We Need an 8" Surface!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Small (but important) update below:
    After reading tens of thousand so of posts, and writing thousands of my own, I have become more convinced than ever that we need an 8" Surface (dare I say, even calling it a Surface Pro?).

I was replying to a post in another thread, and felt it was time to convince Panos and company that they are missing a very substantial niche product. With so many of us moving to Surface Book, and a soon to be flood of sub-three pound 15" laptops (LG, Samsung, Dell), this would be a no-brainer. As nice as the Galaxy note 5 is, that is NOT an adequate canvas for anything but one line notes and lists. The steno pad and moleskin have gained a famed historical status for good reason - they are the ONLY size that has stuck that is sub yellow-pad.

Imagine this sports fans:
    • < 1 pound
    • < 0.30" thick
    • 8" near bezel-less OLED
    • Wacom stick (dreaming there) but surely N-Trig like our grown up Surface Book
    • 4gb RAM
    • 128gb SSD
    • mSDXC slot
    • USB-c (x2) or Thunderbolt 3 (x1)
    • 4g LTE
    • Touch cover (yes, very thin typing cover in a pinch)
    And the clincher - If you own one of its big brothers, you get Bluetooth syncing with your Surface Book or Surface Pro to share LTE, OneNote and data files without the need for a WiFi cloud!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Eh. 8" isn't great for productivity, and the Surface line is trying to differentiate itself as a productivity line.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its kind of impossible to see that kind of device any time.
    Intel and OEM are much focus on high end segment where profit are much higher for both of them.
    After all Windows 10 as tablet UI is totally a joke under 9 inches device, unless MS improve OS a lot.

Plus SSD will never see in that inches device.
    UFS storage technology is very closed to SSD performance 300/200 read/write so its very good alternative for small device if ever OEM make that kind of device.

I have my strong doubt ever happened.

But for my taste I would prefer 8.9 inches like Nexus 9.:p
    8 inches is to small I can say.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree I'm the poster boy for 8 inch Windows Tablets.

I have had an Acer W4 for several years and has been my daily computing device during that time. These small windows tablets are awesome when they work. I use mine as a portable music device, do all my web surfing and general computing on it. One handed carry and small size make them very adaptable.

If you check this thread below you will see I went on a LONG journey to replace my Acer W4 with a modern spec'd 8 inch Windows tablets

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/hp-608-g1-comparison-impressions-a-long-journey.69321/

Long story short Cherrytrail sucks in an 8 inch form factor due to QA issues, OEM's are to lazy to do proper QA. I ended up with a 10 inch Surface 3. MS did prove that cherrytrail can be made to work well and be stable if you actually pay attention to make a good device.

The HP 608 G1 was very close to being "The" real deal 8 inch tablet. 4GB ram/128GB drive 2048X1536 Screen Res.

It had touch screen and Wifi issues relating to driver/Firmware. Bad QA killed a device that could have been awesome.

So it is COMPLETELY possible to make an 8 inch Tablet with modern spec's and decent battery life. These OEM's just need to step up and do proper QA on them.

Essentially though I want a Surface 3 shrunk down to 8 inches. That is my perfect tablet.

I'd pay $700 for that.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also need hdmi out, one micro usb and usbC, both will allow to charge the surface, and no interference between Wifi and bluetooth
    And will buy 2 to replace my 2 AVN8

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@thierryb - how's that AVN8 still working for you - upgrade to Windows 10?

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The one I use the most was upgraded to windows 10, and even the Insider Preview. The second one will migrate at the end of this month.

I continue to love them.
    My first AVN8 is my primary and only PC.
    The second one is only in case of an issue, and I had a lot.
    I changed the touch and digitizer connector, I changed the usb board twice, I was blocked with the first release of Win 10.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I always had a soft spot for the 8-inch tablets......it is however a real pity, with Intel killing off Atom....that essentially kills off 8-inchers.

The more widespread adoption of phablets kind of crippled that market anyway. My use of the AVN8 decreased drastically when I got the GN5. The screen size increase up from my old iPhone 5s made carrying the Note 5 itself difficult enough....now to toss a 8-inch windows tablet into the mix when I'm already schlepping around a 6-inch phone...it just became harder to justify. To bring my AVN8 anyway I would need to bring a backpack or a bag of some sort....and if you're going to carry around an 8-incher in a bag.....opting for a 10 or 12 inch device becomes alot easier to throw in that bag instead.

At this point in tech times....I think a 6-inch Surface Phone/Phablet would be more likely then a 8-incher.

However I would hope that should a Surface 4 come out....in addition to Core M, 4-8 GB Ram, 128 GB SSD, etc.....Microsoft makes it smaller.....the 10.8 size and bezel doesn't make it significantly smaller then the 12 inch Pros.

Ideally....what I would love more then anything would be for Microsoft to make the Surface 4 the same size/thickness/weight as the Ipad Pro 9.7. Even the 3/4 ratio I'd prefer over 2/3....but if they can get it that small or smaller by eliminating the Bezels....that would more sufficiently bridge the gap for those looking for a 8-inch option.

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Someone's getting desperate...

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.