Warning to tx1000/2000 users.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by rusty spork, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusty spork

rusty spork Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my tx2000 for approx 15 months. I figured the one year warranty would be good enough, it wasn't. Just a short two weeks ago, my wireless card stopped working.

Letting the computer run diagnostic tests to find out what was wrong lead to me being prompted to reinstall the "missing" driver software. The drivers for my wireless card were reinstalled, and I was able to happily surf the internet once again. That night I turned of my computer, and went to bed. The next morning I woke up only to find the same prompt to reinstall the driver software. Something was up...

I re-downloaded, re-installed, and this time, my wireless didn't work.

Fast forward a couple days and this is what I have found out:

1) This is not just a wireless card problem, the root of the problem comes from the heat of the computer, which in turn causes shorting of connections. Future problems can include; issues with suspend/sleep modes, computer display problems, and even total failure of the motherboard.

2) HP has a few other computers that have this problem, and they recognized it (albeit after doing some shady BIOS updating; which only increased the fan speed, and delayed the problem past warranty expiration). HP extended the warranty of a few specific computers (details can be found here)

3) This is a common problem among tx1000s, even other tx2000s like mine have been affected (around 50ish people have posted about this problem on HP's own support forums (here). Perhaps even the tx2's harbor this problem, although it might be a few months until anyone finds out about it.

4) If your computer is out of warranty, you are out of luck. The cost of getting the "burnt" out bits replaced is around $500. Even if you pay to get the parts replaced, it is likely you will have problems again several months down the road. There is hope though, I have found one case where HP has fixed a tx2000 (here) out of warranty and at no cost to the owner (after around 3 months of dealing with the various tiers of HP tech support).

5) I would recommend that if you have one of these computers (and you still have the 1 year warranty), please extend it by at least one year. Save yourself the trouble of having a brick of a computer, HP won't do anything about it.

Here is my thread on the HP support forums.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. wtfbollos

wtfbollos Pen Pal - Newbie

really weird, had a tx1340ea for over a year now..

a few days ago, the wireless networking would not disable. it says:

it is not possible to disable the connection at this time. this connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug and play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account.

totally not working. if i press advanced settings in the wireless properties, the applet just exits and dumps me on the desktop.

so, did a search, various "solutions" were suggested, so i couldn't find one that seemed to nail it. so i reinstalled windows (an "upgrade" first, that didn't work, then a full new rebuild.)

obviously this is drastic, but the laptop has only a few apps on it and it didn't work anyway :mad:

initially after the rebuild it seemed to work, but after a few suspends and resumes, back to square1. no wireless!

i'm thinking it might be the actual module itself, not sure how much they cost, but thought i may as well try here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction?

cheers,
    bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

There is a announcement in the HP forums regarding this. It is commonly known that the TX series are sub par to help reduce the price.

4. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wireless cards are relatively cheap. I'm not sure if your laptop uses mini PCI or mini PCIE but you can go on ebay and they seem to start at under $10 for the mini PCI flavor.

As for what is wrong it could be something as simple as a loose connection to the motherboard. Have you tried reseating the card to see if this solves the problem? If it is not that it could be the card or the motherboard. Since the cards are so cheap if it was me I would go ahead and buy a replacement card and see if that solves the problem.

5. kpholsey

kpholsey Pen Pal - Newbie

6. kpholsey

kpholsey Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a very serious defect that hp will not acknowledge, eventually your symtoms will worsen and you will not be able to turn your display on!!!!........

I have stared a petition about the dead tx series , please everybody sign it so we can start doing something, its not much but its a start!
    (http://www.petitiononline.com/deadhptx/petition.html)

7. wtfbollos

hi thx for your feedback TO..

yes i did get me WC out wave it about a bit and put it back..

i'll get a new one and see what that is.. :)

8. wtfbollos

omg a dying wireless card screws up your graphics card?!

wowsa, that sounds fkkd up..

as it happens, i have dug out some of the annoying plastic grills just inside my heats vents, so i'm hoping that improved the airflow a bit, but i take on board what you are saying, thx for your feedback also :)

9. darkassain

darkassain Pen Pal - Newbie

actually its the other way around...
    the gpu cooks the wifi card which is your first symptom as i see it...
    the cause is the nvidia gpu becoming too hot and eventually killing itself

there is a workaround
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?message.uid=62067
    and a video showing the steps necessary...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=musu759LsT4

10. Nihility

Nihility Pen Pal - Newbie

The link you posted to the forums says the message was deleted.

This link:
    http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...188907&admit=109447627+1248471338646+28353475

has a whole lot of people in it (126 posts!!!) with the same problem. Also one of the people on the list has contacted a law firm:

We have to keep fighting HP on this, don't give up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.