wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a T732 and noticed this when I first got the machine. It has been out of my hands for two months and only just got it back last week. I seem to recall an issue with the driver gobbling up ram until I killed the process. I will try it out and let you know if I still have the same issue. I haven't noticed anything since I got it back though.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

And here we thought this whole time it was a T902 problem only.... weird. Somebody's gonna figure this out eventually. Has anyone officially told Fujitsu of the issue yet? We should make them ware in case they aren't already. Someone down the line in tech might be able to modify the driver interfering. the big question is what driver they changed recently that is effecting all the fujitsu machines this way.

3. utopian201

My system: T732 with Windows 8 64 bit from factory. Stock drivers as installed; I haven't uninstalled or upgraded any drivers.

When I mentioned I saw a driver consuming ram and CPU, it would occasionally happen when the computer was booted up and I had just entered the desktop. As I was having wlan problems, I had did a full factory reset several times. I haven't seen it since so that may have 'fixed' the issue.

I just tested it in photoshop and paint. No spikes in cpu usage or ram. I also get pressure in photoshop, so I guess that means I'm using the wacom driver? One thing I noticed though is that the pressure isn't regular; even though I am keeping constant pressure, when I lift the pen off and down again, sometimes the line is interpreted at maximum thickness.

Ever since tidying up my machine and setting it up, I haven't seen the driver consuming all ram and cpu on bootup. I would normally make it go away by killing the driver. I can't remember if it restarted itself again, but I didn't lose touch capability.

4. stoneseeker

Did you ever get the cursor jump issue on your t732 though? Or just the memory leak?

5. utopian201

just the memory leak. The cursor seems to lag the pen a little bit if i drag the pen quickly, but it is a constant thing, rather than it lags due to cpu usage, then catches up.

6. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

So I've been testing out a few things over the past month.

1. The cursor jump bug is specific to Windows 7 and does not seem to be caused by interference by other drivers.
    - I did a clean install of Windows 7 (64-bit), installed the chipset driver, followed immediately by the Wacom driver. Even without any other drivers running, the cursor jump happens.
    - I installed Windows XP (32-bit). The cursor jump does not happen there.
    - I installed Windows XP in a virtual machine in Windows 7. Using Virtualbox, I inserted the Virtualbox USB filter driver between the Wacom hardware and the virtual machine, bypassing the Windows 7 driver (so it goes like: Wacom board --> Virtualbox USB filter driver --> Virtualbox). The cursor jump does not happen inside the Windows XP virtual machine.

2. Other things I've tried:
    - I've played around with the driver priority levels. I've set all of the ISD_Tablet.exe, ISD_TabletUser.exe processes to the highest (level 24), but the bug still happens.
    - The DPC latency test revealed nothing.
    I do not even have these installed, and the cursor jump still happens. It's pointing back to an issue with the driver itself.

3. Do not install the latest Wacom ISD driver, 7.1.1-12.
    - The driver combines the pen service and touch service together. That means, you cannot manually disable the touch service (which still has a memory leak, by the way -- I've submitted a bug report to Wacom).

I don't know if anyone's contacted Fujitsu yet. One of these days, I intend to record a video of a drawing session to document the bug. Only issue is, my webcam doesn't have a good macro lens, but I hope the video won't be too blurry. After that, we should compile together a comprehensive bug report to send to Fujitsu.

By the way, would anyone be interested in my Win7 "clean install" procedure for the T902? (I'll start a new thread for it) I ended up with an installation without all the crapware (i.e. AMT, bluetooth stack, various Fujitsu utilities). I managed to pull Win 7's startup RAM usage down to 1 GB now, as opposed to 1.7 GB before.

7. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, really good stuff!

You just saved me the hassle of going driver by driver to find the issue.

On my machine I get the curser jump more often after the computer has been running for a long time. That's why I suspected it was some type of memory leak.

This means it's quite possible that there is a service or startup program running native in Windows 7 that doesn't play nicely with our computers. I'm thinking of disabling services one by one to see if it makes any difference.

BTW, I'm sorry if this has been answered already but is this problem just a Win 7 thing? Does Win 8 have the same problem? It would be ridiculous to have to downgrade to Windows XP to fix the issue.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. stoneseeker

Wow, Jan c, that is super helpful, thankyou!
    So you didn't have synaptics driver installed when testing either?
    And yes, I would be one of the ones who would love to know what windows installed components I could live without. Please share your procedure!

I am baffled by your findings though. Why are the Fujitsu's reacting with windwos 7/8 in this way? It must be something specific to Fujitsu firmware perhaps?? I wonder why the wacom driver isn't reacting this way to windwos 7 on other devices. It's bizarre.

I will contribute whatever information you need to the official report to Fujitsu that you compile. Thanks for taking this by the horns, I think if we all who are experiencing this contribute our voices to this issue, Fujitsu may listen and try to find a solution.

I wonder if Vista would react in a similar way?

Also, I agree with tabrocker, My cursor issue happens more frequently when my machine is hotter, or has been running for a long period of time. Also seems to happen more often with heavy CPU usage. Don't know if that means it's heat related, or CPU resource related.

9. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Correct. I do not have the Synaptics driver installed while testing.

@Tab Rocker -- It's been reported Win 8 does not have this problem: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...edia-professional-right-now-7.html#post323310
    @stoneseeker -- Well, Win 7 does have a LOT more services compared to XP. Something simply isn't playing nice.

Yes, I'm finding the same behavior, but not always. It can happen during idle time on my machine. Really scratching my head on this one...

10. stoneseeker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.