wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

The camera is on a different hub. If you go to Device Manager -- View -- Devices by connection, you'll get a hierarchical list of the devices and the hubs they're on.

The Wacom board, Bluetooth module, and the rear USB 2.0 port are on one hub. The camera, fingerprint sensor, smartcard reader, and security panel buttons are on another.

I'll try disabling a lot of this unnecessary hardware in the BIOS, so Windows doesn't have to deal with them. Will post an update after testing things out.

2. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to replicate the latency results with the USB driver using latency monitor. When I'm drawing with the pen it throws over a thousand Deferred Procedure Calls and Interrupt Service Routines a second. The results weren't all that different whether I had my hand on the screen or not.

The second biggest source of them is the intel fast storage driver, but that one wasn't even half of what the USB was putting out. I expect a lot of hard drive activity with Photoshop because of how aggressively it uses scratch disks.

So I think the touch screen, even when disabled, may add a little overhead to the system, but with the tablet PC service on or off I still got the same intermittent brush lag. I think with the service off it just eases up a little, the same as shutting down anything extra that might tax the USB. I did still get the cursor lag even with my hand off of the screen, although it took a lot longer to show up.

I disabled almost everything in bios that I didn't need and still got the issue. I also was able to get the cursor lag outside of photoshop, the same as jan_c.

There may be several problems here, but it seems like the USB is the best place to start.

The T902 uses an intel QM77 chipset, but I haven't been able to find any driver variations for it yet.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

are there alternative drivers for the USB port that the pen is on? Also, out of curiosity, are you using the new firmware that Fujitsu released a while back for the T902 digitizer? I'm curious to know if that would have any effect on the ISR's and DPC's.

I'm glad Fujitsu is aware of the issue.

4. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

If there are alternate drivers, I haven't been able to find them yet. The QM77 chipset isn't very old, and I don't know that the intel chipset is the root of the problem. I can't find any other complaints about USB performance with this chipset or any of its predecessors, so it may be something else with the fujitsu drivers.

I think I'm using the most recent Wacom drivers right now, not the fujitsu ones. I've tried a bunch of different releases and versions from both Fujitsu and Wacom, and I get the same results with all of them.

ETA: Oops, typed before fully reading. I'm using the Wacom drivers, but I have the most recent firmware from fujitsu for the tablet.

5. exwhyzed

exwhyzed Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I've been doing some investigating on usbport.sys online and it seems that it is a big problem with latency and cpu spiking, it can cause an issue with audio being choppy intermittently, and in this case of the stylus cursor doing something similar. What is not common is a universal solution.
    How to Diagnose and Fix High DPC Latency Issues with WPA (Windows Vista/7/8) - Sysnative Forums

Here are some findings that may lead someone to the solution.

1. One person had the issue, turned computer (full size, not laptop) off, disconnected power from CD/DVD drive (that was connected by internal USB), rebooted computer, problem solved. This process did not work by disconnecting the drive while the computer was on. The computer had to be rebooted and detect that the drive was not present. I think the procedure was to disconnect all USB devices at once, and reintroduce each one, one by one, to find out which one was causing the problem.
    If it turns out that the internal Bluetooth is the problem, you'd have to pull it out! The dual digitizing screen may also be connected to the USB hub, but i don't think it has a normal usb connection, it may be a long thin "more than 4 pin" connector, some pins for the capacitive layer, and other pins for the pen layer. If this is set up to be 2 usb connections, even though it is one connection to the motherboard, perhaps a way can be found to disable the USB that is connected to the capacitive layer of the screen using device manager?

2. the enemy: usbport.sys - Page 2 - Tech Support Guy Forums Downloading and overwriting usbport.sys with a newer version could solve the problem (make sure you backup the old one though!).

3. Uninstall all USB drivers via Device Manager, reboot, and have windows detect that not drivers are installed and reinstall them.

4. There is a hotfix for Windows 7 and usbport.sys USB spiking, but i think it is geared towards audio.

5. the enemy: usbport.sys - Page 4 - Tech Support Guy Forums
    post #52 shows that one user claims that he booted Win XP from a cd (full size computer), and experienced the same issues. He claimed it was due to a "faulty powersupply which gave out too high voltage and fried a lot of things connected to it (keyboard, mouse, USB devices, etc). I replaced the P/S and it ran fine except that it ran extremely slow because of the above mentioned device driver (usbport.sys).
    The only explanation to this is that the P/S fried the USB controller chip on the motherboard which caused the USBPORT.SYS to run constantly."

Anyhow, I'd say that usbport.sys plays a MAJOR role in this problem. I don't even have a T902 but this lag issue is the one and only thing that is stopping me from buying one. I really want this problem to be resolved and hope I can help out in some way. Good luck!

***UPDATE

I Came across this post which seemed to have solved one person's issue.
    The person used an independently created program that "checks to make sure that you have the correct Windows version and that the fix is necessary. It will apply the fix only if the fix is applicable and necessary, and it will let you know if your system does not require this fix."

