Watch thread does not work!! Why?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by michaelws, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am on a Windows PC and registered to this forum...for years. For the last few months when I subscribe to "Watch Threads" it only works a couple of times and then I get no more email notifications. I make a point of clicking the link in the email to bring up the thread, whether or not I actually submit a reply. But for some reason it no longer sends me notifications of new posts to the thread.

When I am in it shows that I am "watching" that thread...but I get no notifications. I have to click "unwatch thread" and then click "watch thread" and check the button to receive email notifications for it to work again. And again this only works for a couple of notifications and then I again get no notifications.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help on this topic will be appreciated...thanks

2. brubenstein22

brubenstein22 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Michael - I heard about something similar from one other user recently, so am looking at what might be going on. I'll let you know what I find out.

3. michaelws

Thank you Brubenstein...hope you can find out why.

4. brubenstein22

brubenstein22 Scribbler - Standard Member

So after some testing and research, here's what I found: The way XenForo manages subscriptions, you will stop getting notifications if you don't return to the thread (i.e., you'll get one, but if you don't visit the thread again, you'll stop getting them until you revisit the thread). This was the case for me (the threads I watched did send notifications regularly as long as I clicked on the notification to go back to the thread., although Michael, it sounds like even when you returned to the thread you still did not receive new notifications. Still not sure why that is happening but will continue to look into it.

On another note, I did find that Tapatalk sends all notifications regardless of whether you've gone back and visited the thread or not.

5. michaelws

Thanks brubenstein22. Yes I try to always click the link to return to the thread in order to maintain my "Watch Thread" status. I DID receive the email notification of your post here. Good luck. I hope that you discover the anomaly. I appreciate your efforts on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.