wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, 12 pins coming in from the active digitizer. 10 going out from the touch digitizer. Entirely possible that some of the pins on the active digitizer aren't used though. Hmm...

View attachment 4157

2. Plognark

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe lapping the die on my heatsink after some previous discussions, so I'll take a look. I plan on opening up the body to look at the main Wacom board anyway.

The only major problem for me now is to make sure there is absolutely no dust trapped between the screen and active digitizer panel.

I did do a tiny bit of damage to one part of the screen case. If you look at the first pic I posted, notice that black plastic bar at the bottom? That's a separate plastic panel on the lid towards the top, right behind the camera. That part is screwed in place, but it was also secured with tiny plastic pegs that had been compressed into rivets to give it a more uniform fit. That's the first time I've ever seen that type of joining in any sort of hardware. The plastic is brittle, so the little pegs all popped off. That plastic part can get screwed back in place, and it has separate clip-tabs, so I don't think it will compromise the integrity of the lid.

ETA: Here's a pic: The tiny black holes at the top are where the plastic rivets were. They're quite brittle; it wouldn't surprise me if a modest drop on the ground would pop some of them lose. You'd hear a little bit of plastic about the size of a half grain of rice rattle around in the screen.

I will say that I never would have gotten the screen case open (undamaged) without breaking them and removing that top mini-panel first.

IMG_0206_plastic_rivet_holes.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

@Plognark You are a true hacker :) Void that warranty!

I can't quite tell from the pictures, but can you read off the numbers printed on the various chips? i.e. I see the Wacom one in the middle and a Toshiba one in the corner. I want to look up what those are -- whether there's a DSP (the Wacom one probably is), flash memory, RAM, USB controller chip, etc., and whether there are known issues with any of them (as well as determining the flash memory's protocol).

I'm experimenting with libusb-win32 right now, inserting software filters in various places trying to see what sort of data I can capture out of it. Even though we're suspecting the firmware to be the culprit, I think it's also possible that the computer (acpi.sys) is not issuing the USB "success" messages fast enough back to the firmware, causing the firmware to think there was a transmission error and thus re-sending whatever's in its buffer.

4. Plognark

I do have more pictures of each chip. These two are the 'baby' boards though, so I don't think they have what we want. I need to open the case and get to the main Wacom board that translates everything into USB. The chip pictures I took aren't great, so I'll try to get better ones this afternoon when the lighting sucks less.

Your hypothesis that the USB success messages aren't getting there fast enough sounds entirely plausible. Something is resending the buffer, and it gets worse as the touch data it has to chew through increases.

I have Ubuntu installed, but I haven't had a chance to get the linux Wacom drivers set up. I'm a Linux noob. I know we had confirmation that the glitch shows up in Linux, but I want to test it myself and make sure we have multiple sources confirming it. At that point I'd think that it has to be bios or firmware.

I'll see if I can find a PDF datasheet for the pin-out on these boards. I think Wacom sells them as an integrated unit, so they may only give limited specs to hardware manufacturers.

5. Plognark

Ugh, looks like I cracked the LCD while I was getting it apart. Anyone know a reputable replacement screen seller?

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

AGHH! I wish I could hit "don't like" button. That sucks so bad!!!
    Theres this ebay seller who regularly sells T902 parts like the digitizers, fans, etc. Try asking them if they could get a hold of a LCD for you. eBay My World - lifebookpartshere

And this one!: eBay My World - janaslaptopparts They say to inquire if you are looking for any specific Fujitsu parts.

Gosh I hope you can get it fixed easy and cheap!

7. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Aww, dangit! If there's a part number printed on the screen, see if you can search for that instead of searching by seller. I tend to search Amazon sellers for parts like this rather than eBay, because of the buyer protection.

I remember cracking my notebook's 15" LCD screen some 12 years ago while taking it apart. Now THAT was expensive to replace back then! (On the upside, I was left with some cool polarizer sheets to play with...)

BTW, be careful of the liquid crystal fumes if it leaks. That stuff is nasty.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Plognark

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm bummed, but I'm trying to keep in mind that I've wasted a lot more money and gotten a lot less out of past acts of reckless curiosity :)

Looks like this one will be in the $120-$150 range, so that's not too bad.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Plognark, your endless patience and optimistic enthusiasm are seriously inspirational. seriously.

Jan_c, any news or correspondence from your Fujitsu tech contact? Has their been any official Fujitsu conversation where they have made it clear they are officially aware of the issue and investigating it? Has the issue effected more than just artists I wonder?

10. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't heard back from Fujitsu. You know what, I'm thinking we should put together a database/survey of all our T902 configurations, including hardware specs, which software/drivers/firmware/BIOS versions we've used, in a group-signed letter to submit to Fujitsu. We need to show them this really, really, needs to be fixed (we shouldn't have to go through the trouble of trying to debug stuff and crack screens!), and that it's not just individual, sporadic cases. Basically, summarize the last 29 pages of this thread into something they can digest more easily, and that is backed by EVERYBODY. What sort of config/specs should we collate?

* Hardware specs:
    * CPU (i5-3350, i7-3520, ...)
    * RAM (1x4GB, 2x4GB, ...)
    * Hard drive/SSD (500GB HDD, 128GB SSD, ...)​
    * Driver specs:
    * BIOS version (1.04, 2.04, 2.07... and whether you upgraded)
    * Wacom firmware version (0115.5, 3033.5, ...)
    * Operating system(s) tested (Win7 32-bit, Win7 64-bit, Win8 64-bit, Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit, ...)
    * Wacom driver version (7.1.0-14, ...)
    * Chipset driver version (9.3.0.1020, ...)
    * Graphics driver version (8.15.10.2696, ...)​
    * Usability:
    * How often the glitch occurs (every 3 minutes, once an hour, once a day, ...)
    * Any software the glitch occurs more often in, if applicable (Photoshop, Flash, ...)
    * Any circumstances the glitch occurs more often in, if applicable (not wearing a glove, ...)
    * Any action taken that has reduced the frequency of the glitch (wearing a glove, uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage driver, uninstalled Wacom driver, ...)​

I can set up a public Google spreadsheet or document to collect this. Any other data we should include?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.