Warranty options: Microsoft 2 yrs VS Squaretrade?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by 91709jack, May 13, 2018.

1. 91709jack

91709jack Pen Pal - Newbie

Considering the nSP, i7, 16GB 512GB, Amazon & Microsoft both have deals that come to a little under $2,000.

1. The Microsoft Protection Plan is $148, for 2 yrs.

2. SquareTrade offers either a 3 yr for about $361, and even a 4 yr for around $448.

Here's my experience: Bought my SP3 - an i5, when they first came out in 2014. (FYI, I take it with me almost everyday as a real estate agent going door to door. My SP3s are worked to the max!) Cracked screen 2x - once kneeling down and forgot my SP3 was in my crossbody as it tapped the concrete. Replaced no problem. After that, had to get it replaced ANOTHER 2x due to 2 problems: 1 - I had to attach & remove the keyboard multiple times before it would recognize the keyboard was there, and the second time the screen edge sort of discolored. Really have to give the MS store & support props. They ended up exchanging my i5 for an i7 when they didn't have anything on hand the last time! So coming up 4 years, I'm really on my FOURTH SP3.

I don't need the latest & greatest, and only look to change when it happens to be on the blink. My current SP3 is showing a few hiccups every now & then, and I guess you never know.

Also aware for SPs out of warranty, one can pay the $599 and exchange it. So here's my thought: SquareTrade at 4 years is an extra $300. If I only needed to use it ONCE in the 3rd & 4th year, which in my experience is HIGHLY probable, that's already cheaper then the $599.

Thanks to the responses from my other post, it's my (very uneducated) opinion that going forward the jumps in PERCEIVABLE performance will become less & less. Like supercars costing an extra $150K for the top model to shave off 0.05 seconds from 0-60.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Your post is a bit long and confusing, but what I gather is that you had the MS Complete wtty and got 4 replacements - 1 a free upgrade - under the ADH provision. I've had similarly good experience with the Complete wtty and read nearly universal praise. It's a particularly good deal at $150 for the nSP. So here's the problem with the Square Trade/Assurion ADH wttys: they are only good for one use and they simply cut you a check for your original purchase price. It's true that you get the extra 1-2 years of coverage and that is cheaper if you have an "oops" in those years vs. trading in, but your own experience with the MS wtty pretty much tells why you should go with it again. Particularly if your field use tends to put the device at risk, you will spend less for the wtty and get multiple replacements. If you really want to have continuous coverage for ADH, you'd be best off using the MS Complete and, when there's about 4 months left on it, sell the unit (you'll get a significant premium for having even 4 mos of Complete left to transfer) and buy something new and get the MS wtty again - presuming you still want a Surface product at that time. That's my opinion, anyway.

91709jack and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

I would still go for Microsoft Protection Plan.

91709jack likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

MS Complete.

91709jack likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Complete is the better option if you're in the US for convenience, especially with the option of popping into a store, but they really need to give consumers better options in terms of warranty duration/extension.

Basically to get longer warranty terms you have to be in Business or Education and they make you jump through hoops to get it, that's not the case with the other OEM's.

91709jack likes this.