We Need an 8" Surface!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Smaller screens mean smaller profits...lol.
    So watch your pocket size.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I own an iPad mini 4, along with a previous Dell Venue 5855... I can happily never use an 8" windows machine again. Ever. The screen is simply far too small for many functions. Just an opinion.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bless you Dale! You've got my vote on that.
    Just don't change a thing on that spec.

Sent from mTalk

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dude my HP8EN begs to disagree.

Sent from mTalk

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm on the other side of this fence. I have a DV8P 5830 now (my second one actually) that I use primarily as a E-reader, but which gives me a lot more functionality than a Kindle would. I carried it and a BT keyboard with me all around Europe last year, and together they were lighter than my SP2 w/ case and would be less of a $$ loss if stolen. Having Win8.1 on my tablet meant that it worked with my phone, Outlook, camera software, and PS.. Granted this was a vacation, and I'd want something bigger for a business trip, but I definitely see a place for 8" Windows tablets. I was hoping the new DV8P 5855 would be a winner, but the one I bought was afflicted with no reliable connectivity and recurrent BSOD so I returned it.

So for those of you that do a lot of reading on a tablet, what size do you prefer? (For me, 8" is the reading sweet spot.) And what other functions do you want from that tablet?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have to admit that I have gotten spoiled by my Surface 3 and its 10.8" display. I loved the portability of my Asus Note 8 and found the display adequate for reading. However, since I've had S3, I find that I prefer the larger display for reading cases (which I do using the Surface Pen as a highlighter) and for annotating documents. The extra room makes up for the increase in size and weight IMO. Plus, with a GN5 as my phone, it picks up a lot of the tasks I used the Note 8 for, such as quick note taking, browsing and emails.

Of course, now that I've found my sweet spot of device use, the Surface 3 is discontinued and the Note 5 replacement is an Improvised Explosive Device. Go figure.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And I thought it was only my fate...
    [​IMG]

nnthemperor, ships10 and Bronsky like this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I picked up a S3 from amazon to compliment my M3.

Fanless computing is the only way for me now when out on the road. I dont need the raw horse power when annotating PDFs and emailing.

ships10 likes this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes! For PDFs and annotating, the size of the Surface 3 is just ticket. I use the 8' Tab A stricly as a notetaker and as a general repository to OneDrive. For more than that, it's to the S3 I go to.

I, however, can't live without Grafitti HWR on the Tab A. I can write long texts with that if I need to. Also, Samsung's SPen functionalities is top-notch.

In that respect, I generally prefer inking on the Tab A than on the S3. However, both complement each other. Kudos to Microsoft for supporting all platforms. If you are an Ofiice 365 subsriber (work/personal), you'd find that you can utilize any OS out there. Now. isn't that cool?

Bronsky likes this.
  10. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use my Asus vivotab note 8 for reading, but I find it to be a little small. I prefer to read ebooks in PDF format but most book PDF files are about 6x9 inches. Even if I trim the margins with PDF cropping tools, the text is a little bit small. If I had a 9-9.5 inch device that was still very light, the cropped PDF files would look and feel just like the hard copy. I think the Kindle fire hdx 8.9 gets the dimensions and weight just right, but it runs a crippled version of android and has no inking functionality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.