wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I wish there was more than just a "like" option sometime.

Your research is amazing! Could you take pics of the shielding? I'm curious how far it comes out in relation to the digitizer/screen... are we talking any overlap, or is it meant to sit perfectly square to it?

Also will you be testing the newest firmware release from Fujitsu/Wacom or the older original one?

Also, I forget if you are on win 7 or win 8... not that it effects firmware I guess.

Keep it up, we are all routing for you.

2. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I'll get a pic of the back of the digitizer sheet.

I'm using windows 7 right now, but the firmware does actually matter between windows 7 and 8. I tried using 8 firmware on windows 7 to test it out and I lost my X axis and had no pressure sensitivity :D

I'm not exactly sure why the drivers would need different data like that, but that gives me some useful variation to compare between firmware versions.

There are also different versions between 32 bit win8 and 64 bit win8, but the win7 version is the same for both 32 and 64 bit. No idea why that is (yet).

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I might have brought this up before somewhere in the last 33 pages, but I don't remember. I've been pondering saving up and buying one of these- screen res is nice, battery life good, I need a DVD player occasionally still, its powerful, has a silo and a 2 button pen, etc- but I am 100% interested in a touch enabled Windows 8 device. I've seen these on eBay loaded with Win8, or including Win8 OS discs, so I figure Fujitsu is providing Win8 drivers, etc for this model now. There are Wacom Win8 drivers now too. So it seems all that's working now.

My major concern is that this glitch is going to show up all the time if I use a t902 with touch enabled. Is this true? Is something specific setting it off? Do some people have devices that don't have the glitch? Or is it everyone? I'm just not interested in paying 1200-2300$ for a tablet that I can't use Touch on or with which l I have to wear a glove to draw, just so this glitch won't happen.

Can anyone give any input on this? I've been looking at the x230t as well, which is cheaper and just as powerful, but my research says the t902 has a better screen (as well as bigger), the 2 button pen, and the docking bay, all of which have value to me.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  4. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Just called in to Fujitsu this morning for a quick update. They're still investigating the pen glitch problem, and they believe it's a software rather than a hardware issue (the rep said, if it had been a hardware issue, they would've been able to fix it right away). However, since all their software is third-party, they've been trying to narrow down the vendor responsible, which is taking a long time (so we're at the vendor's mercy...). I'm told that Fujitsu's headquarters is aware of the issue as well, since bug reports have been streaming in from various channels.

Plognark, stoneseeker and SpiralMagus like this.
  5. stoneseeker

Jan_c: May I ask how you are getting such honest and indepth information from Fujitsu?? Normally customer support just feeds you lines and you never get anywhere... did you say you have a friend who works for Fujitsu, or did you just manage to get through to someone of importance somehow? Super helpful information either way, and this is really good to hear they are on it and getting pressure from their customers. I just don't get what 3rd party software could cause it if it happens on a stripped down retail version of windows with no extra drivers installed. AND linux. Are they including the wacom firmware and USB hub in the list of suspects?? Seems to me looking for a rogue program is the same wrong tree we barked up for the first 20 pages or so.

Steve: I don't know if the glitch happens to every unit, but it would be safe to assume that this is the case, as no one who owns one on here has claimed the glitch doesn't happen to them. Everyone who we've asked or has ever brought it up with, a T902 has the glitch.
    The other thing to note is it doesn't matter if touch is turned on or off, the glitch is there regardless. So the T902 functions perfectly fine as a touch device, and touch does not increase the rate of glitch when you are using it in conjunction with the pen... but if you want to draw glitch-free on this device right now, you need the glove. I know this doesn't sound like it makes sense, but unless you were able to turn touch off at a hardware level, the glitch will happen regardless, so you can use touch and pen and the situation isn't getting any worse.. The glove is just a temporary way of turning off touch reception at a hardware level until the issue gets sorted.

In your case, (not liking the glove solution) I would wait to see what Fuji has up their sleeve for the Haswell gen rather than wait to see if they fix this or learning to live with a glove. Me, I'd rather draw with a glove anyway cause it feels nicer gliding my palm on the screen. My touch is all frigged up sadly, but many other have found the touch experience on the T902 to be flawless.

