Waking Slate up w/o power switch?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Flaco05, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry if this is a silly question (or if it had been addressed elsewhere), but here goes. Is there any way to wake the Slate up from sleeping w/o using the power switch? My Slate has been out for repair for a loose power switch once already, and this seems to be a common problem with this machine (power switch becoming loose over time). So my question is, to avoid wear and tear on the switch, is it possible to wake the Slate up in a different way? Touching the screen, pushing the home, CTRL-ALT-DEL, or any of the other physical buttons does not seem to work. Is there anything that can be done? Change some kind of setting perhaps?

Thank you.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is it possible to wake the Slate up in a different way?..>>

Flaco: There is this:

Wake-on-LAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...but I don't know if you'd want to go to this kind of trouble. (You'd also need and ethernet-to-USB adapter at a minimum)...

3. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

If you use a USB adapter, be prepared to find out that WOL isn't even working this way :D

I don't have the details of the HP Slates at hand, but unless HP itself features a USB-LAN adapter I'd be surprised if it works with WOL. If the Slate has a built in Ethernet device that just gets connected to a jack by its dock it should work, though.

4. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Would it wake up if hooked (or bluetoothed) to an external keyboard, and then hitting enter on the keyboard? This is how my work desktop wakes up.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This is how my work desktop wakes up...>>

...That might work, if you simply wanted to wake your tablet from Sleep mode. I've never tried it...!

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd suspect that the Bluetooth radio is off during sleep. Bluetooth keyboards like the Logitech DiNovo or similar ones usually intercept keystrokes with their own receivers and then send USB commands.

But a wired USB keyboard could work indeed.

Another option would be to find out if the Slate supports Wake on WLAN. To enable this in Windows you need to tweak some settings and you, of course, need another device that issues the wake command. Would be better than traditional WOL, though ;)

7. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can now confirm that hitting enter on an external wireless (USB) keyboard awakes the slate.