waiting forever for the browser to load... etc

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by gotapex, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotapex

gotapex Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone have to wait for the browser to finish loading before you can scroll down? is there something i need to change so that i can change so that the browser works faster?

i've used opera, safari, chrome, and have stuck with internet explorer just because, like others have found, it just seems to work better with touch.

it really is my only complaint with the slate. and if there's any kind of script (flash or otherwise) running or loading, it's literally a minute before i'll be able to scroll past the 'fold.'

and before anyone suggests virus, this is on a fresh install straight from hp. any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated...

btw, hp warranty service kicks @$$.

2. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

The behavior you explained is standard. Mine does it, so does every other Windows machine I have used.

Have you tried Opera Mobile? I think it is a viable alternative if you don't need flash. It is fast and responsive but limited in capability. You can get it here:
    http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions/
    Pick Opera Mobile 11 (Windows 7) from the list.

3. gotapex

gotapex Pen Pal - Newbie

umm, what? :)

none of my other windows machine does it. i can scroll while it's still loading gallery websites that have over 200 pictures to load plus flash ads. only the slate can't seem to do it, fast connection or not.

i even just tested your explanation using one of my 3g mobile broadband that lags (we're talking old 33.6-56k modem days) in my area when loading one of msnbc's galleries, or the f1 galleries.

as soon as the scroll bar appears, i can begin scrolling down while the pictures are loading, ads are loading, etc. - even following the gallery images as they load, scrolling down as they appear. this is on my laptops and desktops.

and i just tested it on both chrome and ie 8.

any other ideas?

4. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

5. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

To be fair, IE9 on the slate does scroll while it still loads pictures. Try it on a slow connection.

On my 2.2ghz core 2 duo machine, IE9 pages hang for a moment after they are displayed. Depending on the webpage, smooth scrolling is not achieved until up to 3 seconds after it displays the first part of the page. Try it on Engadget . Engadget is a notoriously slow website and the effect is noticeable there.

Once loaded, the scrolling is quite smooth with HW acceleration on and a bit jerky with it turned off (on the c2d machine).

I believe (and hope) that scrolling itself could be smoother on the slate if it were hardware accelerated. I am not expecting it to improve much, though, because even on my 2.2ghz machine with an nVidia 8600 graphics card, scrolling in IE9 is about 10fps at best (on the MSNBC website).

I think the difference in page load times on my machines--from click to smoothly scrolling page--can be attributed almost entirely to a difference in processor performance.

This is the one area where I feel Chrome has a significant edge over IE. Too bad it doesn't take advantage of the Windows touch controls.

EDIT: MSNBC scrolls buttery smooth in Opera Mobile 11 on the slate.

6. gotapex

gotapex Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry i've been mia.

chrome is definitely better than ie in some aspects,... unfortunately, my eraser top fingers just don't push the buttons all that well in chrome. :p

thanks for the replies,... i'm actually wondering if it's b/c i've turned OFF all of the aero theme and other goodies since i'm trying to really extend the battery life of my slate whenever i'm and about (like the last week).

and also to be fair,.. when i really started checking,... i have noticed that engadget bogs the browser regardless of which one i'm using. while other tech sites don't. can someone check engadget.com and see if you have to wait for everything to load before scrolling?

7. acerbic

acerbic Scribbler - Standard Member

UN has classified the engadget.com site design a Crime Against Humanity. It should not be used to test the performance of anything. :rolleyes:

8. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

I can scroll Engadget before everything loads (and from the notifications it looks like they're pulling in stuff from all over the web). It's choppy and laggy in Firefox 7.0.1 but it does scroll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.