Weeks after purchase, will not replace this slate for a long while!

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JackBFlippinNimble, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

I have 2 auto auctions, and offices at both locations (as far across the county as they can be). I also do a lot of work at home (near midpoint between the 2 locations). Part of my interest in this was having to do inventory at both locations, and not wanting to have to printout on paper the inventory lists to conduct my inventory. I also do photo editing for the website. Spreadsheets for reports. And the usual email, internet marketing and so forth. Until I bought this, I used my very powerful Asus G73jh, with a ssd and hhd and i7, but while blazing fast for the tasks I used it for, laptops are not mobile enough for my in field needs. Once I bought this (I bought a 2/32 display a model, saved a bunch, and put that money into ram and an Intel 310 ssd) I started using it instead of the big laptop. Wow. Weeks after I started using this, I can't stop. My big Asus is at home, on a desk. I do all my photo editing, spreadsheets, field inventory, everything I used to do on my other, plus I take this outside and conduct inventory on screen and in real time. No more paper inventory, then manually editing in the office. If I find a problem, I jot it on this ep, in meetings I take notes on this, for photo editing I whip out the KB and use my mouse. I know TL;DR, but man, I am amazed at how well this has worked out for me. It is fast. Cool. SSD performs like the regular Sata ssd's in my other laptops. All I can say to anyone that is interested and doesn't have one... go try one out for size. This could be what you have been looking for for a while... like me.

2. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

I agree, this baby goes everywhere with me!

3. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

David, this may be the best $900 ( plus upgrades) I have ever spent. And thanks, good to see someone that realizes how much this can do. I am glad you like yours as much as I do mine. What a find for us.

4. krfighter

krfighter Scribbler - Standard Member

I absolutely agree. I work in engineering/scientific research and this toy enabled me to do much more with much more comfort.
    I had macbook pro and I must say I was expecting Apple to be responsible for such a great toy. iPad is absolutely useless compared to this.
    I have Asus with me all the time in the meeting. And even when I am at my desk and I do analysis on my workstation, I still use tablet a lot for scribbling/sketching/reading/reviewing. Opportunity to use CAD and all other engineering software on-the-fly and do note-taking on the same device is absolutely invaluable. And for the first time I am 100% paperless. Before it I would use quite a lot of engineering pads through the day.
    Best portable computer so far!

5. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

i'm a medical student and this device is the best pc i've ever had!

6. BikeAR

BikeAR Pen Pal - Newbie

Count this civil/environmental engineer in. Very pleased.

I gathered up a powered USB hub, 28" LCD, keyboard, mouse, cables to adapt mini-HDMI to DVI, USB ethernet adapter, USB DVD drive and now have a "docking station" at home. Two cables is all I need to connect! My multi-core desktop PC is now going out to the workshop.

At the office, I leave the BT keyboard and a BT mouse on the desk and use the EP121 as a second workstation via wireless. Documents are marked-up using Newforma or PDF Annotator and sent directly to our WP staff.

In meetings and training classes, ALL notes are taken on the EP121 via Evernote and OneNote. Maps and drawings are viewable for everyone.

In the field, I am able to access reference guides, maps and drawings and take notes.

On the couch, I read magazines from Zinio, surf the web and change the channel from the online Xfinity guide or watch Netflix on-demand.

Touch and pen work great (seperately). I turn off touch whenever I want to use the pen.

AWESOME!!! ...Now just need a couple more power adapters. Absolutely no problems with the battery life yet, just have to plan ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.