wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exwhyzed

exwhyzed Pen Pal - Newbie

1. It seems that Intel RST will not let go of my SSD drive!
    And to get it to let go...

"Going into the Intel RST screen at boot (via CTRL-I) I was able to select OPtion 4 "Set disks to non-RAID) and change the SSD drive from a disabled RAID0 caching volume to a non-RAID device. Meanwhile, I left the BIOS setting for my motherboard set to RAID for SATA devices. After this, I was able to boot up, go into the Intel RST software and see that it no longer viewed the SSD drive as in use on an unusable volume."

2. Apparently there is a different between Intel RSTe drivers, and Intel RST drivers
    Post #6 here says

"Ran into the same issue as well- Intel RSTe 3.2.xx drivers are a joke. You need to head into the Device Manager after uninstalling the RSTe software and manually remove the driver from your computer (check the box that says 'Delete the driver software for this device').
    Restart your computer.
    If you want the most out of your storage devices- download the 11.6.xx RST (non 'e') drivers from the Intel site and install them manually. It should come in a zip file with no installer/additional rubbish.
    Head into the Device Manager, find the default Microsoft AHCI controller (under IDE/ATAPI controllers), then select 'update device driver' and point Windows at the directory you've unzipped the drivers to.Alternatively, you can use the RSTe 3.1.xx drivers (available on Intel website as well)- however these do not support S.M.A.R.T. monitoring from within the OS."

Post #8
    Best way to remove RST drivers and revert to the MSAHCI ones is as simple as this.

"Reboot and hit F8 before Windows screen loads up, boot into Safe Mode.
    When in Safe Mode, uninstall the RST drivers and then reboot. Load Windows normally and from there it should restore to using the MSAHCI drivers"

Quick note, it looks like as if intel RST and similar programs are a MUST, to get the 555mbs read / 545mbs write speeds out of that blazing fast SSD that was purchased. If it is uninstalled, SSD's will still perform really fast, but perhaps not as blazing fast. However, the tradeoff of could be no more system lag. In the above, it does mention that it could be a good idea to drop RSTe 3.2.xx and install RSTe 3.1.xx or just 11.6.xx RST (non 'e') drivers.

In a windows install, the catch up lag could be occurring right off the "get go" due to one's single SSD drive set up as a RAID in the bios, so I think it might be interesting to give these ideas, though a bit more risky, a try.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. exwhyzed

more Findings, but directly related to iastor.sys, usbport.sys and the lag they cause

1. Post #22 in here says the user updated Intel Drivers and Bios, lag remained, user disabled Wifi and lag was gone.

2. Post #14 here has someone advising a user to uninstall IRST completely and provides this link to do so. The user said they had some type of success with this.

3. Post #5 here says:

I just determined the problem: this device.
    Intel(R) 6 series /C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26

after I disabled this device, there are no spikes. but when I enabled it again, CPU starts to go between 40 and 80. and on idle, my cpu never goes down the minimum.

but still, disabling this device will cause all my USB2.0 to be non-functional.

So turning off the USB port shared by the Bluetooth/Wacom device will probably stop the spike, but will also stop the Wacom device from working. It might just be that the problem is with Intel's chipset drivers and they need to be updated, or perhaps a new version needs to come out to solve the problem.

4. The last 4 posts here are informative, some snippets are:

"That process (iastor.sys) couldn't run up if you had only the Intel storage driver installed and not the software package which accompanies it."

"Roll back the driver (follow exacly the comment in the link above) is a way to solve that problem ."

"msahci is Windows AHCI driver. iaStor is Intel's AHCI driver. Both will work fine. If you want to use iaStor you have to install Intel Rapid Storage Tehnology program (IRST). If you do not use raid but want to use iaStor, install IRST which will give you iaStor, then go to services.msc and find IRST, right click it and select properties, in the center will be a dropdown menu that probably says Automatic(delayed). Click that, select disabled from the drop down menu then click apply. That way the IRST will not run but you can have use of iaStor as an AHCI driver. Or, you can use MSAHCI which works pretty well."

5. This post says it could be that 2 sets of USB drivers are installed, and conflicting:
    "I have had one Windows user who noted that the USB drivers were a bit messy and this worked for him.

I went to device manager and looked at all the USB drivers that were there, I noticed that there were intel drivers and the stand Generic USB drivers. When I saw both it was a little puzzling at first. I thought that this could be a potential issue. Uninstalled all USB devices, including the intel drivers. Restarted, let windows install the generic USB drivers again. Run serato and Video SL, plug in box. Play a video.... Im now 30 mins in and still going strong. I will leave it for another couple of hours just to make sure.

There is a known Microsoft issue with regards to USB drivers (not related to my Video SL), however this is fixed in a windows update. So make sure windows is fully up to date before uninstalling and restarting computer. "

6. This post points to the culprit not being found, but a Windows reinstall and update of Intel RST and chipset drivers worked.

7. Dell had a patch for iastor.sys for this user, and it seemed to have worked.

8. Solved for a Sony S series user by:
    "i have uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which has removed the GUI (and that annoying icon in the taskbar), and have installed just the driver, f6flpy-x64.zip, through Device Manager > Storage Controller > Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller. make sure you install the correct RAID or AHCI driver depending on your own configuration."

Is there a driver ONLY version of Intel RST, for the Fujitsu, that can be used to fix things?

