WARNING!! Spectre X360 15.6 NTrig Problem - Touch Input Delays for 2 Seconds after Using the Pen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by simpleatsh, Mar 24, 2017.

?

Are you experiencing the touch delay issue on your 2017 edition of Spectre X360?

1. Yes, I am having the same issue.

66.7%
  2. No, I tried and I didn't notice this issue.

33.3%
  3. I haven't tried.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are considering buying the 2017 Edition of Spectre X360 15 laptop for the pen feature, hold your horse and read on!

I got my Spectre X360 15.6 2017 edition few days ago and immediately notice this very annoying issue. In short, the touch function is disabled for about 2 seconds after using the pen, which means everytime when you finish writing something with the pen, you have to wait for about 2 seconds before the touch screen responds to your finger input.

UPDATE 20170410: The nice folks from HP China just contacted me, they told me HP US was aware of this problem and working on a firmware update which should be released by the end of April.

UPDATE 20170327: Uploaded a video to YouTube demonstrating this problem, I have to apologize for my English, not native speaker here. Also included a Ntrig pen compatibility test in the video. :)

Also the "Ignore touch input when I am using my pen" setting doesn't solve this problem.

This is really annoying, and it slows down my workflow dramatically. And I have never experienced this issue before on any devices using NTrig digitizer, and I have used a lot NTrig devices (Fujistu 550, HTC Flyer, Sony Vaio Duos, Vaio Flips, Microsoft Surfaces). But I did noticed similar problem on some Wacom AES devices like the Thinkpad Yoga 14. I do remember HP mentioned somewhere that the pen uses Universal Windows Pen protocol, Is this part of the new protocol?

Besides the touch delay, I also experienced the usual Ntrig phantom clicks and the left cooling fan has been making clicking noises every time it comes on. I do like this device a lot, and are willing live with the minor issues, but the touch delay is a deal breaker for me, I would hate to send it back to HP.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Marty, kvoram and ATIVQ like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Good news for you. There is a setting that fixes/causes this:

Settings>Devices>Pen & Windows ink:

"Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen"

I had originally toggled that on, thinking it was about palm rejection, but it turns out it does just what you have experienced: ignores touch input other than pen when pen is in use and for a couple of seconds after you stop writing. Turn this setting off and you can use the touch screen for navigation any time but finger/hand contact will not make marks on screen - palm rejection is handled elsewhere, though I haven't figured out where. It's working fine on mine (the 13" version, with 4k screen).

I'm not experiencing the clicking you are referring to. I don't on my SP3 either, and I am using my SP4 pen on the Spectre, for what that's worth. Ntrig was of course famous for clicking historically, but I haven't noticed it since the SP3 came out and MS bought Ntrig.

One thing I am experiencing is whacky battery life. It's generally pretty decent, about 7 hours (recall, the 13 has a much smaller battery than the 15 - 57mwh vs 80) but drops dramatically when any significant load occurs. That's not unusual, but this machine seems to get "loaded" easier than others with lesser cpus, eg, installing software, the bottom gets quite warm, the fan spools and the battery drains pretty fast (run rate of more like 3 hrs). I'm limited in analysing just what is driving the load because for some reason this battery doesn't speak to any of several battery monitor utilities I've been using for years. Doesn't output real time power loads to my packages.

Anyway, I hope the pen setting takes care of your main problem. Jump in with any other thoughts you have.

Jeff

3. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Jeff, Thank you very much for the reply and suggestion, but unfortunately that "ignore touch" setting doesn't solve this problem as you can see from the video, it was actually the first thing I tried.

But I am glad to know that you don't have the problem with your 13 inch version, which suggests this might be easily fixable with a firmware or driver update.

4. Alexsul

Alexsul Pen Pal - Newbie

UPDATE 20170410: The nice folks from HP China just contacted me, they told me HP US was aware of this problem and working on a firmware update which should be released by the end of April.

It's good to hear that they are working on an update. This problem was so annoying for me that I returned my spec 13 for a surface book. I miss the small form factor, the weight, and the computing power, but the surface book has the fantastic aspect ratio and handy tablet feature. I have plenty of time to decide, but if this gets fixed it will make the decision that much harder!