We need to be on TPCR more than ever now!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...If I'm reading the announcement correctly, the Lidar looks interesting...>>

LIDAR or time-of-flight camera? I suspect it's more like the latter...

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Help! It is only 5th day of isolation and I'm already feeling bored. I'm missing my year-long lost personal office :(

Attached Files:

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, I'm wondering how I'm going to handle this for the coming month(s). I do hope I'll just be bored, rather than bored and very sick.. Meanwhile, I'm halfway done reading the entire internet. :D

djas and Steve S like this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I admit, the ipad pro upgrade itself underwhelms me. What I really saw were- AR camera and 5-mic setup. I'm unconvinced many apps will really be able to use the AR camera any time soon, in any functional way. And I don't have a personal need for the 5 mic "pro" array. What's the mic situation like on the current ipad pro gen3? Were there any other things that were part of the update that were important?

As such, I would just as well pick up a used gen3 once prices drop, and team it up with the new keyboard and the pencil2.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

One week of work-from-home down...

It's given me an excuse to do a lot of tech decluttering in the home office. As I optimize my home office, I've found some joy in repurposing some tech I've hoarded over the years.

Some highlights:
    I now use my Dell Canvas more than ever... drawing more with newfound freetime... but also found it as a very natural way to edit work documents side by side in a tabletop-like manner. I'm in the process of trying to customize that dial-thingy.
    I also dusted off some audio components: ipod mini (setup with foobar), tube amp, higher-end free standing home theater speakers... and hooked them all up together to have some audio bliss while working.
    Also organized all my EMR pens in a single box, and discovered that I have collected over 50 over the years (yeah, I'm not obsessed or anything...)

Has anyone done the same with tech decluttering/repurposing during this time?

nnthemperor, Marty, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@nyb72 - bravo for you! I'm hoping to do the same later this week once we finalize how we are going to handle routine but essential services while working from home (server backups; handling of the paper mail and faxes that still flood a law office, etc.) You can't just do everything remotely and setting up and getting approval for a skeleton crew of some sort to handle the things that are just not "electron" dependent.

8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

@dstrauss - I kind of like reminders that despite technology, you just can't replace people

I spent most of my night yesterday reviving my J3500 so the kids can mark up and write in PDF school workbooks instead of printing out tons of paper. The J3500 was so behind on updates, it took a long time. Also, the rubber is starting to degrade and turning into that tar that everyone hates on old gamepads and remote controls. But the kids can abuse it and it continues my mission of repurposing stuff during this time.

Also, I'm kind of shocked how we have so few viable options for windows ink capable pdf annotation apps. I downloaded so many of them last night. At least half of them wouldn't recognize the pen as an inking device, but a mouse, even though the app claims it can annotate. Others were just terrible inking experiences, or had horrible document panning/UI controls. One even inked and panned at the same time with the pen! What I'd give/pay for a lightweight app that had fingertip panning and pressure sensitive inking for PDFs!

I finally settled on Drawboard. At least the kids can intuitively navigate the PDF and it appears to have some sort of pressure sensitivity for penmanship.

Next was choosing the best pen. After using an S-pen for years now, I could no longer tolerate the wacom offset even though I like the Motion fountain style pen. I found that an older style Samsung stylus, I think it was for an Android tablet, had minimal offset and felt great from a pressure and drag perspective.

Lilawyn, djas and dstrauss like this.