Once again, good luck all! At least we now know that others are having these same issues, and have found iastor.sys, usbport.sys, Intel RST, and Intel chipset drivers to be the issue. If Fujitsu doesn't yet have a fix for iastor.sys, like Dell did, users should put some pressure on them. And perhaps Intel needs a knock on their door as well!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for digging all of this up; I'll see if I can go through these steps tomorrow and report my findings.

4. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

Sorry about that. I didn't notice that the right click function is disabled since I always use press and hold to perform right clicks, and my pen buttons are mapped to key presses. Terribly sorry.

5. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

No worries, anything we can rule out helps narrow things down :)

6. exwhyzed

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Excellent suggestion.
    C'mon guys! Let's barrage them with some system interrupts!! ha
    They will respond to numbers.

Here is what I wrote them:

"Hi there,

For some reason unique to the Fujitsu T902, the wacom pen digitizer is experiencing a frequent 'lag' or 'glitch' brought on by what seems like a barrage of system interrupts from the usbport.sys when simply using the pen.

I bought the expensive ($2600 new) T902 specifically for it's pen (and the fact that it is powerful and has a large screen) and use the T902 to do professional graphics work for my business 8-10 hours a day, so it is incredibly important that at the very least, the pen works as intended.

Fujitsu has a very good reputation among professionals, and not surprisingly, among a growing number of animators, illustrators, drafters, and graphics artists who need the pen function in a portable fashion that you provide. This pen problem can seriously hamper productivity and is frustrating to say the least.

This is what is happening specifically: When drawing or navigating the screen with the digitizer pen, the cursor will randomly and sometimes frequently shoot off to another part of the screen for a split second, then come running back to the pen tip often retracing the last action (even more so when there has been a consistent but reasonable draw on resources for a while). It looks like sudden lag, but it is very different from a slow system consistent lag. It is a very obvious 'hiccup' that happens, and completely stops what you are doing while you wait for the glitch to run its course. It happens in any program, while browsing or writing, etc.

Every T902 user I have ever met online (I am an active senior member of tabletPCreview.com and have met at least 30 or more T902 users across the globe) has this issue arise while using the pen regardless of whether they are using windows 7 or 8. (it should be noted that the glitch does NOT occur in windows XP) We have coined it the "T902 pen cursor glitch" or similar terms. A useful thread that documents our glitch more thoroughly and our efforts at nailing down what is causing interference with the pen driver is found here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/53330-wacoms-newest-tabletpc-driver-issues.html#post293413 The title of the thread is misleading, as we discover later that it is not, in fact, the wacom driver at all, but even with the wacom driver uninstalled and a fresh windows installation the pen cursor glitch still occurs. It would be more useful to skip ahead to the last 5 pages where more progress was made and a better understanding of what we are dealing with is evident.

I hope Fujitsu will be able to resolve this serious flaw with an otherwise GREAT system so that we can continue to promote your machines to professionals in our industry. You may contact me regarding specifics of this error, and also can follow our effort to narrow down the cause of the problem in the thread linked above.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from your technical support team soon!

I can also be reached at ______

Sincerely, Luke Buxton."

my ref # : 130629-000000

8. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still in touch with the Fujitsu Hong Kong representative. We are trying to reach out to the Japan Wacom driver team at the moment.

Also, while thinking up of more troubleshooting ideas, I decided to see what could make the lag happen even more often. If I connected a secondary display, had some windows open on that (one playing a video), and drew on the T902, I could get the lag every 5-10 seconds! My tactic is to make the scenario as worse as possible, so that the glitch cannot be ignored. It is a real problem that doesn't just happen 0.1% of the time.

Incidentally, like what stoneseeker found out, my Cintiq and Intuos tablets have no problem whatsoever when plugged into the T902.

9. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, this is unfortunate. I was about to put my 12wx away until I started running into these pen "lag" issues. It's annoying how I'll be setting down a line only to have to wait while I watch the line repeat the same stroke. Not only that, but while I'm typing using the stylus (since I've disabled touch), occasionally there will be a hiccup and it'll type in the last few letters I just typed again once the hiccup passes. It's happened a lot more recently, which is terrible, because I just resolved another "lag" issue thanks to the help of forum members. But as was mentioned previously, it's ridiculous to expect users to solve these issues when we're essentially disabling every single service just to get one aspect functioning correctly.

Personally, I went with as many minimal driver installations as I could that still provided bare functionality. Only have Master Collection installed with Chrome and well, seems like 16GB RAM, core-i7 and an SSD don't do much to solve this problem.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I wonder if some machines have this issue worse than others ??... How often do you have this issue happen? I admit I've got a LOT of crap installed on my T902. I'm already running out of room on a 512gig SSD!! There are tons of art programs, games, and myriads of other applications installed on here. I got rid of any useless Intel and Fujitsu bloat that I couldn't see making a direct benefit to the system, but it's certainly not hindering my uses or anything. I install anything and use anything I want, and it hasn't made my experience worse.

On average when working in say Photoshop, I get the issue about once every 20 minutes now. Sometimes I can go a whole hour with it happening only once. I've never seen the hiccup effect anything else other than pen. All I'm saying is, I don't even notice it anymore. Its rare and quick. If this is effecting your systems to the point that its a deal-breaker, there is clearly something I have done to my system that has made it better. I wonder if we should post our device manager or startup items to find the culprit that I deleted to make it so tolerable?

a thought: I use CCleaner once in a while to clean out the registry. Also, use disk cleaner to regularly toss out several gigs of files that somehow accumulate in "temporary items".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.