We Need an 8" Surface!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Intel doesn't think 10" and below is possible with Core M. And they are the optimistic ones! No ODM attempted Core M in anything smaller than 10.6", and for good reason.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And I thought I was a crazy dreamer...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The last line from this excerpt leads me to believe that the Core M will replace some Atom applications. My guess is that the 10" 2-1 tablet is one of those applications.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Question - have they fixed the Core M battery life - everything I have read showed the Surface Pro 4 i5 outlives the Core M, with far better performance? The only gain is a fanless design.

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been VERY satisfied with my MiPad2!! It's a hair smaller/thinner than an ipad mini 4, but runs full windows. No expandable storage which is a bummer. The only thing missing is a kickstand. Very cheap to buy, and I just put on an ipad mini skinomi skin on it, and a glass screen protector on the front and am able to just pop it into my back pocket whenever I'm on the go.

6. Shogmaster

They will have to, but I'm telling you, they will have to decrease the size of those dies. Unless you are happy with $600 minimum for 10" tablet.

I think at least they will create a cheaper smaller die version by marrying Cherry Trail's GPU with Core M3.

7. Shogmaster

That would only be the case if they forced Core M to max out on turbo with extended ridiculous work loads. That's not what Core M was designed to handle well.

I don't know if you guys watched Top Gear, but remember the test when they forced a Prius to drive over 100MPH continuously against a BMW? The BMW ended up going faster (obviously) but also with better fuel economy. That's because Prius was not designed to drive at over 100MPH continuously while BMW was. Prius can go over 100MPH when forced, but it is far from efficient at that speed. It's happy place is below 60MPH.

This is the same with Core M. It is not designed to sustain full turbo speed. It's happy place is around 5~7W. At 15W, it's gonna get clobbered by it's i5 brother in all scenarios.

sonichedgehog360, ships10 and Bronsky like this.
  8. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I would've bought a galaxy note pro 8.4, if it would've been made.

I'd consider a small Surface, but would Windows be as useful as Android at that size?

Truth is I don't need either. I need the Surface Pro

That size Surface (or Note) really could fill a need for heavy note takers though. Easy to hold, enough room to write (and rest your palm a bit)

9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd like a surface mini too. But, I'm not married to the MS hardware platform as the Android apps are pretty good now. My needs for an 8" aren't the same as my needs for a laptop. So, a Nexus tablet with a nice pen/digitizer for onenote would work just as well for me. I wouldn't be planning on running any Win32 apps on it. I'm hoping we'll see something come of the Wacom/MS partner ship where I can use one pen for my Surface and Android tablet. Maybe MS tossed RT a little to soon!

10. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with the old Roman's point about the Moleskine - which was Panos' point about the Mini. They ARE productivity devices, just not the only productivity device a person would use. So having one in the Surface Pro line makes sense.

However, Moleskine's come in different sizes. A small Moleskine, if dimensioned like a pc, would be approximately a 6.5 inch screen - not much larger than the 1520 Windows phone, which is 6.0. Do that size for a Surface Phone, and you have your Moleskine included in a device to carry - and that can be a more significant productivity device with a USB-C cable and Windows 10 Continuum.

The large Moleskine is approximately 9.8 diagonal, i.e., approximately the size of a Surface 3.

So with the simple addition of a Surface Mini based on USB-C or TB3, with Windows 10 continuum, we have the large and small sized Moleskine's covered, and our West Texas roman can be happy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.