There's a link a few posts down, that is for Microsoft's official fix to the problem. Worth a look!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

@exwhyzed Thanks for researching into the issue. I already have the most recent usbport.sys driver (7601), since my copy of Win 7 was installed with the service pack already integrated, so unfortunately this scenario doesn't affect me.

What I'm trying now is to disable components of the Wacom device -- there are 7 of them. If you open up Device Manager, and sort the devices by connection, you'll get this:

[​IMG]

The device order *might* differ on your machine. To get the specific device ID, right-click on it, hit Properties -- Details -- Hardware Ids. Take note of the last 2 digits.

[​IMG]

To retain the pen functionality, keep Ids 02 and 04 enabled. You can disable 01, 03, 05, 06, and 07.

I have not tested it at length yet (since the glitch is frustratingly elusive -- on some days it happens every 30 seconds, tonight it happens every 10 minutes...), but I'll report on any findings. Feel free to give this a try.

Edit: Nope, no improvement :\ My gut feel is that it's still a Wacom driver problem. It's like some race condition that's causing it to re-read the USB ring buffer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey thanks so much for your help! In my research regarding latency and CPU spikes etc, I have stumbled across this stuff before, but haven't had the guts to apply all the said solutions. I just can't risk throwing off my system right now, since I need it for full time work everyday.
    I will say though that the issue isn't so terrible that it's a deal breaker. At least for me. It certainly can be annoying when it happens, but other than the every 10-20 minutes that it happens, it certainly performs faster and more responsive than any other tabletPC out there, bar the X230t with similar specs. This thing is for serious the best digital work tool I have ever purchased (yep, better than my cintiq) so if your on the fence, and this glitch is scaring you off, if you can find a good deal... jump in!
    However, the T903 may resolve these issues... and most likely introduce some of it's own.. There are a lot of Haswell devices coming out too, so maybe its worth the wait. Just letting you know that despite this problem, I don't regret my purchase a bit!

8. exwhyzed

@ jan_c

edit: You're welcome jan_c! Whoa you really delved into things, I had my fingers crossed too! Even though it didn't work out, this whole thread is giving other people ideas as well. Everyone has such a diverse computer usage background, and eventually someone is going to read through the troubleshooting efforts listed here, rule out those options, and come up with a solution. Hopefully it will be Fujitsu lol!

@ stoneseeker

edit: You're welcome stoneseeker! I also would not have the guts to go through all these steps. When I was younger, I wrecked my home PC's so many times, I've grown weary of reformatting and starting things all over, each time a tweak goes wrong. And if I was doing professional work, I wouldn't think of destabilizing my system (not until the work was done of course, lol!).
    Hmmm i'm going to keep my eyes open for Fujitsu's and see where it leads.

With regards to another program for screen rotation, I came across Magick Rotation, but it seems as if its for Ubuntu and not compatible with Windows.

9. exwhyzed

Some more troubleshooting findings...

1. Intel smart response technology for caching disks may be the issue, it was for this person, and the stopping of its usage seemed to solve the issue. Also, in the http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/57164-windows-7-64-bit-clean-install-t902.html post, there is something that reads Intel Smart Response (Fujitsu incorrectly named this Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology -- for mSATA SSD cache only) and it is listed as a required driver, which it most likely is. So I'm not sure how one would go around disabling it. OR if an alternative [Dataplex is one such alternative] would have to be used right at the beginning, when doing a clean install of Windows. I wonder if even though a person is not using an mSATA card, Intel Smart Response/Intel Rapid Start Techology is still being used and tying up the system somehow? Again, I can't try it myself as I don't have a laptop/tablet of any kind (as yet...!).

Do I really need Intel Rapid Storage Technology? comments on IRS Technology, and the thread mentions:
    "I noticed something strange today - idle temperature of processor was 55-57C and saw at resource monitor that Intel Rapid Storage is using 10% of CPU. After deinstallation of IRS now temperature is 45C and don't have such cpu usage as before."

2. Here's another fix that someone used.
    This will need to be translated into art/drawing services, since the user applied the steps to audio production related services.
    Post #24 of this page says:

"after looking into latencymon i found that the huge usbport.sys latency only happens on the first cpu in my system so i just disabled that core for audio services and let them use only the other 3 cores

-go to taskmanager

-then the tab "services"

-search for the entrys "audiosrv" and "audioendpointbuilder" ,

-right-click and "go to process" (i have a german windows but it must be similar)

-then you should be at the "processes" tab with a "svchost" already marked

-now rightclick "set affinity" and uncheck the 1st cpu-core (core0) for both processes

-after that the huge spike goes away "

3. Post #31 here says:

"i got rid of those spikes when disabling the ethernet completely"

4. Uninstall the bluetooth driver, for the device that is sharing the USB hub with the Wacom Device, and disable that device, then reboot to see if it works.

10. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.