Plognark likes this.
  6. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

@Stoneseeker I lucked out and managed to find a customer service rep simply by emailing the local support contact in Hong Kong. I think because the local Fujitsu office serves a much smaller region than say, an entire country (e.g. the US), they're able to keep track of service requests somewhat better.

As for the 3rd party software, "3rd party" in this case means any vendor other than Fujitsu, which would include Microsoft and their default drivers. I would assume it includes firmware (made by Wacom) and BIOS (made by Phoenix) too. We don't have specific words for firmware, driver, and BIOS in Chinese -- they're all referred to as "software". But the rep assured me that they're still investigating the issue; it's just that getting support from the vendors takes time.

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Stoneseeker,
    I'm actually getting a SmudgeGuard- it's coming in the mail. Would something like this suffice? I remember reading about people having to put a glove inside a glove. That's crazy! :) But hypothetically, if I like the SmudgeGuard, and it's known to work, then that would be good enough for me.

Re: Touch- so, my understanding is that (for most t902 users) Touch works fine in Win8, right? It's just the combo of the pen with touch in quick succession (like when your palm is touching the screen, and then you draw) that's the issue. Right?

I'm thinking of doing things like- drawing with my right hand using a SmudgeGuard, and then having an AHK script out (not Artdock-- more like what me and lblb have been working on) that I can tap with my left hand to activate things.

I'm mostly just trying to understand how people are actually functionally using the t902, given this glitch. I could wait for the t903, but unless it's a completely redesigned chassis/ detachable/ etc it's really just a power/ battery life upgrade. Plus, it'll be full price and waaaay beyond my pay grade. I've been sort of waiting a year for prices to drop, units on eBay to appear, etc. Now, I can finally get some of these newer devices from last year and actually afford it. So, waiting for the t903 would probably mean having to wait an entire extra year. Booooo!

Of course, in a perfect world, users like Plognark and Jan_C will solve this problem or get Fujitsu to solve it, and then this device will become near perfect! :D We're rooting for ya'!

8. stoneseeker

We don't know yet entirely what's causing it, but touch received (and intentionally blocked with palm rejection as normal) while using the pen seems to be misinterpreted by the firmware, or overloading it or something, causing the glitch. So touch is indirectly responsible, we think. But touch works fine as any other wacom device, but if you can actually turn it off at the hardware level (thick glove) it keeps the glitch from happening.. I would love it if you made a T902 specific auto hot key program to use for touch, i've never tried. I just use the photoshop toolbar that lblb made. The buttons are too small for fingers though.
    The smudgeguard glove doesn't actually block your skin very well by itself (it's not anti-conductive rubber or anything) so a thicker cotton glove cut up over top of smudgeguard would be the only real solution to glitch-free use. haha it is ridiculous I know.

What I do is use a thicker cotton glove and sometimes I also wear a lululemon arm warmer under it which blocks my palm even further. I think the reason I get away with less glove and less gltiches is because my touch is actually gimped on this device right now (I have never dealt with it because I don't need it and need the device to work with) blocking more touch than other peoples who's touch is working properly. I also installed a photodon screen protector that may be blocking more touch as well.

I really hope the glitch gets fixed so people don't have to resort to wearing a glove all the time with it, but I will say that I managed to get tons of work and painting done on it despite the glitch even before I wore a glove a lot. Perhaps thats because my touch was so spotty from the start! haha a broken touchscreen was actually alowing me to be more productive.

9. Plognark

I ran win8 with touch enabled early on, and I have to say, it responded wonderfully. It's just this accursed pen issue that I have a problem with.

The good news is that my laptop is back together (mostly), I just need to finish taping it up once the new double sided screen adhesive comes in and it'll be back to 100%.

The new screen is perfect... actually, I think it's better than the original one. That one had a dead pixel a few inches to the right of center that used to drive me crazy.

This is good because it means I don't have to go through installing and setting up Ubuntu on my desktop to configure the face dancer board.

I know a bunch of illustrators who use cotton drafting gloves just because it lets their hands glide over tablet surfaces better. Also prevents skin oils and sweat from gunking up the screen. It's a kludgy fix, but a fix nonetheless :)

10. Plognark

Still chugging away when I get free time. Big learning curve to get the facedancer working :p

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.