Was a tablet a necessity?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by super-x, Aug 14, 2013.

?

What do you think of your tablet?

1. It's one big gadget

58 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. It has helped tremendously in college

144 vote(s)
    71.3%
  1. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did sketches for my module report on the tablet, and it looked far better than the scanned pencil-sketches that everyone else handed in ^_^

If you're not using it much, then maybe you don't really need it? You can ink in powerpoint, both in presentation mode and out of it.

I won't even mention the hundreds it's saved for me in terms of printing and stationery costs.

I would have voted both, since it is one big gadget that has helped me tremendously in college, LOL.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I have already mentioned in post 2 above; a lot of people (myself included) can not vote because of the limitation of the Poll.

Again, the Poll should have been broadened to all users and not just College life.

3. pav_kov

pav_kov Pen Pal - Newbie

What screen size do you have?
    In my 14" Gateway cx210x big screen is more than a feeling of paper. Also it is a part of habit. You'll get used to it.

Just USE tablet not paper.

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just read the thread again, and decided to list some of the things I do with a tablet that I couldn't possibly do just as well with a normal laptop.

1. Read online magazines (from Zinio)
    2. Annotate notes and documents (PDF, MDI/TIF, doc, ppt, etc...)
    3. Handwrite tutorials and assignments (JNT)
    4. Revise lectures on the train - standing.
    5. Get some sketching/scribbling done between/during lessons. And save as image/PDF and email them to people if necessary (managed to draft out a whole meeting agenda this way)
    6. Show laptop screen contents to group members (via T4210 bi-directional hinge)
    7. Save lots of money on stationery, printing costs and writing pads (probably enough to cover for the tablet premium by end of this year)
    8. Reduce end-of-semester filing to a mere 300MB RAR file, vs 2 thick binder files.
    9. Messenger bag for school weighing no more than 5-6 pounds; writing materials (pen, pencil, calculator), jacket, some paper, all textbooks and notes included.
    10. Never lose anything you write down - which happens far too often with paper scraps.

oh, and...

11. Get started on setting up a paperless office (will require scanner, digital camera among other things)

Granted, you'll need to be more than just a little proficient with computers in general in order to fully maximise tablet usage - I see too many professors struggling with their tablets, figuring out how to keep their scribblings (they use powerpoint presentation mode; I think Windows Journal is better) or not knowing that certain settings will make their life much easier. But that's what we're here for =)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. integradb

integradb Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just began using my tablet and I'm finding out two things;
    1) the size makes it extremely useful in so many ways,
    2) I am finding more ways to make use of the tablet in my business, &
    3) because next to nobody uses a tablet in my bus. field it certainly stands out and sometimes first impressions are everything in a sales situation.

6. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I desperately tried using it in tablet mode but found me not using it anymore exept for browsing on the couch. Main pronblems I see: The pen is just not accurate enough and device is too heavy to hold it with one hand (x61t).

7. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

The pen is not accurate enough? Have you tried calibrating the screen (Tablet and Pen Settings)? The spatial resolution of the digitizer is actually several times greater than the resolution of your display.

8. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

yes, relative resolution is perfect, you can write smoothly and as fast as on paper. It even looks better because of the bezier-curve ink fitting.
    Anyway, stylus and inking is always 1-2mm out of position, no matter what you calibrate. Especially at the edges. Seems to be an issue of the magnetic field used by the Wacom digitizer. Finer calibration with more than 4 reference points might solve this problem, but there seems to be no solution yet.
    This is not so much a problem when writing, but it slows you down selecting the bottons, e.g., the close button which is quite tiny at 1400x1024 pixel resolution.

And finally, using a soft keyboard at high speed is next to impossible.

I have a Dell Axim x51v PDA. There the pen has zero deviation and no lag at all. I can type with the soft keyboard at almost the same speed as I do with the normal keyboard (60-80 WpM on Fitaly or Speedscript). As this was my main indent getting a tablet I am quite a bit disappointed.

9. integradb

integradb Pen Pal - Newbie

I love my X61t! Not being a 'gadget' savvy guy it will take me a LONG TIME to get the most out of this. If this were somthing more easily accessible to purchase where I could get hands on help I would be so much further ahead! I read some of these forums that explain how to do 'this or that' and what sounds easy, isn't.

I have therefore come to realize that this computer is definitely at the cutting edge. A phenominal tool for those who are computer savvy. But untill I get hands on my X61t will be very much underutilized. For those of you who know computers you're missing out!

10. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find that the necessity of tablet functionality has depended greatly on software implementation. My x61t was great for on the fly video editing, but my Sony SZ is better for more versatile business situations. My 4220 was great as an all round tool but again the SZ is a little more versatile when it comes down to what the specs are. For example, on the rare occasion that I needed to implement some 3DSMAX work into whatever I was working on, the hardware OpenGL acceleration on the 8400 in the SZ was a much better choice in that it took less time to do the task at hand, used less power by doing that task quicker and therefore lasted longer in general. A quick reboot would bring me back to integrated graphics, and the Sony screen is just as good as if not better than that of the 4220.

I don't dispute the fact that taking digital notes is a Godsend, but most software is just as functional with a regular notebook, with few actually utilizing the added functionality of a tablet to the fullest. But when it does, that makes all the difference.