wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

It's really weird, seems to be a hit or miss.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Do you have access to the older drivers?

If your looking for one in particular, let me know. I have an extensive collection...

3. AngelJ

AngelJ Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know how some of you guys can tolerate doing real work with this thing. After spending a few months trying to use the T902 for school I decided I hate it because of all these pen/touch issues. I'll be looking to sell mine ASAP to replace it with anything else.

It's too bad, I really wanted to like the T902 and lusted for it for a long time before buying one. In the end my 2760p was just a much more pleasant convertible to work with. :(

4. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to with the T902 as well. I thought I might be able to tame or work around its glitches, but in the end I just found it to be more of a headache than it was worth and moved on. Shame, it would be a great computer if there weren't so many touch and pen issues.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I guess its just a matter of what you get used to.
    With my unit, I use it daily, every day of the week, and do ALL my serious work on it. I don't have a desktop or any alternative for animating, After FX and painting. 2 years + and still going very strong too! I shudder to think of how many hours of demanding crunch time this thing has been through.

Using a drawing glove and turning off touch has made it a strictly work device for me, and I only see the pen glitch a few times a day so it makes no difference. I mean I still play video games from time to time, but I mostly ignore the touch function since on my unit it is particularly poor. I don't need touch for my work though, and I prefer it off anyway.

The pen glitch annoyed me too at the beginning (mostly in theory since I paid so much), but nothing came close to being able to replace it for my needs, so I learned to work with it and its been way less compromise than any other machine could offer. The 2 batteries and 16 gigs ram saves my ass daily, and the CPU on such a large screen (for Wacom TPC's at least) is the only offering of its kind (with some recent exceptions finally). The X230t is the other close relative, but I feel starved for res and space on 1200 x 800, whereas 1600 x 900 on 13.3 feels just enough for a main use machine.

Overall I have been most impressed with the build quality and hardyness of it. I put it through the ringer and it hasn't so much as busted a pixel yet. No failed parts, still performs as strong (sometimes stronger) as day one. I'm just so used to my set-up with it now that trying to work on the huge i-macs at work when showing another animator something is completely frustrating.

The other thing worth noting is performance when laying down strokes. I find the lag noticeable on a cintiq/i-mac set-up when dealing with heavy brushes in large PSD's. I have very little tolerance for lag when painting, I want it to feel snappy since I work very quick. Waiting for a brush to catch up is way worse to me than seeing it skip away and jump back every couple hours. For some reason the T902 is still the most responsive I've felt in any portable system for large painting work.

anyway, that's just my own use-case and thoughts, but I can totally understand how it would not be for everyone. Hopefully the Cintiq Companion 2 and forward will replace the need to re-purpose tabletPC's for art anyway. Including dedicated GPU's and more robust keyboard and battery solutions will be the next step I look forward to in a CC to really convince me to jump ship.

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

With the lastest Wacom driver (v7.2.1-21) scrolling with touch in Win8 is really buggy. So I went back to v7.2.0-10.
    Any one else having issues with it?

7. tabletier

tabletier Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any other tablets on the market that combine multi-touch and wacom digitizer that do not have these problems? Would comparing those tablets to the t902 help determine what is causing these issues?

8. robasgrow

robasgrow Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I never posted before, but I read extensively the precious information you guys shared, and this helped me a lot deciding what pc tablet I should buy in the past (I owned an X201t, T5010 and my current machine is a T901). I know for sure my preference for old EMR (I sometimes draw details somewhat slowly, and I'm bothered by jitter in Ntrig and AES, even though I only seriously tried a sony vaio Flip 15 for a few days - and hated it).
    I'm an illustrator, I mainly use Photoshop and MangaStudio, some Illustrator, and lately a bit of After Effects. I'd like to explore a bit of animation and very light 3d modeling in the near future too. I'm mostly happy with my T901's performance (i5 2520M, upgraded it with a SSD and 16GB RAM), but I'd really love a digitizer with higher resolution (a better CPU/GPU would not harm either, as well as the added touch screen capability). I used a HP pro X2 612 G2 for a few days, but it doesn't look as a very powerful machine (i5-4202Y, max 8GB RAM), and I actually don't need its 176ppi density (I hade to scale up windows 10 to more than 125%).

I have a good chance to buy either a T902 or a x230T (i5 3320M in both cases). The former would be perfect for me, but having read the whole thread here I'm really worried the pen cursor glitch would bring me to hate it (I'm a bit OCD, and I've been spoiled by my T901's reliability). I was wondering if there is any reliable information about how the machine behaves in Windows 10 (I recall I read that under Windows XP didn't have the problem at all; but I have no idea of whether the firmware is different in Windows 7-8-10) , and whether there is hope to get some 'lucky' unit that has almost no trace of the problem. I read that thread with a poll among users, and what @stoneseeker told in some posts about info gathered by asking other users, and I'm inclined to believe ALL units have the problem to some degree, unfortunately. I would have no problem using a glove to reduce the issue, but repeated appearance of it experienced by some users would still bother me I'm afraid.
    I'm thinking about the x230T (smaller screen not appealing, but it's 125ppi vs 114ppi in t901, touch, and a better CPU/GPU) or keeping the T901 (do I REALLY NEED those extra features after all?), and can't really decide at the moment :)

Thanks already if you read this long post, any comment/reply will be appreciated!

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@robasgrow I own X220T which is very similar to X230T. Everything works as it should; however, WWAN modem drivers seem to break fastboot. It's a shame your T901 lacks touch, otherwise I'd recommend to put a quad-core i7 there and call it a day. Also, for both my tablets I currently use default Windows 10 drivers for touchscreen and digitizer; every time I install recent Wacom, I have problems with either palm rejection or multitouch - or both! )'= Not that it causes much problems, less calibration points aside.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    robasgrow likes this.
  10. robasgrow

robasgrow Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks @Starlight5 ! I read about the interesting possibility to install a quadcore Sandy Bridge in T901, but I got the impression that on the long run the cooling system is overwhelmed by the higher TDP with nasty effects.
    Good to know about the issue with fastboot and Wacom drivers for the Lenovo! I'm sure neither would bother me, but while I'm still afraid of the pen glitch I keep being tempted by the T902's larger screen :) I'll give myself a couple more days and finally decide whether I prefer taking the risk (T902) or playing it safe (X230T or even keeping the good old T901).

Starlight5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.