Wait for Santa Rosa?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by makryger, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoBucks

GoBucks Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally convinced Lenovo to give me a refund for my X60, and I am willing to give the tablet a second shot. As an engineering student, Santa Rosa sounds like it actually is going to have some realistic benefits (in comparison to some of the other platforms released in the past) with a bigger front side bus, new graphics chipset (some of the reviews I have seen make it seem like this is going to be infinitely better than the 950), and faster program load/boot time. I do a lot of work in Matlab, and the processor improvements of the last few platforms really aren't that noticeable when all is said and done, but some of these improvements seem like they may have a tangible impact. Having said that, I have three questions:

1) Does anyone out there agree/disagree that there is going to be a drastic improvement (i.e. is it really worth the wait)?

2) If anyone thinks there will be major improvements, can they please provide some specific reasons why as opposed to the generalities I listed above which were pretty much straight from the info Intel has released.

3) I know the answer to this one is, "not sure" or "hopefully sometime soon", but does anyone possibly know when we will see tablets with Santa Rosa (any insider information we haven't heard yet)?

Thanks

2. koss

koss Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's my take:
    1) I believe it's worth the wait for me. I'm big on the new graphics for Vista with DirectX 10 support!
    2) Centrino was first introduced in 2003. It's first real upgrade to existing Centrino in 4 years. My rule on upgrading is wait out for the big jumps and ignore small jumps in technology updates.
    3) It could be a loooong wait. Santa Rosa is expected to be released sometime around April-May. The new Intel L7200/7400 was released on Feburary and we just saw a first tablet (slate) using the processor. The track record is that after 3-4 months of new technology released, tablet PC manufacturers begin adopting the technology. So this means it could be anywhere between coming August-October, I believe.

Hey.. it's getting really close to release!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

1. Yes it will DEFINITELY be worth the wait if you do infact wait. A couple of reasons are:
    ---Embedded Ram ( 512 or 1 Gb) that can/will make programs as well as the operating system open in half the time or faster.
    ---Increased fsb (an increase to 800) which will increase the speed and put it on par with desktop cpus ( minus the voltage requirements)
    --- Wireless N. Do I need to say more? The Santa Rosa platform will all have the latest draft version (march 30) under the centrino label.

I would not worry about the wait. Intel has already started manufacturing these processors because the one thing they were worried about got fixed ( wireless n). Intel as quoted as saying they will be putting these chips into machines for retail by the end of this month.

I was dead set on purchasing the TX1000 from HP but I'd rather be without a computer in general for the next month or so then kick myself when Santa Rosa is released. (I have a sneaky suspicion the TX1000T tablet will be released with this technology) - After all every HP laptop has a Z and a T.

My theory is if you CAN wait then do it, instant gratification isn't what its made out to be and Santa Rosa is going to revolutionize mobile processing.

4. Greg G

Greg G Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan to wait. Wish we had a realistic estimate on how long that will be. I've currently hung up my old tablet (Motion 1300) in favor of a *gasp* Dell Latitude until a decent machine comes out. Oh the pain of taking notes on paper!

-Greg

5. DaytonaZ33

DaytonaZ33 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd wait. The school year is almost over, and unless you're taking Summer Courses, you really wont need the tablet over the summer, so there is no reason not to wait. Even if you wait and Santa Rosa turns out to be too expensive or whatnot for your taste, the Tablets that you could buy now will be much cheaper, because they will be considered the previous generation.

6. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

For the tx1000t, does anyone know if they'll keep the same passive digitizer? Apparently, that sucks for those who would like to take notes (ahem). Any opinions on this? Has anyone tried the tx1000z in terms of writing on it? Many reviews say its a huge pain.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=716
    http://thetabletpc.net/review-hptx1000-article=0402061.htm
    (+ the cnet.com review)

I've also read that 64bit turion x2 could outperform core 2 duos. Is santa rosa still a 58ish bit? (I'm also considering waiting for the tx1000t, but will amd vs core 2 make a difference?)

7. Freeman

Freeman Scribbler - Standard Member

At the moment, AMD is way far behind Intel on mobile CPU. I wouldn't consider it, unless you plan to make your laptop a desktop replacement.

8. makryger

makryger Pen Pal - Newbie

The Passive Digitizer on the TX1000 I find is not as bad as some people make it seem. Just as long as you have a reasonable ammount of pressure, it picks up your writing, about 90-100% as legible as how I usually write. The Passive Digitizer, I can deal with.

What really bugs me about this computer is that the LCD Screen is actually about 1/4 of an inch below the screen you write on. So depending on what angle you're facing the tablet (On a table, in your arm, etc.), it appears that the pen is putting pressure on a different part of the screen. Vista has a calibration function, and it looks like there is a way to calibrate more than one setup, but I have not figured out how to use it yet. So the tough part for me is writing in one position, and having the text appear 1/2 cm below where I am writing. Tough for filling in boxes!

I agree, waiting for the intel chip is a good idea. The exhaust port of the tx1000z runs really hot. Hopefully, intel's chip will be more efficient. Haven't done battery tests yet, but the intel chip should make it last longer too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.