We are on the Verge of Losing a Jewel.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Bronsky, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The year I was married, my new bride and I left the east coast US for Lake Tahoe, where we had decided to spend a year getting to know each other. Law school was looming in the distance, as I had defered my acceptance to Rutgers here in New Jersey for a year so I could get married. Once there, I worked at Kirkwood, a local ski resort on the backside of Carson pass and my wife worked in Harrahs in South Lake Tahoe. We lived up at 7,200' asl in an area known as Christmas Valley. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The majesty of waking up each morning and gazing at the snow capped peaks up around 11,000' or 12,000' is hard to describe. Suffice it to say that, leaving there was one of the most difficult decisions I have made in my life. The higher elevations of the South Lake are are strikingly beautiful and the landscapes on the other side of Echo Summit, the pass above our home on Pioneer Trail, are other worldly.

On Monday, the Caldor fire burned its way up the back side of the Sierras and through Echo Summit. I understand that it has started burning its way down Route 50 into South Lake, very likely engulfing the little A-Frame that held so many wonderful memories for me and my wife, the year we starved in paradise and had the time of our lives. We speak often of those times and always intended to return to get a glimpse of our newelywed home in the mountains. It may now be too late.

Christmas Valley stands poised to suffer the same fate that Paradise, CA suffered a few years ago, essentially burning to the ground. If so, we stand to lose a true jewel, which is the only way to describe this mountain top community.

[​IMG]

Fire at Echo Summit on Monday.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When you read these stories, it is sad. When look at the whole wildfire map, it becomes terrifying.

(FWAC)
    [​IMG]

Tragedies like this are occurring all over the most beautiful forests of North America—simultaneously.

And then, you scroll that map over and realize it happening across the pond in Europe and parts of Asia, and suddenly you're pondering a career change.

For all our vaunted technology, we are just about helpless as our ape ancestors; is it really worth it to keep focusing on goods and chip shortages, while the world is literally burning down around us? o_O

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Chris_Kez, JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh man, well put. I *LOVE* Lake Tahoe and the mountains around it. I've visited quite a few times (ten?) for camping, hiking, and hanging by the beach. Such a great place. I've driven past Echo Summit, but I don't think I ever stopped there. It's terrible to see what the fires are doing. If you want to deepen the depression, here's another great map showing burnt areas and active fires as spotted from space.

The one positive is that at least nature itself rebounds "quickly". In a few years (yeah, not that quick) there will be a lot of greenery, replacing the scorched look with something more natural. That doesn't bring back Echo Summit buildings though, but at least there will still be beautiful views around Tahoe.

upload_2021-9-2_16-51-15.png
    ^ Extent of the burnt and burning regions

Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Before we left the Bay Area altogether, we looked for about a year and half at houses in the Santa Cruz mountains. That area was then destroyed by the CZU Lightning complex fire. My husband still very much wants to move back, and while I sill follow real estate in various areas around the Bay, I'm also closely watching the fires. I just don't see how it makes sense to try to move back when the area keeps burning, and it's not going to get better. My heart goes out to everyone and everything being lost out there.

5. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

One of my sisters lost a home near Calistoga (Santa Rosa area north of San Francisco) to fire some (5 or 6?) years ago. Rebuilt and nearly lost it again last year. They had to evacuate. So yeah, it doesn't make much sense to buy anywhere there's combustible stuff, for now.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm seeing that Sequoia National Park is on fire, **** it! Not a great year for nature..