Web Browsing - couldnt we do better?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by marketgarden, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marketgarden

marketgarden Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using a friends ipad2 recently and have found the web browsing and ebook reading a real joy compared to what I've become used to with windows.

Is the extra smooth scrolling, pinching etc purely down the the system focusing all of its resources on one program at a time? (note- i refuse to use the word app like an idiot) As far as I'm aware it is but I'm no expert.

If it is, then why dont we have a web browser (or any low impact software) on windows that can achieve the same thing? Something that takes over the system, for one program at a time, that can be opened up via the desktop when we dont want to use programs like photoshop or other cpu/ram melting software we have, infact anything that doesnt require a full windows 7 interface.

In my head it should be easy but like I say I'm no pro...

I wonder if dual booting with Android would be a solution, bypass windows 7 alltogether.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tweaking removes a whole load of overhead from a system which will reduce cpu time to a constant 0%. If a machine is running many processes in the background then it will seem sluggish.

Opera mobile is probably what what you're looking for and things will change when Windows 8 hits.

As far as the iPad doing what it does while looking extra smooth... My HD7 mobile phone is so very smooth that it hurts but it's designed to be as simple as possible. Apart from Zoom in/out on Windows 7 scrolling and reading ebooks is also very, very good. Applications will appear from nowhere once Windows 8 hits

How To : Enable Smooth Scrolling Across Browsers in Windows >> Pallab dot Net

3. marketgarden

Yep, I'm expecting Windows 8 to solve all sorts of issues.

I've already started tweeking Windows 7 as much as I can, theres a million guides online telling us to do the same thing, so theres got to be something there thats easier than loading up Android aswell.

Infact thered be no point, once youve got Android on there you have to tweek it anyway.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Install the Opera Mobile Browser for x86 and you will get a Consumption Tablet Experience...complete with some pages not loading correctly :) But you will get smooth scrolling, pinch, zoom, etc...

The Key for that experience is to code the application in the same way FPS Games are coded, full screen with DirectX 9+ support. Intel had demo of a UI coded like a Game and achieves the 60 Frames per Second needed for smooth scrolling, etc..

5. marketgarden

Why cant they all be coded like that, Windows 8, maybe?

I like Opera so far, even its rubbish keyboard is quickly growing on me.

6. Hashaholic

Hashaholic Borderline Yadoo

I've found IE9 to have excellent touch right out of the box. Setup some gestures and it is quite a pleasant experience using your finger to surf the net. Don't knock it til you try it...:)

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It requires an entire generation of Coders to relearn their assumptions on what a Winform Application is....HTML 5 could be but again it all depends whats rendering the code...

8. marketgarden

I've been using IE9 for 6 months, agree its good considering how much more it does than other browsers but it isnt perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.