Want to buy 2740p, but without defects?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Neverwinter, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there a certain date that a used 2740p should be made after in order to avoid defects?

2. Neverwinter

And what were the issues or defects that existed?

3. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

i don't think any 2740p register touches at the edges of the screen. if you have one you are very lucky. i would say buying a 2740p without defects is a matter of pure luck. unless you can get your hands on it and test the touches.
    even so, it isn't perfect. the edges of the touchpad wear away the paint on the bezel of the screen and the back of the screen.
    the locking mechanism of the screen is guaranteed to stop working after a while (mine was perfect but now it has some give and the screen wiggles)

i think tablet pcs are a relic of the past. the next gen ipad will have true pen support so I would wait for that.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would say don't worry about 'issues' or 'defects'. Just buy something with a legit Warranty with HP, either that already has the OnSite, or that can be upgraded to it later (OnSite warranty gets you a HP technician at your house/ office the next day, who will replace defunct parts and be done in about an hour) If there is something they can't fix, or if they screw something up, just call HP and they will send you a brand new unit that is equivalent/ better than yours was.

So just get something with a warranty and don't worry a about issues/ defects

@runningcode
    ... umm... a 'iPad' will NEVER EVER replace a Tablet PC for many people [you should know the reasons why]; and it will be a long time before Apple accepts a real pen input [remember that the great Steve-O said Pens and computing together were blasphemy? that isn't going away anytime soon; and there is no way Apple will be paying Wacom, or even N-Trig to use their digitizers]

Also, sometimes things wear out on computers, which is why you have a warranty. And, the reason the screen 'wiggles' is not because the latch is failing, it is because the little plastic nibs on the sides of the computer are loose (right at the very edge, at the bottoms of the Shift keys. If you want to, you can take the palm rest off and then use 2-part epoxy to glue them down from the inside -I did this when I got my used 2730p, and haven't had issues since; I do need to post the pics from that sometime as a quick guide, if you are interested, let me know and I'll get on it ASAP)

5. Neverwinter

Yeah, the iPad will probably never replace the tablet PC for most of us here... the iPad will probably never do 3D Studio Max, AutoCAD or play Fallout 3... the thing is that I store books for school on my tablet PC, so I tend to do math problems and etc. on it.

I'm surprised what you said about HP's on-site warranty. HP's warranty is looking pretty good. What are some other positives about their warranties? I was thinking of buying a refurbished unit on eBay, then adding extra warranty, especially ADP and on-site. Does anyone have any suggestions about purchasing extra warranties? How much time am I given to buy warranties? Because some of these units have only a 1 year warranty.

6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wait a second. How are you running Fallout 3 on Intel GMA graphics with anything resembling a decent framerate?

That said, I wouldn't trade my 2730p for an iPad or MacBook at all. I need the Wacom pen and OneNote.

7. Neverwinter

There is also the HP tm2t, which has a pretty good ATI graphics system that probably can run F3 fairly well...

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's the one exception to the rule, and the HD 4550/5450 is still pretty low-end in the grand scheme of things. (At least when you're used to seeing performance from desktops with overclocked CPUs and graphics cards on the level of a GeForce GTX 570.)

This is gonna sound funny, but I've largely given up on ever seeing another convertible Tablet PC with decent dedicated graphics, even in some sort of external dock. If I need that kind of performance on the go, I'll pinch my pennies and plunk down for a Lenovo ThinkPad W700 or W701 when I can afford it. Seems like convergence just isn't working out for me.

9. Neverwinter

Yeah, I see what you mean. It only seems to appeal to a small amount of people. I haven't tried the iPad, but I'm thinking that it excels where the tablet PCs don't. It's very thin, very portable, and probably easier to substitute as a slate than most of the convertible tablet PCs. I thought about buying something like the iPad if it can replace my notebook, but there might be problems with that. Carry an iPad AND a HP 2740p AND an AC adapter.

Then theres the Toshiba m200, Toshiba m4/m7, HP tx1000/2000 series and one of the earlier Gateway models with dedicated graphics... could be others, but I don't remember.

Does anyone know how well the graphics system works on the 2740p i5-540M? I thought I read that the benchmarks seem to show that the system does pretty well against other laptops w/a similar configuration.

Maybe examples of games w/resolution, configuration and FPS would be a good idea...

You guys think it will play Civ5 or Civ4 pretty well?

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Agent 9 rocks! Word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.