor reviews about the inking experience with them.

Thanks to the other suggestions as well about motion and sahara, hopefully I can find one on the cheap and then we may be in business.