Was a tablet a necessity?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by super-x, Aug 14, 2013.

?

What do you think of your tablet?

1. It's one big gadget

58 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. It has helped tremendously in college

144 vote(s)
    71.3%
  1. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

The Topic it self is not well thought at all.

I would say this isn't a professional discussion nor a very useful discussion.

Many Product designers,car designers,comic Artists and illustrators need compact Portable workstations.So,it obvious that a Tablet PC is a necessity for only a particular classes of consumers.

Many people see a Tablet PC as a device to easily see emails and reply them while being all done with Mobility.iPad is great tablet PC for fast & quick easly readable emails.Mobile Phones have their own limitations.A tablet PC can display larger and much clear images than a Mobile Phone.

Inventors and Car designers like me Infact prefer a very high end Wacom Penabled,progessional,very powerful Tablet PC such as ModBook Pro (13.3 inch with 3.6 GHz(Turbo) core 17 processor,480 Gigs of SSD and 16 GB basic RAM).
    We cannot have special life-like shading effects on a car design,so easily on a paper,whereas it can just so easy and neat with a Tablet PC!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

mmm sorry for this guys.... maybe is only me that can't stand anymore all this modbook advertising in every post I read?

Anyway, "Aman", why don't you put your modbook ads in your signature and stop writing about in every possible post, by the way if someone post a discussion and people answer how can you say is not an useful and professional discussion?
    I didn't read "forum open only to professionals" anywhere in here; I think a forum should be a place where people discuss about stuff, possibly tablet related here, not a place where you try to tell everyone what to buy, or at least do that it in the right place!

thank you!

3. Aman

Thanks for your views.
    I think,I am started liking the enginiering of ModBook Pro and even its paper like enumulating glass surface and its you-Tube videos .I am becoming its fan.

Well,it won't be a commercial advertisement,but definately I will like to promote ModBook Pro for Artists only.
    Its a good Idea to do a Signature explaining ModBook Pro's features.

I promote anything which is innovative,not necessary a Tablet PC,as I do with Volvo's pedestrian airbag system and Volvo's City Safety.
    I am passionate about vehicle safety technologies and car designing too!
    I am inventing an engine that runs on Gravitational force,I am sure some people will laugh when I say"Gravity Powered Engines."
    I like vehicle Physics.I combine Quantum physics,Enginiering,NanoTechnology,Aerodynamics,car concept designing and Passion into Automobile Physics (Aka Automobile Enginiering).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  4. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Oh man.

Anyway ...

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, I'd request you put the above quote into your signature rather than your computer preference.

This will allow people a benchmark against which to judge the validity of your oft-repeated opinions about Tablet computing.

As for the value of the Tablet PC in general...

I would definitely say that rigging my studio and workflow with this technology was among the best decisions and acquisitions of my last four years. It may sound over-dramatic, but being able to directly draw into digital space, cutting out the scanner and the inflexibilities of paper, has breathed new life into my work days.

As it happens, the entirety of my last graphic novel project, ("Stardrop, Vol 2" is now pressed, shipped and available from my website linked in my signature for anybody who is interested), was done entirely on legacy Toshiba Tablet PCs. I think the difference in line-quality alone between this new book and the previous one (which was done using the old scanned ink/paper technique) is readily apparent.

As much as I still love paper and traditional media, digital work facilitated by EMR stylus and digitizer screens offer enormous advantages in an illustrator's ability to realize his or her visions. Society has been taking advantage of advents in technology wrt media all through history:

We went from one-off oil paints, (which were groundbreaking at the time; the old oil masters were rock stars in their day, to the amazing reproduction ability of wood cut artists, (like Gustave Dore), which then gave way to photographic reproduction techniques allowing for pen and ink artwork to be reproduced and mass-distributed and thus affect culture.

Digital art creation is the next logical step given the technological development arc we are experiencing as a race. It's very exciting to be at the forefront of the latest watershed medium!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

It's all starting to make sense now! :rolleyes:

7. penn

penn Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think tablet is a necessity. It is a trade off between weight, size and keyboard. So if your type of use is not much of typing and a lot of showing and moving, then tablet may be a much better fit for you. I am a keyboard guy and use keyboard shortcut a lot. For many types of work, you just cannot beat the efficiency of a keyboard at current stage of input technology. Not with your mouse (especially not the 1 click type) or pen or touch. For future input technology, who knows. So the short answer, no.

8. Aman

That is because,you don't design cars or don't invent.
    You just want to use inventions and products designed by designers who depend 60 percent on a Penabled Tablet PC.
    So,for many intelligent guys,who change the world,a Penabled Tablet PC is a very big necessity.

That is why I had said previously that the topic of this thread is not very useful at all and the discussion is not very correct here (not to be rude here,but this is a reality).
    Inventors don't generally like to sketch on a non-portable Wacom Cintiq.If we generate an immediate idea:we need to put it down neatly,quickly.We need to modify ideas and give real life shading effects quickly,continuously.

Inventors can get ideas at midnight 3 o'clock or 4 o' clock anywhere,even in a car or hotel room and nothing can be much handy than a penabled Tablet PC,not even Wacom Cintiq.
    If you were to edit on paper continuously,you will start noticing light pencil marks on the line parts you erased.This will kill the neatness.And if you were to give special sgphading effects on paper,then you will not use your time very well and with efficient productivity.
    On paper,you spend 3 hours (or some times 3 days to perfect it.)to apply a special real life shading effects.On a Tablet PC with stylus,you can do it within lesser than 30 seconds or a bit more.
    For us,a Sylus is a must.Otherwise,how good the Tablet PC is,its not that worthy for me.
    Whether a Tablet PC is necesity or not?This all depends on your professional and persional workstyle.The expected answer for this question cannot be at all universal for everyone.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

haha

welp, guess I'm one of those intelligent guys who change the world...

...It's kinda like a bit of 4chan came to grace our stodgy forums.

10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

:D that's ammusing...I was starting to think that BORДT was shopping for ModBook.