wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Here's mine. I'm all for this! Make a google doc and I'll spread the word to dump our info in this format here.

Luke Buxton, Nova Scotia, Canada.
    customized Fujitsu T902

* Hardware specs:

* CPU i7-3520m
    * RAM 2x8GB Gskill
    * Hard drive/SSD 500GB SSD Crucial M4

* Driver specs:
    * BIOS version: 1.03
    * Wacom firmware version ?? How do I check this?
    * Operating system: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    * Wacom driver version: 7.0.9-7
    * Chipset driver version 9.3.0.1020
    * Graphics driver version 9.18.10.3165

* Usability:
    * How often the glitch occurs: Varies widely. Anywhere from 1-2 times per minute (!!) to once per hour.
    * Any software the glitch occurs more often in, if applicable: Occurs more often when system is under heavy load, especially in Adobe Flash.
    * Any circumstances the glitch occurs more often in, if applicable: During more intense CPU tasks
    * Any action taken that has reduced the frequency of the glitch: wearing a glove, uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage driver seemed to help, difficult to tell.

2. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Control panel -> Pen tablet properties -> Ctrl-click the About button

I've set up the initial Google doc (as a spreadsheet) here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq4_cQGSN_J4dGQ3bXhRM3piLTFxcWsxMHMxck5hOUE&usp=sharing

If you need to find out any additional hardware info (like drive models), use a tool like HWInfo64 (free): HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Again, let me know anyone thinks up of additional columns to add. It will be a living document.

3. stoneseeker

is it the version number? If it is, it's 1.15

Should we update the doc with our info ourselves?

4. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Dude, +1 for this. I need replacement screws since a couple of mine are nearly stripped, and I don't feel comfortable taking my T901 apart anymore because of this. I haven't been able to find any anywhere. This is a really neat resource that should probably be in a sticky in this forum.

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Any news on this?

I've occasionally thought of getting a used one of these on ebay, now that I see prices around 1000$ sometimes, but I admit this issue has given me pause. I don't paint with a glove, and I don't want to. I also don't want to turn off touch on my brand new 1000$ machine, as touch is something I want to be using more and actually like.

I also admit that I really want to use Artdock on a 13" screen, but no one has gotten that to work/ set up it's profile yet on a t902 yet, right? I would imagine, with all you professional artist types, that this would have been done by now..... ;) Of course, you all are turning off touch, in part, so that sort of nips Artdock in the bud.

Anyways, it's been about 10 days since the last post here, so I thought I'd check in.

7. stoneseeker

Hey Steve, nothing new recently that I am aware of.

A couple things to consider:

-a smudge guard glove does improve the experience to the point where it doesn't seem to effect me anymore... and it is less obvious or dramatic when it does. However, it helps regardless of whether touch is on or off.

-Turning touch on or off does not effect the occurrence of the issue at all.. Touch operates the same as any other wacom tabletPC, some like dawing with it, others don't. Regardless of what device your using, stray marks can happen with your palm when the palm recognition doesn't kick in at the right moment (you put your palm down first) which is why I turn off touch when I am drawing.

-The reason we were turning touch off at the service level in the past was to prevent the wacom driver ISD-user memory leak (unrelated to the glitch). That issue at least was thankfully SOLVED in the latest driver from wacom.

- I have never tried to make a artdock for the T902. I would love a working artdock, but like you I have no clue about it. I don't even know how it works, or why it wouldn't work on some devices. Don't you just change the driver attributes to match the screen size of the machine? I wish I knew, I'm hoping the thread you started on the artdock info will help with that information.

-LAstly,

yes, the cursor glitch is an unfortunate stain in what I would consider the best digital artist tool I have ever owned.
    Regardless of that glitch, with a glove on my drawing hand I can happily draw away with hardly ever seeing the issue, and am much happier with this device than any other I have tried. Recently, I got a month to use the ATIV 700t and found it to be quite restrictive (although still a nice alternative) and further solidified my position that the T902 was still very much the best tool for me. Having owned the Asus ep121, 700t, cintiq 15x, Intuos 4 and having used the Surface Pro. I can say that the T902 is still much more versatile, powerful, and better for my art purposes than any of them by a long shot.

The glitch seems a small (albeit unnecessary) price to pay to have a full powered computer at my fingertips that I could use to make a full animated film at any step of the production pipeline.

EG. - I flip the screen around to type this post, I flip it back to thumb through images of inspiration with touch enabled, listen to my favorite tunes that are all on my SSD cause there is so much space to keep them on, turn off touch (optional, but regardless takes a total of 5 seconds... I counted) begin editing a video clip in After Effects that would have choked my last desktop, meanwhile I can open up CS6 photoshop and start preparing assets while after effects is rendering my scene, and simultaneously running Chrome in the background and uploading to dropbox... With the large screen and high res I am comfortable drawing and animating by hand all day without ever feeling too cramped... and I can do it all day at a coffee shop without worrying about a plug, because with 2 batteries I am getting 7 hours easy (even during demanding tasks).

At the end of the day, this thing is the best there is. Even with it's flaw.

If you can't wear a glove, it will still be a pleasant drawing experience, but you would have to get used to a more frequent hiccup when drawing. Hopefully, something is discovered to fix the firmware so I can claim with no compromise that it is the best option available to digital artists with demanding needs right now.

8. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry for the lack of updates; I needed a little bit of a break from working on this to take care of other pressing issues. That and the broken screen, of course, but that's my own fault :)

I still need to crack open the case to get a look at the main Wacom board, and get better high quality pics of all of the Wacom parts. That may not lead anywhere, but it can't hurt, and it would be nice to get a full outline of the hardware involved.

I think the approach that needs to be taken now is to spoof the firmware updater to get it to install itself into memory. That way we can get a look at the actual machine code. I'm sure there's something for Linux that can do it, but it's new territory for me.

As far as artdock goes, I have some pretty good experience with autohotkey scripts, and I was actually working on porting it to fujitsu when this stupid glitch derailed me. If we can fix this glitch I'd be happy to go back and code it up for fujitsu. The problem with the firmware glitch is that even with a working artdock panel it'll still trigger since the Wacom hardware would still be processing all of the touch input.

9. Plognark

I think jan_c is on the right track with libusb-win32, but I think the problem there is that the firmware is expecting a response faster than any PC can provide. It would be awesome if it worked, but I doubt that tweaking the OS files will make much difference.

I have a suspicion that Fujitsu put really aggressive timings in the firmware for this Wacom configuration to make the touch experience as snappy as possible, without realizing that it would crap out when combined with pen input at the same time.

10. Plognark

Just for future reference, the LCD screen for the T902 is an LG LP133WD2.

IMG_T902_LCD.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.