We Need an 8" Surface!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think it would kill MS to do some small production runs of a real CoreM X86 4GB 128 GB drive Surface mini.

just because something is niche doesn't mean it doesn't have value and a place for those like me that want one.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@swanlee - I'm afraid that's what they've been doing with Lumia for some time now, so I wouldn't hold my breath for another niche filler from Microsoft...as much as I want one as well...

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Deal me in!

4. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Well at this point Surface Phone and Surface mini are the biggest most obvious categories missing from the Surface Line. Panoy loves his so even he see's the value of a Surface mini. We just need one with legit modern spec's and not RT.

5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes! I want one. Atom not dead with Apollo Lake, which would be perfect for this device. The dead Atom is the SoC with built in modem for WWAN. But an integrator now has to provide the modem separately for the device. They may kill off the Atom name, but it will live on in next gen devices with the Apollo Lake SoC.

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Come on Microsoft I want a note taker now. Something more svelte than the SP4.

7. Tachnyrus

Tachnyrus Pen Pal - Newbie

Sadly, economic reality probably won't let this happen - I suspect 8" is too small for *most* people to regularly use, and there's a limit on how expensive they can price Atom/ApolloLake before effectively nobody bites. Besides, Microsoft is probably the only company that can do it right, as all the garbage tablets coming out of other manufacturers show.

Would be nice though...

8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

If they could squeeze in 8GB of RAM, improve their "tablet mode" and get some traction with UWP then I could be interested in an 8" Surface as well. At home it would be docked and used as a desktop replacement; on the go it would be used like an iPad (consumption plus note-taking). Until then I continue to wait for Surface 4 (or maybe Mesosphere's "Surface Air"). I'm giving Microsoft until early 2017 and their rumored hardware+software update to get their act together. If they don't then I'm pulling the trigger on an iPad Pro 9.7" (unless Google does something unexpectedly good with an Android tablet).

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No, all Atoms are dead for tablets for sure. No more Willow Trail. PERIOD. Apollo Lake line are 7W processors and would suck hard for an 8" device.

10. dartho19

dartho19 Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe they can fit a next-gen kaby lake core m into a ~9" if they use passive cooling via heatpipes like the Surface pro 4. But the final cost can be prohibitive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.