Wannabe-tablet-guy with some questions...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob1116, Jun 25, 2006.

1. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello all... been lurking for long enough, time to post :)

I will be buying a new notebook/(possibly)tablet within a month or so - I will be starting at the University of Toronto this september (sciences).

Up until I stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago, I was dead-set on the new Dell XPS1210. Though this will be my first notebook ever, I am a computer enthusiast, so performance is important to me (even if I won't be using it in a notebook). I wanted, exactly, a 12" Core Duo, with dedicated graphics, optical drive, and by all other means, fully-loaded - the XPS 1210 was a dream come true!

But then I find you people :rolleyes: ; all smug and content, scribbling away on your screen, as I mash keys in Equation Editor for 10mins just to get one formula down... and I thought, hmm... me too?

Anywho, I'm here, and in love with the idea of a tablet - but heartbroken over the (understandably) missing dedicated graphics; but I'm pretty sure I can't buy just a regular notebook now, so tablet it is.

Couple of questions (silly ones!): (There are no retailers around here that carry floor models of tablets, so I can't even go poke one)

1. When switching modes, (from notebook to tablet mode) does the screen still display, or does it switch off until it's locked in one mode or the other? Maybe this is model specific - in that case, I am leaning heavily toward the Fujitsu T4210 (Note to the Fujitsu peeps: I would pay a ridiculous amount for the option of the hybrid GF_Go 7400 graphics system... and wth, no firewire?).

2. Do all convertibles allow you to write on the screen when they are in notebook mode? (I can't see why not, but I have to ask)

3. With a 'penabled' (proper use of 'lingo'?) tablet, can I purchase a better, more feature-filled pen from wacom and use it on my tablet? Also, will it fit into the pen-holder on the tablet? (ya I know it's dumb, but I'm a tech guy and this kinda crap is important to me... this is as much a toy as it is a tool)

4. How useful is the tablet for actual note taking? I mean, I can type a lot faster than I can write, so I will be using the keyboard when there is a lot of text... but is it functional as a writing pad for things like chemistry/math/physics where there is a lot of finicky symbols and equations? Is there a frustrating amount of lag between pen input and the appearance of 'ink' on the screen? Is the pen accurate enough to write small and fast, or do you end up having to write big and loopy and thus run out of screen space quickly?

Thank you in advance for your help... I can't wait to play with one! Unfortunately, I know I'm going to have to buy one online without ever having seen it in person... very frustrating for someone to whom aesthetic quality is important (second to performance for sure, but important nonetheless). I just hope the upcoming review is thorough, which I'm sure it will be. Anyone know when it will be posted?

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. the screen switches off for a split second at a certain point as you make the final transition to tablet from notebooks

2. I don't see why not

3. you can get a different pen but it may not fit in the pen holder

4. even if you can type faster than you can write the ability to quickly draw a picture or a note somewhere you can't type is very convenient.

3. rob1116

ic... so it can obvioulsy be switched hot right? The display can be switched to portrait orientation right?

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As has been posted by Barry in the topic " First Look - Fujitsu LifeBook T4210 Tablet PC with Core Duo (pics, specs)".
    As you can see from the picture below, there are indeed various keys that will allow you to rotate the screen to your choice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. rob1116

Umm.. alright, I apologize for asking an (apparently) obvious question.

I have never owned a laptop and have never used a tablet; I have no idea what those buttons are, though I can now guess that the centre button toggles between landscape and portrait.

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing to apologise for Rob.
    I was merely pointing out to you it had been mentioned before.
    No one expects you to have a complete understanding of the forum :)