Wallpaper Gyro not available. Other link?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pizzaman, Aug 13, 2006.

1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this SHuisman.
    I'll give it a go later tonight :)

2. SHuisman

SHuisman Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated my software, a new tray code, the other one had some problems; sometimes the taskbar's menu didn't popup anymore! Hopefully this has been fixed now! Version 0.2.0 is available here!
    I also included a ocx file, for some of those people who need it! (This ocx file is needed for the commondialog object; to show the 'Open File...'-dialog)

@P8RSON
    Please try out version 0.2.0! If you downloaded 'wallpaper.exe' it is version 0.1.0. (aka the old one)
    Thanks for trying out!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

SHuisman you have gone WAY beyond the call of duty on this one! And Mike (P8RSON) your willingness to contact the author is exceptionally kind. Many Thanks!

Barry

4. SHuisman

i was already planning to make this software, he (topicstarter) just initiated me. :p thanks for all the kind words.

5. P8RSON

Just to keep everyone abreast.
    I sent off a message almost immediately after replying to SHuisman's message.
    The contents of the email sent reads:-
    Tue, 15 Aug 2006 03:58:29 +0100 (BST)

Dear JumpingMINDS,
    My apologies in contacting you today.

The reason I am writing to you today is in response to a thread which was started a couple of days ago by one of our members seeking information to the program 'Wallpaper Gyro'.
    After initial searches, we have now found that all links to this program have been removed in entirety from the web.

We then requested our members to seek whom used to develop WG, where I have been informed JumpingMINDS have a connection with the program.

Therefore, may I respectfully request if someone within your team provide me with any information purporting to the said program.

With this information, I can get back to our members and keep them informed.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. P8RSON

It works and works exceptional well .

Nice one SHuisman :)

Edited: ohh I do love this little software......
    Sometimes it's the simple things that make so much difference

I do believe I'm in love with this software

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. wjm0139

wjm0139 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish I found this thread about an hour ago :) I wanted to be able to do this on my Tecra M4 and after I couldn't find Wallpaper Gyro anywhere I ended up writing my own little utility as well. Oh well it only took about an hour.

Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.m-networks.net/wpchanger.zip

The app requires the .NET 2.0 framework to run. I didn't bother to create an installer or readme, but it should be pretty self explanitory.

Just extract the zip to the folder of your choosing, then double-click wpChanger.exe, an icon will appear in the system tray either double-click the icon, or right click and select open to view the confiduration window.

There is only one tiny bug (with a simple fix). The default setting for "Start with Windows" is set to True, but since I didn't write an installer the registry entry isn't initially created. Just uncheck the box and click OK then open the config window back up and re-check the box so that the registry entry can be created.

I have only tested this on my Tecra M4 with Win XP Tablet Edition. So please let me know how this works for you guys.

Bill

8. SHuisman

What do you think about the icon ? (i think it's quite nice, could be improved)
    Did you need the extra OCX file ?
    Glad you like it!
    Any extra thoughts, improvements ?

"I breathe a sigh of relief when I know it looks right and people are going to dig it"

@wjm0139
    Nice piece of software, the interface is nice! (especially the menu) That being said; what language is it written in, or what modules, dll's etc. are used?
    And i was wondering why it takes up to 26 MB ram? That's quite large!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. wjm0139

wjm0139 Pen Pal - Newbie

@SHuisman
    Thanks for the comments. It's written in VB.NET (which explains the 26MB of RAM - .NET overhead). I could have written it in native code but with .NET I was able to pump it out in under an hour. The app only uses 1 win32 API call "SystemParametersInfo" which actually sets the wallpaper, everthing else is managed code. The only other thing is a WndProc Override to listen for the WM_DISPLAYCHANGE message.

I like the images you put next to the textboxes in your app to distinguish portrait vs landscape. I see you also implemented the ability to set tile, center, stretch (mine always sets it to stretch for now - I got lazy :) )

Bill

10. SHuisman

The images are stolen somewhere from a windows dialog, just added to spice things up! thx for the info ;)