Want some fun brushes for Sketchbook Pro? (6.0 and up)

Discussion in 'Artists' started by balistic, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Hey all,

I've been making a lot of custom brushes for Sketchbook lately, and thought maybe someone else might get some use out of them. Click the image below for a bigger, sharper preview:

BrianPrince_TrickyBrushes_1024.jpg

To download the brushes, click HERE (1.6 megabytes)

The grainy airbrushes don't look like much, but they shade nicer than the default airbrush because of the grain that I've built-in. The edged charcoal brushes have one sharp side and one soft side, depending on the direction of your stroke. They're meant to mimic shading with the edge of a piece of vine charcoal. The spatter brush is great for adding texture. "Manga horror" and "subliminal" were painted using the liquid ink tool in Painter, and are nice for high contrast background effects. "Fuzzy" is great for adding edge lighting to trees and bushes. "Ocean ripples" makes painting water super easy.

All you need to do to install them is open up your brush shelf in SBP, click the little ring of dots in any subgroup of brushes, then swipe through the "import" option. Don't unzip the file first, Sketchbook will do it for you.

Let me know if you find them useful. I'm thinking of doing another set more focused on sketching.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    pictogramax and stoneseeker like this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

*HUG*

I never see Sketchbook Pro brushes shared among artists. Seems it never gets nearly as much love as Photoshop. Thanks for these!
    I'll try them out when I get a chance

balistic likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

There's also the official Sketchbook Pro Blog. There are sometimes articles written that have a set of custom brushes attached to download.

Here's a recent one, which I've not tried out-- about storyboarding on the Archer TV show

There's also this older one, from Kyle Runciman, with a custom set at the bottom. There's a pencil in there that I love and use all the time- one side comes off hard edged, and the other textured. Feels very real and responsive. I love sketching with it.

I wish people would share more SBP brushes. I love the program, but it doesn't have that avid user base of people the way some other programs do. Or perhaps they're all just actually __using__ it for professional work, and so don't have the time to load their brushes everywhere like Sai, Artrage, PS and Painter users do? I dunno. It's a real missed opportunity to me.

If others have got brush sets, please share 'em!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. balistic

balistic wacom jock

The Facebook group for Sketchbook is pretty active, but it's dominated by people doing finger doodles with the iOS and Android versions. Occasionally some cool stuff surfaces though.

Can't speak to anything specific, but I'm beta testing version 7 and it's got some really interesting new features that will hopefully encourage more professional interest in the desktop version.

The development team is *quite* active.

5. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I love drawing in Sketchbook Pro. I was starting to wonder when version 7 would be hitting. I guess pretty soon then. And nice brushes!

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Forgot to ever try these, I wonder if we could ever port them to the new Android Pro version? I like using it for just drawing instead of the T902 since there is little advantage in more power for just sketching around, beyond of course using your cool splatter brushes.

7. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Unfortunately I don't have access to any Android devices to test with, but if somebody else wants to try to port them over, it's all cool with me.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

The brushes in the Android version are hard coded to the app; the brushes are not separate files you have access to in the device. And because there is no option to create your own brushes in SB Android, I don't see importing these brushes possible anytime soon. I can't believe Autodesk just don't get it! Corel allows you to mock up a custom brush, why couldn't autodesk do it in the latest review

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk