We Need an 8" Surface!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I carry a Moleskin reporters notebook in my shirt pocket every day at work. Find it to be one of the best productivity tools. Would love to have it electronically but havn't found anything to replace it. For a long time I was using my BB but I find the virtual keyboards are slower and less accurate than the physical keyboard of the BB. Hardwriting on a small device doesn't seem to work as well.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have no problem whatsoever writing for hand on my Note 3. What is it that people find do difficult with writing on a phone?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I could not agree with you more. The kind of Note taking you would do on a Moleskin is exactly what I do on my Note 5 every day. I am surprised when I hear of people owning these devices and not using them constantly. As I get more functional with Samsung's added features, I do even more with the phone, like screen capture and annotation. I, personally, don't see the need for an 8" tablet in my use/scenario. A light and capable Core M 10" tablet is a better fit to do those tablet functions that can't be done on a small pocket note taker.

thierryb likes this.
  4. mgerbasio

If you ever had the displeasure of trying to decipher my tiny chicken scratch, you'd know there are several disappointed nuns looking down on me with shame.

I tried the Samsung Note when it first came out, it didn't cut it for me. I then was using the ASUS VTN8 and that worked great for my needs, kept it in my back pocket. It crashed a couple of times and I'm far too lazy to reload Windows on it yet again. Its just such a PITA to have to grab a powered hub, keyboard, mouse, memory card to load it. Some day when I have nothing else to do.

Back to the Note, I gave up on Android except for Nexus devices. Just tired of custom UIs, bloat, no updates. Yea, most can be solved by rooting but I just want to pick up a phone and use it, not get a BS in computer science to deal with the details of trying to use some hardware. Really hoping for a Surface Phone/Mini or Nexus with a pen. How about an eink reader like the Kindle with a pen and note app, that would be pretty cool and work for 99% of what I need.

I could get by with 2gB of RAM and if HPs 8" wasn't limited to Verizon, I'd probably have bought it. But, don't want to pay for LTE built-in and not be able to use it. Doubt there is going to be anything until Q4 or 17Q1 that may fit the bill.

5. Kumabjorn

You're in luck, Onyx has an e-Reader called M96 with pen support and Android 4.4.2, and it is standard Android with some specific e-ink optimized apps pre-installed.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. mgerbasio

thanks. Checked on Amazon but it is too big at ~10". Will look around though. Seems there are other similar products I'll take a look at.

7. Kumabjorn

I believe they have models down to six inch screens. But those are older and thus so is the technology in them.

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Well, I joined this here forum too late to participate in already opened (old) threads. It is now nearly the end of 2016 & are we still waiting for this?

As I posted elsewhere in this forum, there are alternative digital Moleskin replacements already in the market. I use one myself.

I'm bumping this thread. I find these type of discussions fascinating.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Just wait; smart phones are getting there...

10. mgerbasio

I still don't get why they can't release an 8" Surface running W10M. This fixation MS has with running x86 programs on a small screen doesn't make sense to me. I have enough problems trying to run older software on new machines with high DPI. I'd like a W10M 8" and, if it is that important, do what HP is going and come up with a service for x86 bit software when connected online. The 8" is perfect for notes, email, browsing, reading, lite Office apps and with W10M they all work great.

thierryb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.