Wallpaper Gyro not available. Other link?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pizzaman, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I just purchase a Gateway M285SB-E Tablet PC and wanted to set a different wallpaper depending on if my orientation was portrait or landscape (and avoid that hideous stretching or need for an enormous original tiled paper). I found a utility called Wallpaper Gyro, but the original link:

http://www.whatisnew.com/software/WallpaperGyroSetup.exe

...is dead.

The main site that links to it is this, which lists no alt. link:

Every internet site linking to the program links to this location. As far as I can tell, there's no legal reason why it disappeared. It just seems to be gone, and there aren't any alternative links to download it from.

Can someone send me the program through my forum ID or link me somewhere where it's hosted? Or is there a different program that allows you to set a different background for each orientation (and automatically switches it when you switch orientations)?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Indeed all links are removed.....

You may also want to read this thread from within tabletpcreviewspot.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also looked everywhere. It is as if the app. has vaporized.

4. SHuisman

SHuisman Pen Pal - Newbie

I was searching all night as wel for Wallpaper Gyro, all links are death. I think we just have to hope that someone has the install file on his tablet, and willing to upload.

5. P8RSON

Can anyone provide a name for the author (hopefully with an address).
    I'll contact them if provided.

6. SHuisman

I thinking about programming my own little program, when finished I'll share it with you ofcourse!
    I need to find out nine things:
    1. How to change the background dynamically
    2. How to change the setting 'stretch' , 'centre' and 'tile'
    3. How to minimize an application to an icon, placed to the lower-right (tasktray);-)
    4. How to pick up a orientation-change
    5. How to determine whether it is actually in portrait or landscape (if height>width then portrait, else landscape???)
    6. Save settings to a file
    7. Startup when windows starts up
    8. Open file... Dialog
    9. an icon!

FYI: I'm programming in VB6

Update I:
    Finished 4

Update II:
    Finished 5 (The orientation-change provides us with a number; 58983840 in my case, this LOOKS like a strange number, but; when divided with 65536 it gives us 900, and the remainder is 1440. (58983840/65536=900 with 1440 remaining)) 1440 by 900 is my resolution :)

Update III:
    I think I found the stretch,tile and center registry-location, i believe it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\TileWallpaper and ....\WallpaperStyle

Update IV:
    Finished 1
    Finished 2
    Finished 8

Update V:
    I realized that windows can only set his wallpaper to a bmp file! If it is a jpeg,png gif or else. it will make the bmp itself and save it to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp The solution to this problem is quite easy, when selecting a file for landscape or portrait it will make a bmp file in the program directory named either landscape.bmp or portrait.bmp

Update VI:
    It changes the background when screen orientation changes; saves and loads settings to an ini-file. Now i'm starting to make it less crashable (aka when you accidently give a non-valid picture, or non-existing file).
    Finished 6

Update VII:
    Finished 3
    Finished 9
    +added some pictures, and cleaned the code a bit

Update VIII:
    Finished 7
    I now try to remove bugs, add some stability, and hopefully tomorrow will be the first release!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. Pizzaman

Yikes! I wish every question I asked in a forum resulted in custom software being instantly written to do what I was asking about!

Seriously, thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it--sounds like it will work just great.

(That said, if anyone has any info on the original Wallpaper Gyro, I'm still just curious what happened to it and would love to have it around just in case if anyone wants to mirror it... :confused: )

8. Pizzaman

The developers appear to be Jumping Minds. There doesn't seem to be a mention on their website at all for the Gyro, but there are some emails here:

http://www.jumpingminds.com/company.htm

Any help?

9. P8RSON

BRILLIANT... thanks.

I'll send off an email later today :)

10. SHuisman

I finished my little program today, and posted it on my website: TabletPC Wallpaper Changer

[​IMG]

Hope you like it!, please give feedback, so i can improve it.
    I only tested it on one tabletpc, since i only own 1 ;) .

i know there is some error with the tray icon, (or it is just (my) human error!) but i don't know exactly when it occurs.
    If someone has a idea, hint, tips and/or improvements, feel free to email me, or 'msn' me @:
    [​IMG]

P.S.: The software is no installer to keep it small (56 KB!), settings.ini, landscape.bmp and portrait.bmp will be saved in the same folder!