We need different names for those "ipad class" devices

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Fishface, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

Well either that, or we need different names for "what we used to call Tablet PCs" that use EMR pens. Can't just call them all tablets or slates.

I'm reading news articles here and there are this new "tablet" and that new "slate", and it's bloody difficult trying to figure out if those damn things have a pen (usually not - but reporters seem to think that the wacom pen is some kind of cute little extra like a webcam or fingerprint reader). A device with pen support should be in a completely different class from a thingy with just a touchscreen (which is present on everything from cellphones to desktops to GPS these days, it shouldn't be a distinguishing factor), it's like a car that flies, we don't call it a car, we call it a bloody aeroplane. Or, if you got a plane, but it don't fly? Then it's not a freaking plane! #$@!

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

pad (without pen) and slate (with pen)

or tablet (with pen)

3. kirin

kirin Pen Pal - Newbie

Fish, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Unfortunately apple is the company that shed the limelight on tablet-like devices so everyone listens to their marketing. =/

kirin

4. kritzler

kritzler Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that really sucks. And you can read everwhere that with the iPad a new class of computers - the tablet pc - has been launched. No word about the "real tablet PC´s" with windows on it and that they are already exist since years. My first thougt about the iPad was, that it is an oversized PDA and no tablet PC.

5. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

This is similar to the distinction that was made between smart phones that did not have touch screens and pocket PC phones that did. They now refer to all of them as smart phones and they all have touch screens mostly, I suppose the market wil eventually begin distinguishing between the various devices but we can get the ball rolling by distinguishing between all of the touchscreen devices and the real tablets that use an em pen.
    Pen tablets and touch pads maybe?

6. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We could just call the ipad what we've been calling ARM based devices for the past 10 years: a PDA.

7. thierryb

but all my pdas had pen

8. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

9. thierryb

Thanks for the link. Interesting analysis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.