Was a tablet a necessity?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by super-x, Aug 14, 2013.

?

What do you think of your tablet?

1. It's one big gadget

58 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. It has helped tremendously in college

144 vote(s)
    71.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123456

123456 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a tablet thinking that it will be useful for taking notes in college. I've had classes for a week now and have found that I don't really use it. My teachers upload their powerpoints onto the internet. I then just print them out and write directly on them. The only class I have been using it is in math. My professor is all over the place so it's cool that I can move my notes around and add spaces easily.

For the most part, I find that the tablet is useful when I'm doing reading on the computer. Other than that, it's just one big gadget. So what do you guys think? Do you think buying a tablet really helps you in college? Or do you think it's one big gadget?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't just limit this to college.

A lot of others (myself included) use a Tablet in the business industry.
    For this I find it extremely useful otherwise I'd just use a Laptop all of the time.

3. rupan

rupan Pen Pal - Newbie

My professors do the same thing. I plan on using my tablet to take notes directly on the slides. I know it can be done becasue a professor of mine did it last semester in class. That way you dont have to print out the slides and everything is right there on your laptop. No more wondering where you put that notebook.

Plus you can use OneNote or Word to take notes. It sounds like you may not be using the tablet to its full potential.

4. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

I have to say, there is nothing like being in a meeting, Drawing diagrams, and taking notes, that you can ship off to engineering within seconds. Notas much for text as for equasions, charts, and theoretical stuff.

From a sales prospective, bringing up a quote, and having them sign, on screen (while legally questionable) allows the sales process to flow. act on the decision.

You might notice I am both a salesguy, and a geek.

Plus, with OneNote, and a lot of training, my chicken scratch actually converts to searchable text. I have to let yo9u know that I have 15 years of uncatogorized notebooks, spirals, tablets, stickies, and misc scraps... that necer got into the system. I would highly reccomend getting in the habbit now, as it always seems to happen, I know I drew up an algorythm for that a few years ago, now where did I put that?

ART

5. tabletdiehard

tabletdiehard Scribbler - Standard Member

It's pretty insulting to say someone's BIG GADGET doesn't do real work, isn't it :D

6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Scribbler - Standard Member

I wish I had a tablet when I was in college.

OneNote was good, but OneNote on a tablet would've been better.

Myself, the only reason I have a tablet now is because I wanted a 1400x1050 screen on a 12.1" machine. (Well, OK, my work wanted me to have a similar machine to the other staff.) I use Ink Desktop extensively to note which machines need attention. (I'm the computer tech for a K-12 private school.)

7. SmicK31

SmicK31 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh wow I use my T2010 all the time in class (and not just for internet surfing ;) ) but OneNote is soooooo helpful! Lots of pros except for the pricetag

8. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

best thing ever, even surpassing the legendary sliced bread

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

I use mine constantly in the field. I update CADD drawings on site, take tons of notes (I don't type very well....it was not cool to take typing in school when I attended...something I regret now). I love it.

10. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Never liked bread much but "best thing ever" pretty much nails it.

Will have a Tablet-PC in reach for the rest of my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.