WEI score on a TX2500 after a disk upgrade

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by TabbedOut, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

When I got my TX, I installed my own Vista (32 bit) and upgraded to 3gb of memory (from 2). My WEI score was 4.0. Detail was

Processor 4.8
    Memory 5.6
    Graphics 4.0
    Gaming 4.?[I can't remember]
    Disk 5.0.

Yesterday, I went out an got a 320gb disk (actually 298 after formatting) which runs at SATA II (3gb/sec) and 7200 rpm. Rebuilt the whole system from scratch, installed the latest AT drivers and I now have a WEI score of 3.4 as follows:

Processor 4.8
    Memory 5.7
    Graphics 3.4
    Gaming 3.7
    Disk 5.7

So, I am happy with the disk improvement - it does make the system feel more responsive. I am disappointed with the graphics and I have no idea why I got such a large drop.

If anyone has any clues, I'd be happy to hear them

Alan

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

its because you lost the dual channel use of your ram and the GPU shares it's memory with system Ram... you now have 1 1GB stick, and 1 2GB stick, and for dual channel you need matching sticks... In reality, it's debatable how much it really matters, but that's why you got your drop... You gained more usable ram, so that's why the memory went up, but it's now theoretically a bit slower, hence why the graphics part that uses it for textures, etc, dropped.

3GB in Vista will be a nice improvement over 2GB, so I wouldn't worry about it. But, on mine, I went to 4GB with 2 2GB sticks, and my WEI is:

3. be77solo

edit: so you're running 4GB and not 3GB? I just saw your signature... if that's the case I'm not sure why it dropped, what version of the ATI drivers are you using?

4. alan sh

Sorry:

a) my signature is wrong - it's 3gb now. It wil be 4gb as soon as my extra stick arrives.
    b) it was 3gb before I re-installed everything - so that should not be the difference.

Alan

5. alan sh

OK. I got my 2Gb stick and put it in. My WEI score is now
    Processor 4.8
    Memory 5.9 (I think it might be higher but WEI only reports up to 5.9)
    Graphics 4.2
    Gaming 4.0
    Disk 5.7

I think that is as good as it gets - and I'm happy with it now.

Alan

6. lexcavaj

lexcavaj Pen Pal - Newbie

hi, may i know exactly what brand and model no. is that 2gb stick you bought? did you change only 1 or both sticks? im planning to upgrade my tx2510's memory as a xmas gift to me. hehe. thanks in advance!

7. be77solo

Good, I couldn't think of anything else it could be, but figured it had something to do with the ram... glad it's working for ya!

As for the Ram, I upgraded mine with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

But, what you need is 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) laptop memory.

The TX2500 has 2 slots, so if you've got 3GB you have 1 1GB and 1 2GB stick now.

8. alan sh

9. Mr.Systematic

Mr.Systematic Pen Pal - Newbie

The limit to 2818 MB RAM may be because you have the 32 bit Vista version. As far as I know a 32 bit OS can only use around 3GB RAM even if more is installed.

10. alan sh

Yep - I know his but my desktop machine also has 4gb ram and is running Vtsa 32 bit. That shows 3312mb (or simething similar) total memory.

My works laptop (an HP 6410) with 3gb total is showing 3070mb free. So for the tx2500 to only show 2818 seems odd.

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.